DaveB

What's the main difference in the TRF buggy range?

I'm just wondering what the fundamental differences are in the TRF 501X, 511X and 503X buggies. I'm aware the 502X is the shaft drive but I can't see any fundamental layout differences in the belt drive versions aside from the 503 having the latest big bore dampers etc.

Can anyone with expertise in this area please give a breakdown of the defences between these buggies, ideally with plus points and minus points between each one?

thanks

Would be interested to know too, I have bought a used 511 but wonder if it is a 511 and not something else...and what to look out for as they all look similar except for 502 which is shaft driven.

This is one of the things I was interested in as I raced a DB01R for many many years and won alot :D:P

I found the need to move to a TRF502x with upgrade pack to keep with the newer more modern chassis from other manufactures.

The TRF501x was good but it is agreed in the racing community that the DB01R is better.

The TRF511 is in another league completely, mainly due to ballance within the chassis lay out.

The TRF502x is super responsive and much quicker than my DB01R.

The TRF503 is ok but spares is the main concern, I stiil would choose the 511.

TRF cars are worth the money and are actually quite cheap from racers who look after thier cars.

Any one who wants silly money just because thier TRF is still in box is having a giraffe :lol:

Thanks Lee, useful info - can you tell me the main differences between the 501, the 511 and the 503 then?

thanks

The main difference with the 501 and 511 were

The plastic arms were more flexible (You could exchange them with the 501 arms and vice versa)

The 511 bulkheads are in two so you can get to the diffs easier

The 511 had the battery holes moved to put the batteries nearer the rear

The main motor mount was lighter.

once we started using lipos there was no difference as the 501x and 511 drivers could fit the lipo's in the same places, the geometry was exactly the same (The diffs etc are all interchangable so you have the same running gear etc) the only disadvantage with the 501 is that it is harder to get to the diffs. But now we have gear diffs so that's not an issue. I sold my 511 as I was offered a good price for it.

Both are very well built buggies

The 503 is more advanced, but still shares a lot of interchangeable parts, but I haven't owned one of those so cant say much about them on track.

• Like 1

As Craig has said there are few differences between the 501 and 511. But saying that they are an improvement.

The motor is more forward on the 511 with the upgrade pack fitted and is more nimble.

the 501 is basically a tank and very robust, the 511 is a little more refined and quicker on track.

Personally I wouldn't touch the 503 until the upgrade pack is available :o

The 502 was my choice as I wanted shaft drive, with the upgrade pack fitted and the alloy camber steering is much quicker on track than my DB01R ever was.

Plus I do not like alloy gearbox housings/parts, I much prefer the carbon reinforced plastic gearboxes of the 502.

The rule of thumb is that a belt drive car is more forgiving to driver input error and shaft drive is an aggressive car.

And a belt drive car is better in the wet and a shaft drive car is better in the dry.

All depends on your driving style, the tracks you race on and if you prefer belt of shaft. Your personal choice. :D

• Like 1

What don't you like about the 503 Lee, I thought it was supposed to be a high-end DB01 platform effectively?

The alloy chassis on the 503 basically, yes its a beautifully crafted piece of engineering but alloy being alloy means it bends. The Carbon Fibre top decks are too thin and not substantial enough to prevent it.

I do not like alloy gearboxes/parts plus gear diff's as I have previously stated in many a DB01R (RR) thread I do not think they are any good.

(my personal opinion) - you need to see both being raced not just tootled about in the park !

The 503 is not a high end DB01R in any respects, the 503 is an improvement on the 511. Well say some anyway, I still think that the 511 with upgrade pack is better.

The best comparison to a DB01R is the Yokomo B-Max. (chassis wise, not drive train)

Dumb question here. What is an upgrade pack? Is that the equivalent of an AE B4 to an AE B4.1? Can you give me a TRF example? I am thinking the TRF201 has had a couple of releases if that is the same thing. If that is the case, the upgrade packs don't seem very widely advertised.

Tamiya made the upgrade packs for both the 502 and 511. The packs include items to improve the handling of the car learned from Lee Martin racing the cars.

502 upgrade pack

http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/84310-trf502x-upgrade-p-6707.html

511 upgrade pack

http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/84315-trf511-upgrade-p-6892.html

these packs are hard to find as Tamiya have typically under estimated the consumer demand.

The TRF201 is different in that the long wheel base and mid motor were conversions and not upgrade packs.

If anyone is looking for it, Tower Hobbies has the TRF502x upgrade pack for $60 this week. It's in their inventory reduction / clearance bin.

I was kind of geeked/intrigued to understand the TRF buggy range better myself, so I did a little digging and came up with the following. I'm not claiming this to be comprehensive, just an overview. Earlier prototype models are not discussed, I'm probably missing a few features here and there, and onroad is another topic for another day... :)

For the 2WD TRF201 family, the progression looks like:

42167 TRF201 Chassis Kit --> 42203 TRF201+Upgrade Set --> 42253 TRF201 XR Lower Deck Set --> 42167XR TRF201XR Chassis Kit --> 42257 TRF201 XM Conversion Set --> 42277 TRF201XM Chassis Kit

42167 is the original baseline kit. Outside of the USA it was sold without a body or wheels; inside the USA the body and wheels were bundled with the kit.

42203 is basically 42167 plus updates to fix the weak spots of the original buggy. These weak spots included the front arms, gearbox gear set, and motor mount plate. They also included a carbon battery plate. If you're shopping for a TRF201, it's sometimes cheaper to just buy 42167 and get the updated parts separately.

42253 is a conversion set that replaced the original tub chassis with an aluminum chassis and plastic side guards with +11mm longer wheelbase. This provides more stable handling.

42167XR is basically 42167+42253 (or is it 42203+42253?) plus big bore dampers and full set of springs for tuning. This updates the buggy with +11mm wheelbase and big bores to maintain competitiveness with buggies like the Associated B4.2 Factory Team (+8mm chassis, big bores).

42257 is a conversion set that enables mid-motor layout for the buggy; it requires 42253 or 42167XR to use it. There's a new gear case, extra gears, new motor mount, new damper stay, new body...

42277 is basically 42167XR+42257, but the literature suggests updates and tweaks beyond 42257. It sounds like they optimized gearbox placement a little more, and the feature list also indicates the kit includes both a ball diff and now a gear diff too.

So, there continues to be active development on the 2WD range. Note that the DN01 chassis is derived from the TRF201.

For the belt-drive 4WD TRF5xx family, the progression looks like:

49401 TRF510X --> 42105 TRF501X World Edition --> 42139 TRF511 Chassis Kit --> 84315 TRF511 Chassis Upgrade Set --> 42275 TRF503 Chassis Kit

49401 is the original baseline kit. The drivetrain is similar to the TA05 with 16T center pulleys and 36T diff pulleys. Features include saddle pack chassis, aeration dampers, belt rollers, ball differentials...

42105 is an updated TRF501X run at the IFMAR world championship. Bulkheads, upper deck, damper stays, front/rear uprights, dampers are updated. The drivetrain also gets updated from TA05 to TA05V2 with 18T center pulleys and 37T diff pulleys. The manual for 42105 reads like an update pack for 49401 with only key new steps documented. This TRF501X Worlds basically spawns the DB01 family for club racers and enthusiasts.

42139 continues with more updates. The 18T/37T pulleys are retained, but all the bulkheads including front/rear diffs are easier access for maintenance compared to previous versions. There are design updates to the suspension arms and battery position.

84315 is an update to the TRF511 that includes new lower deck, new rear aluminum suspension mounts, new center bulkhead bridge, 39T gear diffs, new belts, and TRF502x battery mounts.

42275 is another evolution in this family. The wheelbase is 7.5 mm longer, the motor position has been shifted 10.5 mm forwards and 5 mm closer to center line, there's a new single-piece aluminum center pulley for higher power motors, the front caster is much larger - 14 degrees, the front dampers are mounted 2 mm higher, the CVDs now have retaining clips. The drive belts are new and no longer symmetrical. The chassis is aluminum with plastic side guards, and the battery mounting is optimized for LiPo saddle packs -- no more NiMH cutouts.

I love the fact Tamiya keeps evolving this product line, and that several of the newer TRF features are still making their way to the DB01 family of buggies. There are new damper stays (84403 and 84404) coming for the DB01 that mount the dampers 3mm higher, and the 18T aluminum pulley from the TRF503 will work in the DB01.

For the shaft-drive TRF502x family, the progression looks like:

42183 TRF502x Chassis Kit --> 84310 TRF502x Chassis Upgrade Set

42813 is the baseline original kit. It has TRF511 suspension, aeration dampers (not big bores), front/rear balls diffs, center slipper/spur, longitudinal motor mount, carbon fiber chassis decks with LiPo saddle pack mounting.

84310 provides new upper decks, new rear damper stay, new rear suspension mounts, lighter weight center prop shafts.

I want to say the DB02 is to the TRF502x as the DB01 is to the TRF501x Worlds, but that's not really the case. The DB02 has the TRF502 diffs, but the motor orientation and the center gearbox are completely different from the TRF502x.

If you're into the 1/8 scale TRF stuff, the progression looks like:

49497 TRF801XT --> 49497A TRF801XT Performance Package (truggy)

84067 TRF801X (buggy)

49497 was the original baseline kit for the 1/8 scale nitro truggy.

49497A fixed the main issue of the original, the weak front suspension arms. New arms molded in softer material fixed the durability problem, but were 3mm longer than original. The longer arms also required longer CVDs, and there was an upgrade to the upper damper mounts. All of the "performance pacakge" upgrades could be purchased separately to update an original 49497.

84067 was the original baseline kit for the 1/8 scale nitro buggy.

It looks like this product line is disappearing as Tamiya USA has been selling the truggy kits for $99 (now discontinued) and the buggy kits for $129 (out of stock recently, but now more kits available). A few of us on TC have bought 801XT or 801X and done e-conversions on them. They're really quite fun and an amazing bargain.

I'd love to see more TRF502x development, and I'd love to see Tamiya come back to 1/8 scale again with proper e-buggy and e-truggy kits as that seems to be the trend these days.

• Like 4

Great research speedy, any chance you could edit your post with the relevant release dates for each kit?

Interesting where are you seeing the 801 buggy for 129$ any links?

Here you go. Tamiya USA.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/1-8-r-c-nitro-engine-kits-27000/rc-gp-1-8-racing-buggy-trf801x-84067

Great research speedy, any chance you could edit your post with the relevant release dates for each kit?

I'll see what I can do. For now you can reference TRF's web site; their kit page has dates (years) for various kit releases.

http://www.teamtrf.com/index.php/2013-11-21-16-45-16/2012-12-12-20-10-36

I'm sure with a little digging on Tamiya Japan's main site we could find the announcement dates for most of the upgrade packs and conversions, too. The new releases go all the way back to 2002.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/news/news1502/news0.htm

• Like 1

I'm sorry for reviving a dead thread. <_<

Why would someone pay $1,053 for a TRF201XM (sans wheels, tires and body) when a Team Durrango DEX210V2 is a bit under $300 and a Lossi 22.2 is $350? It looks like Tamiya is playing catch-up to TD and Lossi with this car. I love Tamiya as much as the next guy but 4X ore more the cost of the competion is hard for me to justify.

03.26.2015-15.47.png

03.26.2015-15.50.png

03.26.2015-15.52.png

You don't have to pay over $1000 for the 201 XMW. It can be found online and in various retailers for much less.

In short, it's a personal choice, but I wouldn't let cost be the significant factor at this level of buggy. It's about what performs the best and what you feel happiest driving. So if that happens to be the tamiya or losi etc, then go for it.

• Like 1

Tamiya RRPs are always pie in sky stuff.

Expect to pay 50-70% less in shops.

I have the impression the high RRP is meant to support hobby shop sales.

I have the impression the high RRP is meant to support hobby shop sales.

That is correct. The street price or shop price is usually 1/2 the factory price.
Some new comers to the hobby think buying directly from Tamiya is better than through a shop, ebay, individual etc. No one in the right mind, including Tamiya, will turn down silly money.