Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

Hey guys...another small update!

Still working on the dashboard...getting there slowly .....so many angles and curves....still have some areas to putty some more and sand some more...:huh:

Was really tempted to make the glove box functional, but decided not to...lol! Still need to make the steering wheel and column as well as the piece that goes below the steering wheel column, at the bottom of the instrument panel...also need to adjust the area where the dash board sits ..... Also need to make the vents for the instrument panel...lol!

Anywho....some pics...watcha think?

imagejpg1_zps4c6a7dde.jpg

imagejpg2_zps30fe583b.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsa66a19cb.jpg

imagejpg4_zps7a131bd6.jpg

imagejpg5_zps949c1165.jpg

imagejpg6_zps7e1803c0.jpg

• Like 2

Hey guys...another small update!

Still working on the dashboard...getting there slowly .....so many angles and curves....still have some areas to putty some more and sand some more... :huh:

Was really tempted to make the glove box functional, but decided not to...lol! Still need to make the steering wheel and column as well as the piece that goes below the steering wheel column, at the bottom of the instrument panel...also need to adjust the area where the dash board sits ..... Also need to make the vents for the instrument panel...lol!

Anywho....some pics...watcha think?

Thats looking excellent (and very similar to how I remembered my WB panel van). Can't wait to see the steering wheel and 3-on-the-tree (its what we called column shifts as they were all 3-speed gear shifts).

Thats looking excellent (and very similar to how I remembered my WB panel van). Can't wait to see the steering wheel and 3-on-the-tree (its what we called column shifts as they were all 3-speed gear shifts).

Hey thanks yogi-bear! Was actually gonna do a 4-on the floor, as in the Overlander , but now that I think about it, I want to do a bench seat like my old kingswood, so it's probably gonna be a column shift ! Lol!

My , pannel van had 4 on the floor ! , but it did start off as 3 on the tree << boo .

But think if that is the way they still do it ! , 6 on the tree << Now that would be a hand full .

Fantastic job your doing , i'm almost thinking we could get in & drive it , But a vinyl on the dash , seats etc

& it will look so real with the detai your doing WOW!! .

My , pannel van had 4 on the floor ! , but it did start off as 3 on the tree << boo .

But think if that is the way they still do it ! , 6 on the tree << Now that would be a hand full .

Fantastic job your doing , i'm almost thinking we could get in & drive it , But a vinyl on the dash , seats etc

& it will look so real with the detai your doing WOW!! .

Thanks matman......! Yeah...I'm kinda undecided at the moment... But I need to decide soon, as I want to do the steering wheel and column next...! I believe that the Overlanders were basically floor shift gears with the hi/low shifters next to the trans tunnel... at least from the pics I have seen, so will want to go this route, however, I'm planning (in my head lol!) an on road chassis that I can also use with this body. So column shift with a bench seat will be just the ticket! .......argh.....!

Ok , that's fine . MOST of the 3 on the tree is still on the column & the shifter part is removed ( not all did that as well , as some still left the column shifter still on ) , when

the 4 on the floor was done ( home jobs very common ) . They just cut hole in floor & put the floor shifter

in & pulled the shifter stick out on the column & left the column as it was !! .

So you could do this ? & have the column set up as 3 on the tree & maybe have the shifter removable from column ? .

Then you can do both !! . Very common here in Australia / New Zealand .

So with the Overlander , 4 / 5 on the floor with old column & on road with column shifter on column .

That will kill two birds with one stone , as the saying goes :D ..

• Like 1

Ok , that's fine . MOST of the 3 on the tree is still on the column & the shifter part is removed ( not all did that as well , as some still left the column shifter still on ) , when

the 4 on the floor was done ( home jobs very common ) . They just cut hole in floor & put the floor shifter

in & pulled the shifter stick out on the column & left the column as it was !! .

So you could do this ? & have the column set up as 3 on the tree & maybe have the shifter removable from column ? .

Then you can do both !! . Very common here in Australia / New Zealand .

So with the Overlander , 4 / 5 on the floor with old column & on road with column shifter on column .

That will kill two birds with one stone , as the saying goes :D ..

Ha! Sounds like a plan to me! Lol.....thanks for the heads up matman !

I'm super impressed with your plastic modeling skills! It's a real pleasure to see the pictures as you work on this project!

I'm super impressed with your plastic modeling skills! It's a real pleasure to see the pictures as you work on this project!

Thanks man!

What an amazing build.

How do you get the curves and detail made? I'd love to scratch build a 1:10 scale truck in styrene some day

What an amazing build.

How do you get the curves and detail made?

Errm......very carefully...! Lol! I joke! Mostly trial and error at first...gather lots of pics of various angles of the subject and study them carefully...try to build it in your mind, one step at a time, in the sequence that you feel is correct. Then build it! Lol!

Been trying to wrap my head around the flooring...:blink:...lol! Eventually decided to rebuild it with a 'step down' at the sides of the chassis so the outer sides lines up with the bottom of the body. Couldn't figure any other way of doing it without having that section raised over the chassis...

I was planning to do bucket seats as the Sandman is outfitted with them, but I think I will try to make the bench seat instead, as it will probably hide most of the raised area. This means that I will also have to consider making it a column shifter :blink:

Anywho, some pics.... Will try to wrap up the flooring tomorrow and start on the seat. Will also try to properly fit the dashboard in as well...

imagejpg1_zps06a8d893.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9d8e9275.jpg

imagejpg3_zps827113db.jpg

imagejpg4_zps31b49c7a.jpg

imagejpg5_zps536ec64b.jpg

imagejpg6_zps2198feb2.jpg

imagejpg7_zpscddc8a66.jpg

imagejpg8_zps5f3653f7.jpg

imagejpg9_zps88256273.jpg

imagejpg10_zps9cf62c1b.jpg

• Like 6

Don't crash it when you will finish it. :D

Max

Lol! I hear you! It's a lot tougher than it looks but it's gonna see light duty only...!

• Like 1

Very nice work mate, really impressive detail on the tray too! brings back a lot of memories from my younger years in Brissie!

Very nice work mate, really impressive detail on the tray too! brings back a lot of memories from my younger years in Brissie!

Hey thanks Quandry!

Would you believe I actually saw a Overlander panelvan driving through mooloolaba the other day...

Ps do you have the Australian Muscle Car magazine with the feature on the overlanders?

• Like 1

Would you believe I actually saw a Overlander panelvan driving through mooloolaba the other day...

Ps do you have the Australian Muscle Car magazine with the feature on the overlanders?

Sweet! Did you manage to grab some pics of it? Lol...!

No I haven't seen that article ...do you have a link to it?

Hey guys, just a small :update: lol...just so's you see I ain't been slacking much..:lol:

Picked up the white gorilla glue....works pretty good! Just need to use it sparingly...it expands a lot..:wacko:

Managed to get one bucket seat done .... Well almost... Still need to complete the bottom of the seat where you see the styrene, and glue some foam to it and shape it a bit...haven't done that as I will need to cut part of the bottom area to fit the 'step down' area on the flooring.

Still don't think I have the correct sand paper, been trying several grits....so it's not perfect...I may re-do them though...maybe after painting them I'll be able to putty the imperfect areas to get a better finish! :thinking:

Anywho...some pics... Will try to complete the bottom piece as well as the back area tomorrow and then start on the other seat...!:huh:

image.jpg5_zps3rqtqccm.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsfbb41jfg.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsm72hwxyx.jpg

image.jpg2_zps8j1np2kc.jpg

image.jpg4_zps13b53ink.jpg

• Like 5

looking very good. I managed to so some test prints of the SANDMAN sticker and a number plate. The cutting is a little off, but I can correct that.

SANDMAN_1.jpg

SANDMAN_2.jpg

• Like 2

looking very good. I managed to so some test prints of the SANDMAN sticker and a number plate. The cutting is a little off, but I can correct that.

SANDMAN_1.jpg

SANDMAN_2.jpg

Wow..yogi-bear! Those look sweet! Great job man!

Another small update..kinda!

Been working on the bottom of the seat where it will fit on the chassis...kinda looks like a component for something else lol..! And it's gonna be covered up....ha!

Well....some pics...Still need to shape and file it to match the seat...lol!

image.jpg1_zpsua0x8g4c.jpg

image.jpg2_zpspwudpag7.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsooy63b48.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsbjfkrwkr.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys, not much of an update, but more of a sneak peek of what I'm attempting...:)

Got the E6000 spray glue in last night...works great! Sets up much faster than the gorilla glue and no need for clamps! Applied it with a brush to the foam and leather, pressed it together for about one minute with my fingers and it held on pretty strong! Dried in about 1-2 hours! Sweet!

Decided to go a different route from painting the foam...lol! Picked up some soft sheepskin leather (about 0.8mm thick), also picked up some leather dye, tan for the front and white for the couches and wall panels in the rear!

This is uncharted virgin territory for me, so hoping that there's a lot less 'oh *******!' moments and more 'badword Yeah!' ones in the next coupla days...lol. :rofl:

Anywho...some pics of the test subjects ... The piece on the right I used the gorilla glue but had to clamp it in order to bond...

image.jpg1_zpsc3bxtapq.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsnspvsegx.jpg

• Like 4