Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

the awesomeness continues!

Lol....! Thanks yogi-bear! Hoping to make some decent progress on it over the next few weeks...!

That looks fantastic , coming along nicely .

Hey guys, another small :update:...:D

Got the bottom of the instrument panel done, but just mocked up the steering column and steering wheel, still need to build the indicator switch etc...need to figure out how I'm attaching the column later on as it needs to be off when I ready to paint the dash.

Anywho...some pics...

image.jpg5_zpsxf5psbz2.jpg

image.jpg4_zpswn57t3lq.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsgftacff1.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvasz3dkh.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsjjfdekov.jpg

• Like 1

Not much of an update...but I did a mock up of the interior....got some mods to do....

The seats need to move forward about 1/2", so will need to mod the trans tunnel where the front of the seat meets it in order to move them forward....will also need to cut about the same amount off the rear of the door handle, as the sides of the seat will also be blocked by them....:

Then the dashboard is about 1/4" too high, so I'm gonna try to make some adjustments to the top of the trans tunnel where the bottom of the dashboard sits in order to lower it some...

I may also need to cut off part of the lower portion of the instrument panel on the right side where it sits on top of the steering servo....

All things considered, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome...! Kinda glad that I didn't open the doors though....:P

Anywho....some pics...

image.jpg1_zpsr8hhyiwg.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsbellzqkj.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsafdfwwao.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsjrnojxxs.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsdsiw6ezw.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsn0u5qkov.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsgcx1m8rk.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsfuctdnx5.jpg

image.jpg9_zps8u3fdgmz.jpg

image.jpg10_zpsbasq8sov.jpg

image.jpg11_zpsrursxrh8.jpg

• Like 1

This is just an absolutely brilliant build, I just don't know where you find the patience to put so much effort into all the minute details. This scratch build will be the standard by which all others are judged....

• Like 1

This is just an absolutely brilliant build, I just don't know where you find the patience to put so much effort into all the minute details. This scratch build will be the standard by which all others are judged....

This just keeps getting better and better! Awesome skills!

Lol! Thanks guys!

Still at it...lol...hoping to lay down some tamiya poly putty tonight to complete the fender flares....

:o

image.jpg1_zpskfqw9wmz.jpg

image.jpg2_zps3yoy40lo.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsr2fklwzy.jpg

image.jpg4_zpscmnhq8xa.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Shaggin-Waggon mate !!

Woot! Another small update!!

Fender flares at about 85% done... decided to go the stacking route...lol! Tested the poly putty, but wasn't to pleased with the outcome....

Left side taped on, need to trim the flat portion a bit...minor adjustment to be done on the front one...then will need to complete the right side pieces. Once I'm happy with those, I'll glue them in...:huh:

Should have them done tomorrow night...!

Some pics...watcha think?

image.jpg1_zpstpcjurge.jpg

image.jpg2_zpslb7s04hb.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsaggn6e1c.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsgjdjovyo.jpg

image.jpg5_zpszrqznnxq.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsiwknmsao.jpg

• Like 1

impressive work on the flares, I'd hate to think how many pieces make up each flare.

Hats off!

Brilliant as always!

impressive work on the flares, I'd hate to think how many pieces make up each flare.

Thanks guys! If I remember correctly, it was nine pieces for each flare...lol! And lots of sanding....!

Hey guys...another small update...kinda...! :blink:

Did some work on the fenders, decided I wanted to keep the fenders looking stock and figure a way to attach the flares so that they are removeable later on when I get an on road chassis for the body....

So I made the bottom part of the lip and slapped some poly putty on and sanded it down....

image.jpg1_zpstpvcopvg.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsettmoemw.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsax9kwhul.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsr7molmnm.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsynhpxhsq.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsmft9feuo.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsnuw3mcqh.jpg

image.jpg8_zpshkldq5gz.jpg

So...decided I'm not gonna attach the styrene flares to the fender after all....

Instead, I picked up a silicone rubber molding kit and some black pigment. Over the next coupla days, I will attempt to make a silicone mold of the styrene flares, then try to cast them using some black colored silicone!

Hopefully they will look enough like real flares and will be able to conform properly to the fenders, unlike the styrene flares which are not flexible and may have been troublesome to attach to the curved/angled parts of the fender.

On the plus side I'm hoping that the procedure is simple enough that I can also attempt to mold the nose panel and the dashboard, so later on I can try to make some resin (?) casts, for the ute, wagon and monaro versions :blink:

Firstly this is amazing and I've been watching with interest. Watched mad max last night and didn't realise that he had one. Your attention to detail is amazing.

Can you use anything other than silicone for the arch fenders.

It will play havoc with your painting and as it's airborne no amount of prep will keep it from the shell.

personally I'd keep well away. Speak from experience (used to paint cars for a living) will keep watching with interest.

Firstly this is amazing and I've been watching with interest. Watched mad max last night and didn't realise that he had one. Your attention to detail is amazing.

Can you use anything other than silicone for the arch fenders.

It will play havoc with your painting and as it's airborne no amount of prep will keep it from the shell.

personally I'd keep well away. Speak from experience (used to paint cars for a living) will keep watching with interest.

Hey thanks zakspeed!

thanks for the headsup on the silicone! Actually it's this silicone rubber that I will be using...

http://www.smooth-on.com/Mold-Star%3D-20T-S/c1420/index.html?catdepth=1

I will make the mold of the flares separately from the car and then cast them in the same silicone rubber but colored. The only time it will be mounted is after the car has been painted and cured properly. Hoping it works out...will test it on some painted scrap first though...!

Another small update guys.....:blink:

Made my moldy thingy.....lol!

image.jpg1_zpskrpbk4l5.jpg

Added some rice...:thinking: :huh:

image.jpg2_zpsukl9w7rk.jpg

More to come soon...

Poured in my silicone mix....I made it blue. The actual casting of the flare is gonna be black...

image.jpg2_zpschtwxwcl.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsnltkufof.jpg

After about an hour or so, I remembered the instructions said, not to add too much color as it could inhibit curing... The regular cure time is 30 mins ...So pulled up the remainder in the cup...seemed to cure okay...:woohoo:

image.jpg1_zpshtabbcgb.jpg

So...grabbed a pic while I was de-molding..

image.jpg2_zpssapt3u08.jpg

Woot...! I gots me a moldy thing...! Lolz! Tonight I'll do the other 3 pieces and then mix up a batch of black and see if'n I could cast me some flares...

image.jpg1_zpsil7iaagk.jpg

image.jpg2_zpszj4kydw3.jpg

image.jpg3_zpswuuifp4f.jpg

• Like 3

Looking great !! , your a man of many talents .