b3nchy

Lunchbox appreciation thread

Finally! I got to drive my Lunchie in the snow! Open diff makes things interesting, but what fun. It didn't work at all on grass, and on tarmac, anything other than 20% throttle had it steering off all over the place. I didn't steer at all in this poorly filmed and tragically produced video.

7F71E952-55DD-4CD1-ABE9-99EA9B8F7FDF_zps

BF56B555-BA55-433E-B876-F4DD42317F49_zps

And finally, honestly, I didn't plan this....

AD0F191D-466D-42AF-BCDD-1D39CCD5AE0A_zps

• Like 4

Here are the pictures as promised...

The truck I went to collect is a re-release Lunchbox, alloy body mounts, fully ball-raced, with a Futaba 3003 servo and an old Orion (maybe) modified motor. The shell has seen better days but is salvageable but it does need new chrome and windows.

The 2nd chassis I got offered is an original Pumpkin/Lunchbox (identifiable by the thin steering arms) that is fully ball raced with rubber sealed bearings, a Carson servo, Frog 12mm hex adaptors and the red anodised colour WR02 wheels - it also has the 5th shock mod carried out in a bizarre way with 2 touring car shocks and a bar arrangement! I also got four spare tyres and 2 spare rear wheels.

Tempted to do a "Rollin' Thunder" version with the LB shell and the best bits of the 2 chassis - no idea what to do with the rest at the moment...

All in all, a nice little haul :)

2015-02-03%2021.57.01.jpg

2015-02-03%2022.32.44.jpg

2015-02-03%2022.36.20.jpg

• Like 1

That 3rd shock mod looks funky!

Motor looks like its seen better days though!

Just arrived:

Alloy body pins

Posted Image

RE: Motor - I took it apart and surprisingly the comm isn't worn much at all - no idea what turn it is but it will get reinstalled for a beating anyway :D

They are Tamiya Stadium Blitzer wheels, sprayed red, using Frog Hex adapters on the rear. Tyres are HPI Yokohama Geolanders with foam inserts. They really improve the handling. Shocks are Traxxas with shock socks, Absima 5th shock and HPI Brushless 4300Kv motor and programmable ESC, Junfac rear axle, that's pretty much it. Pic of tyres below vs stock wheel and tyre.

gallery_28308_2409_69325.jpg

Cheers

Nito

Nitomor when u say u get better handling what do u mean? My lb is well modded but still struggle for grip a lot of the time on grass and mud.

Do these sort that out?

Rich, I find the standard tyres don't give much grip in most conditions especially compared to similar sized crawler tyres. The Geolanders are a little lower in profile and with the foams will hold their shape better and have a grippier tread.

If you are running standard tyres they deform as you throw the car around. Putting crawler foams in them should help with that.

like that,try it again at night.

P1020312.JPG

Almost looks like your LB had a roadkill casualty, judging from the red shine on the snow. :)

It lives once again!!

Sadly i wasnt able to do anything with the windows as they have gone really brittle :(

Posted Image

• Like 2

Does anyone make rear light lenses for the LB? I've been thinking about lighting my daughters one for a while but the square rear light cluster with the reverse and indicator built in puts me off. It'd be interesting to see what have people done to get around this?

Does anyone make rear light lenses for the LB? I've been thinking about lighting my daughters one for a while but the square rear light cluster with the reverse and indicator built in puts me off. It'd be interesting to see what have people done to get around this?

I've been thinking about this. I found one picture of a dude who'd cut around the inner reverse/indicator "lights" and left a couple tabs on either side so that the middle didn't fall out and lit it from behind. I'd been thinking about taking that idea further and cutting the centre piece out completely, covering the gap on the inside with a piece of clear plastic sheet, gluing the reverse/indicator piece onto the outside of the clear plastic and again, lighting from behind. I'm happy if someone wants to give this a go before I get around to it!

Nitomor when u say u get better handling what do u mean? My lb is well modded but still struggle for grip a lot of the time on grass and mud.

Do these sort that out?

In a word, yes! Like Mr Crispy said, the inner foams make a big difference and the compound, I only have one video of my Lunchbox with the stock tyres and wheels, and it just cart wheels all over the place; Here, lol!

With the Geolanders it's a different beast altogether, it actual goes where I want it to and is very well controlled, although I am running 5th shock, Junfac rear brace with longer Traxxas dampers all round and a mod to the front wishbones to restrict the positive camber of the longer shocks all round! It all helps, the difference is night and day.

Cheers

Nito

ps. I like the snow vids above, lol, good effort!

1option would be to sand it flat and then drill the holes for led

I did wonder about that but a prefer the look of the original design and like the idea on the glowing red square around the opaque centre section. I guess I could pick up some clear plasticard, drill out the whole lens section and replace it with that. Fit LEDs behind and paint the centre back in. Not used the clear stuff before so that would be new one for me. Just wondered if someone already did a 3D printed version to keep the lens detail.

I am 41 and I love my Lunch Box, Out of all my R\Cs its one of my favs for pure funness!

Its such a strong little model as well.

Lunchbox1_zps348344ec.jpg

Lunchbox_zps044016a0.jpg

• Like 3

I did wonder about that but a prefer the look of the original design and like the idea on the glowing red square around the opaque centre section. I guess I could pick up some clear plasticard, drill out the whole lens section and replace it with that. Fit LEDs behind and paint the centre back in. Not used the clear stuff before so that would be new one for me. Just wondered if someone already did a 3D printed version to keep the lens detail.

Have u thought about using the square leds u can get??

I just noticed your Vanessa driver figure. Very cool, who/what did you *******ise to make that?

Cheers

Nito

I just noticed your Vanessa driver figure. Very cool, who/what did you *******ise to make that?

Cheers

Nito

I put a Barbie head on my Willy and attached it with a bolt and some washers

F41DB06D-9724-48D9-99EA-E9EB8CEBB5CB_zps

Thanks, I thought it would have been Barbie!

Nice touch,

Cheers

Nito

Can anyone suggest/recommend the best place to buy a body shell for the lb. I wanna tidy mine up to use as a shelf queen and then buy a basher body.

Would a lexan body be the best bet?

Hi I found using tamiyas anti wear grease in the diff on all moving parts and metal pins helped make my lunch box go a bit better as the diff don't feel all the way open like in stock form.

you will need to take it apart and degrease all the gears and metal parts in the diff, they have to be bone dry no grease at all so the anti wear sticks and could work as if there is grease left on the parts the anti wear grease won't work as well.

Finally! I got to drive my Lunchie in the snow! Open diff makes things interesting, but what fun. It didn't work at all on grass, and on tarmac, anything other than 20% throttle had it steering off all over the place. I didn't steer at all in this poorly filmed and tragically produced video.

7F71E952-55DD-4CD1-ABE9-99EA9B8F7FDF_zps

And finally, honestly, I didn't plan this....

AD0F191D-466D-42AF-BCDD-1D39CCD5AE0A_zps

• Like 1