kontemax

Runner Boomerang refurbishment

That looks nice Max, very nice touches, I wonder if a nice medium sized NGK red "meatball" wouldn't look more at home on the roof?? I like the way the red is playing nicely off the camel yellow paint you have chosen,, gives a different look to the Boomer

• Like 1

That has come up a treat Max .  Thanks for your time and effort in the build thread & keeping us updated .

I do like that colour combo & stickers . I'm surprised the boomerang has not melted in the heat your having :lol:  .. 

Been a great build so far & Thanks . 

• Like 1

Yesterday rain!

Anyway, the model is yet not finshed, it is missing the driver.

Max

On 05/01/2015 at 0:54 AM, kontemax said:

It's time to make my modification to the rear gearbox to allow the use of a smaller pinion gear. The Boomerang gearbox allows 0.8 module pinion gears from 13 teeth to 17 teeth.

13 teeth give a gear ratio of 1:10 circa that is a good gear ratio for a mild motor of the 80ies. I used a very hot motor on this car so I always needed a smaller pinion gear to obtain an higher gear ratio.

The rear gearbox has some room inside to mount a 12 teeth pinion gear so I decided to do it. The motor position on this gearbox is decided by the position of four 1 mm thick steel plates. These ones:

Boomer39_zpsf38857a8.jpg

I decided that my Boomerang will have five plates instead of four:

Boomer46_zps2bd97463.jpg

Look at the smaller pinion gear.

Boomer47_zpsf81569cf.jpg

Here the five plates in place (marked with the white arrow).

Boomer40_zps25939889.jpg

I made this modification on the old gearbox (you can also see other failures marked with other arrows). If the modification will not work I will not ruin the spare gearbox. Then I close the gearbox partially mounted just to test the modification.

Boomer41_zps23c5a13c.jpg

It works perfectly. Now I can open again the gearbox and repeat the operation on the new parts.

Before to mount the gearbox I must do another little modification again. I must countersink the lower screw to hide the screw head and make clearance for the battery door lock.

Boomer55_zpsef9142cd.jpg

On the other side I rounded a 3 mm lock nut. Then I dented it and put it inside the screw hole.

Boomer57_zpsca1f338f.jpg

Boomer58_zps2f3c0d2c.jpg

Boomer59_zps6db6f6de.jpg

Done!

Boomer56_zps3b1fcaf6.jpg

Max

You forgot these photos Max

I didn't forget them, I yet no had the time to replace them, I'll do it very soon.
:D
Max

Finally I managed to replace all pictures in the thread, now I will delete the entire album from Photobucked.
I will continue with this thread that is slowly going to the end.

Max

Searching for a used in good condition (or new) body mount.
I wouldn't like to buy the entire plastic tree for these elittle pieces.

Cheers and thanks

Max

Well, I dont need them

I hadnt realised but my boomerang has alloy body mounts. Must be a period hop up?

Ive been trying to work out how much it will cost to post them to Italy. Pm me your address and ill see what it costs.

Shame, my italian friend went back to visit family a couple of days ago, he could have took them with him :)

Is the tree not available to you on ebay? I paid £4 for the tree. Probably going to cost £2 to get these to you.

Im happy to send them though.

Hi Graemevw,

it's just a matter of mindshape.
I don't like to waste items, time, money, everything so I preffer find the little parts I need than remain with a lot of useless pieces.
Anyway I'll write you in PM.
The alloy parts are probably a 3th part optional of the era.
Tanks you.

Max

• Like 1

Great thread! Very inspiring! Your Boomerang is fantastic! I look forward to some running video/photos...

Thank you Paullujay, this Boomerang was a runner and now is retired after this restoring work but I have another model of the same line that will be my next runner.
The Rat Shot is another long term project but like all my project I will finish it one day.

Boomer_180.jpg

Max

• Like 2

Tempus Fugit.
Always no time to continue my projects.
Sob!

Max

• Like 1