wood5tock

Woodstock's Den

Currently (like a lot of us) I have been using my dinning table to work on my projects but after over a year of Tamiya stuff covering the place I really wanted to get a proper place to do this sort of stuff and store various paraphernalia.

misc_20.jpg

So a plan was hatched that I would transfer the gear up to my den/bedroom up in the loft. There was only one problem, I shared it with this

01.jpg

And hiding behind this was all the associated gubbins for the hot water and central heating

02.jpg

03.jpg

So with the boiler over twenty years old and parts beginning to fail and becoming obsolete I decided to go all out and have a combi condensor fitted along with other stuff so in came the plumbers to take this above,

To this, below.

04.jpg

05.jpg

With all the work done I could now get on with sorting out the, well filling the dirty great hole left in my bedroom :(:(:(

06.jpg

First off I got the floor straight with some new floorboards. Alas after test fitting the new boards I found that the middle ones were rocking on something, not good!

07.jpg

It turned out the main joint in the original cast iron central heat pipe running the length of the bungalow, (originally fitted my my grandpa when he built the place in the 30's ;) ) was just a little proud under were the tanks had been.

08.jpg

A bit of hacksawing later remedied the situation

09.jpg

And the opening was now ready for the floorboards proper

10.jpg

11.jpg

After that it was time to finish off the tongue and groove which was above the tanks. I also ran the cable for the lights which I want to have over the work area.

12.jpg

And now on to today's (15.12.14) work, the plaster boarding.

13.jpg

And finally some architrave and skirting boards to tidy things up a bit :D

14.jpg

Got to get some more skirting which is annoying because as you can see I only need about 2 and a bit feet <_<

So tomorrow I will be filling all the screw holes, gaps and starting the supports for the bench.

ws_bye_for_now.jpg

• Like 10

Flipping heck Woodstock! that is some build! Fair dues to you mate it is looking great :)

• Like 1

Nice work so far, plenty of opportunity for some display shelving there ;)

• Like 1

Awesome stuff Woodstock, I too have been working on a bench / work desk, got the factory workers to press the go button on a section of mdf to my own CAD design, fits like a glove (even around the central heating pipes). Bonus of working in the timber industry is that you have constant supply of scraps or firewood! If you were closer I could have sorted you out in any flavour timber you liked! (Perhaps not walnut...)

• Like 1

I would make use of the space between the studs for recessed shelving

With lights!! ;)

• Like 1

With lights!! ;)

and ice cream machine for Summer and Whiskey dispenser for Winter!! :)

• Like 2

Working on a cunning plan to talk my step son into giving me his large computer desk that i'll convert into a dual level work bench . Seen as he's getting a Tablet for Christmas , and he's sold his desktop comp this might work out :ph34r: . Oh and i'll nick his leather office chair while i'am at it . :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments guys :D

Nice work so far, plenty of opportunity for some display shelving there ;)

I would make use of the space between the studs for recessed shelving

Display wise I have another cunning plan on that in my living room ;)

Nice .. I would have taken the whole room lol

Yes but I need somewhere to sleep and keep clothes etc. Not a pleasant thought a naked Woodstock working on Tamiya filth with sleep depravation... Trust me :P:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

Awesome stuff Woodstock, I too have been working on a bench / work desk, got the factory workers to press the go button on a section of mdf to my own CAD design, fits like a glove (even around the central heating pipes). Bonus of working in the timber industry is that you have constant supply of scraps or firewood! If you were closer I could have sorted you out in any flavour timber you liked! (Perhaps not walnut...)

That sounds rather interesting got any photos? :)

This thread is filling the void now that 'The Great Interior Design Challenge' has finished. Can you paint something in aubergine and get some pretty throw cushions?

• Like 1

This thread is filling the void now that 'The Great Interior Design Challenge' has finished. Can you paint something in aubergine and get some pretty throw cushions?

Pah! far too easy, I'm thinking of a more Baroque style with plenty of gold leaf over complex carvings and some intricate hand painted frescos...

:P;)

• Like 2

Pah! far too easy, I'm thinking of a more Baroque style with plenty of gold leaf over complex carvings and some intricate hand painted frescos...

:P;)

You should hire an artist to paint a fresco on the ceiling of the first 50 Tamiya kits, like the Sistine Chapel lol.
  • Like 2

That sounds rather interesting got any photos? :)

Nope, 'fraid not.

I need to do a little more cutting and drilling tomorrow and maybe when it's finished I'll upload a picture. Bought the pc monitor that will enable me to work from home, then figured out it would take me 25 working days to repay the cost of the screen in saved fuel from the commute...

You should hire an artist to paint a fresco on the ceiling of the first 50 Tamiya kits, like the Sistine Chapel lol.

Now that would be awesome! :)

• Like 1

I have been at it again, this time sorting out the filling and more importantly the work bench :D

First off I sorted the wall support at the back

15.jpg

Next I took the solid pine top, (this matches the desk top I made a while ago where my iMac lives) and marked out where I wanted the legs to go. I went for the type that you would use for a breakfast bar and initially I thought it made the bench too high

16.jpg

However when I sat in my chair and simulated working on one of my Sabres I found it makes a perfect hight to work at as I am not bending over the cars. That'll save my neck when I get into my "I'll just do a bit more tonight" phase. We all know that one :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

17.jpg

Tomorrow I want to give the filled areas a light sand. Then the painting and varnishing can be started :D:D:D

• Like 2

Got the undercoating done today which dried nice and quickly so I could then paint the white on the T&G. I was then ready to add the Duck Egg to the lower parts but on opening the tin I found it had gone off so I couldn't get as far as I would have hoped. So off to the paint supplier after work for a fresh tin, that's if I can de-cypher the paint code on the label :(:(:(

18.jpg

Luckily the T&G dried enough for me to add the overhead lamps :)

19.jpg

Also got a good few coats of varnish on the work top. More tomorrow ;)

• Like 2

I like your work! The place looks good and you're going to have TONS of fun there, too! ;)

Cheers, I am aiming to have it ready for the holidays for just that type of fun :D:D:D

Great job so far!

Thanks buddy ;)

Always great taking on a project yourself like this. It looks like great work, keep the thread updated!

• Like 1

ws_finished.jpg

Right first off on Monday on the way home I picked up some new paint to finish off the walls. Also did the gloss work and another coat or three of varnish on the work top. I then left it all 24hrs to harden off ready for work to begin again today Christmas Eve :D

20.jpg

So this morning I got up early, as i am now off until the 5th, to hopefully finish it all off in time for the main event

21.jpg

Electrics, DONE :)

22.jpg

23.jpg

They work too :lol:

24.jpg

Next was laying and trimming the carpet tiles, in time I will be doing the whole room but for now this will do

25.jpg

Then up came to newly varnished work top, quite heavy and awkward through a loft hatch :wacko:

26.jpg

Mmm... Shine...

27.jpg

With the work top fixed and everything working I also took the opportunity to also move one of my chests of drawers over to it's new home. It's all looking rather good if I do say so my self

28.jpg

Mum bought this bear for me a few years ago now, I think all of us would agree with the sentiment... :lol:

29.jpg

A quick view opposite before the important stuff comes up from down stairs

30.jpg

So here we are all ready for action, really happy with how it's all turned out and more over that I did it all to time ready for PLAYING!!!

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

ws_bye_for_now.jpg

• Like 4

Looks fantastic! Job well done. Only thing missing is a small fridge full of bee.... er, soda :D

• Like 1