Thommo

Super Astute Rebuild

I haven't timed it. But I've run an entire 4000mah LiPo batteries through it on several occasions and nothing has grumbled. The motor does get warm, but is fitted with a wrap around heatsink, and the ESC only gets warm to the touch. And that was running on short grass during the summer months.

The only reason I intend to gear down a little is for my sake, not the equipment.

That's encouraging. I have an old 16x2 Kyosho Mega Motor here, I might even give that a go.

Dampers fitted and it's starting to look like a buggy now!

SuperAstute260115%20007%20Medium_zps0xsn

SuperAstute260115%20008%20Medium_zpsxcjr

The manual shows Hi-Cap dampers as a Hop Up option with the front to be built at 71mm and the rear at 92mm. To achieve 71mm with the front TRF dampers you fit 2 x 3mm O'rings (the red ones) under the damper piston as a limiter. After much stuffing around with the fronts, I worked out that the lower ball end and spring retainer that comes with these dampers just doesn't work. It binds with the lower arm on down stroke and the arm gets stuck. I overcame this by fitting the original Super Astute lower ball end and spring retainer as you can see here. Now its got the best possible range of movement with the damper mounted on the outermost position on the lower arm.

SuperAstute260115%20009%20Medium_zps0ffd

The rear dampers just build as per instructions and fit up nicely. However the rear springs need to be quite hard so I've swapped out for some 3Racing DB01 springs and painted them white with PS paint to match. PS paint is best for springs as it can flex without flaking.

SuperAstute260115%20011%20Medium_zpswb9h

Not much remaining in the box now !

SuperAstute260115%20014%20Medium_zpskn5x

Under-cowl painted up and some silicon and body tape used in some of the weak spots inside the body shell.

SuperAstute260115%20016%20Medium_zpsx5az

• Like 3

Fabulous work! Good call on the stiff rear springs, too - my Astute requires several spring tensioners just to keep the rear wheels from cambering.

Fabulous work! Good call on the stiff rear springs, too - my Astute requires several spring tensioners just to keep the rear wheels from cambering.

Hey Grastens, you could try either Stadium Blitzer or Boomerang rear springs to keep the bum from dragging ;)

Bought some new wheels to pair with the new tyres that came with the purchase. Also fitted the undercowl and wing.

SuperAstute010215%20051%20Medium_zps5ybl

Here are some of the first pics with the restored body fitted. I'm really pleased that the TRF dampers fit so well with the original look of the car, being grey in colour that is.

SuperAstute010215%20036%20Medium_zpstocw

SuperAstute010215%20031%20Medium_zpsrume

SuperAstute0102152%20002%20Medium_zpsdut

SuperAstute010215%20087%20Medium_zpslt49

SuperAstute010215%20073%20Medium_zpsvnki

SuperAstute010215%20058%20Medium_zpsheiy

Thanks for checking it out. This project and thread is far from over though. I still have to sort some tyres for running and give this thing a good shakedown. Then I'll think about dropping that 16x2 Kyosho Mega Motor in the back and see how that goes.

• Like 5

I suggest a faster motor for this drivetrain, For example a brushed motor from 14 to 11 turns will be good.

Max

Looking forward to the video with the Kyosho Mega ,

I like the colour blend with the printed parts

Thanks so much Guys and Yeah, very pleased with it so far. I've just added it to my showroom. Here's some more pics.

SuperAstute010215%20085%20Medium_zps73gv

SuperAstute010215%20084%20Medium_zpsrfrn

SuperAstute1402152%20003%20Medium_zpsio9

SuperAstute1402152%20007%20Medium_zpszws

• Like 2

Well it's taken a month but my hotter motor finally arrived. I went for the new LRP V10. It's the Spec. 5 which is a 17 x 2 turn and Yeah Boy... this thing is seriously fast. The brushes had been partially run in from factory but I gave them another 15 min on 3V before fitting it up with the 25t pinion. The Super Astute went mental fast with this set up on a quicrun 1060 and 2S LiPo. Too fast, so I'll drop down to 23t pinion first I think and give it another run.

SuperAstute010315%20002%20Medium_zpsdzwl

Project still going.  

• Like 4

That's a nice and tidy SA.

I run the TTC on a plastic Madcap chassis with TZ stock fitted and 25t pinion with 2s LiPo, and it is very fast. Too fast for me. The TZ is 23 turn and about 22,000 rpm under no load, so that 17x2 must be insanely fast. On short grass I have to loosen off the slipper clutch to help keep the nose down. Like you, I'm thinking that I should gear down a bit just to make things easier for myself, but it's just so much fun at those speeds. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Fruitfly01, I considered going with a TZ but the LRP was only $5 more and has adjustable timing and bearings. You're right, it's nuts. I used to run a 4000KV brushless in my Astute runner and this thing is easily comparable to that for speed. 30400 rpm.

I've gone all traditional and don't run brushless in any of my vintage cars anymore. I paid $16 for the quicrun speedy and $34 for the LRP 17x2 (plus postage) so pretty good value considering the performance. This is my first quicrun and must say, it's brilliant and as good as the higher end Speedy's no worries.

Just looking for some info here.

The Astute front shock tower is too short for the TRF dampers and I really don't like the appearance of the Fibre Lyte alternative. I was just browsing and see that the Dyna Storm front tower looks to be quite similar (but taller).

Has anyone seen or tried fitting a Dyna Storm front shock tower onto one of these ? Or can someone please tell me the dimension in between the 2 x lower mounting holes and their height up from the bottom edge of the Dyna Storm front tower ? Cheers.

#EDIT# Thanks to Snappy1 for the PM and your great help. Looks like ORB Racing will be producing a shortened, custom Dyna shock tower specifically for use with TRF Buggy Dampers. Hopefully these can be made to suit the Astute / Super Astute bulkhead and away we go !

Well this must be the last photo I have of this car as a runner.  The rebuild continues though with every new and original part saved or collected over the last few years with a view to restore this Super Astute to it's original glory.  This car came to me with some spare NIP parts and screw bags so with only a couple of parts coming from the Super Astute (2018), she will soon rest at my workbench as a fully restored survivor.

I'll post some updates but no hurry..... I don't do anything quickly !  :D

IMG_2340.jpg

• Like 4

Restored true to the original car with NIP screw bags and new spare D parts and tyres that came with the car.  All other parts are original including the body, wing, TTC cover and wheels.  Thanks @mtbkym01 for your help getting the wheels white again ;)  The lower eyelets on the rear dampers, the undercowl and the fresh spur gear are the only parts from the SA (2018) kit. 

SA240319 (1).JPG

SA240319 (2).JPG

SA240319 (3).JPG

• Like 4

Great stuff mate, glad the wheels turned out well, they look awesome, as does the whole car

So all these years later how did the 3D printed parts hold up?
I printed a bunch of spares, but now thinking of using the spares and saving the originals since we have a vintage race in 2 weeks.

I got ORB 3D printed parts for the use of locking hex nuts in the bulkheads and before the 2018 SA was released any D parts you could find were 30 years old and brittle.  I would happily use D parts from the 2018 SA.  It was more about parts availability and doing away with the press nuts at the time !