Avante2001R

Anyone else had their packages held in Coventry?

My two kits which I ordered from Japan have been sitting in Parcelforce office in Coventry for the past 4 days with no updates, spoken to Parcelforce and they cannot do anything as its with customs. Do they have a massive backlog? Anyone else having similar delays?

I think that means you will get stung for import duties and a handling charge.

Guestimate 20% of the total (not sure if shipping is included?) + a £13 handling fee.

Just out of curiosity, what's exactly that handling fee you're speaking of in the UK?

In Germany, it goes like this:

Value under 22 EUR: No importation VAT applied

Value between 22 EUR and 150 EUR: Customs apply 19% importation VAT

Value exceeds 150 EUR: 19 % importation VAT + additional customs duties depending on what kind of goods are imported.

That's the rule, I'm fine with it and I keep that in mind whenever I import something that is coming from outside of the European Union.

There are no handling fees whether you pay the import duty at the local customs office, at the post office or to the postman. If the value is under 22 EUR, there is no importation VAT at all, but this sometimes doesn't save you from having to declare your goods at the customs office.

But:

Then there are some companies like the German GDSK ("Gesellschaft der Schellkuriere") that try to scam people. They work as partners for the Chinese EMS (not to be confused with Japan's EMS) by getting hold of parcels at Frankfurt airport. Then they sent out invoices with hefty amounts of additional handling fees for a "customs declaration service" as they say. What they don't say is that you can go through the customs declaration process by your own, there are tutorials on the web how to get in direct contact with the Frankfurt airport's customs office and declare your goods through a web form.

Until then, I would totally avoid importing anything from China via their EMS to Germany, as I don't want my parcels getting stuck in Frankfurt and be scammed by GDSK.

Once German GDSK have your parcel I am guessing it is held ransom until you pay their fee?

Once German GDSK have your parcel I am guessing it is held ransom until you pay their fee?

Exactly. They send you an invoice with 3 options:

( A ) Pay the importation VAT (if any), customs duties (if any) + the GDSK handling fees to them (25 EUR for the time being). They even try to claim their handling fees if no VAT/duty is applied in case of low parcel value.

( B ) Get yourself to Frankfurt airport customs for declaration.

( C ) Return the parcel to the sender.

What they intentionally leave out is option number 4: Neglecting the GDSK fees and declaring your parcel by Frankfurt airport customs web service. The latter is kind of complicated since you have to go through some forms, but can be done.

Declaring your stuff through the personnel at your local customs office is much easier though, as they do all the paperwork and you just have to show them the seller's bill and open the parcel for contents check. This is not possible once China EMS + German GDSK handles your parcel, so I prefer any other parcel service.

Looks like it. didn't have an Issue when I bought a 2013 Egress from An ebay seller in Korea, arrived with in a week. No fees to pay. This order was via Jasons RC.

Just out of curiosity, what's exactly that handling fee you're speaking of in the UK?

Back in the good old days, parcels would be held by customs and the notice sent directly to the recipient. The recipient then needed to pay the customs charge online or over the telephone. (I don't recall if the item would be held, destroyed, auctioned or returned if duty was not paid).

However many UK parcel companies (Parcel Force in particular, I think also FedEx) will now pay the customs duty of any held parcels on behalf of the recipient. They will then mail the recipient and add a "handling fee" for the wonderful service they have provided without prompt. Their argument is that their service is much quicker than customs, which I know from experience can be quite slow.

My argument is that for lower-priced items, the £13 fee is prohibitively high. And also that we didn't ask for this service so it's not fair to be charged for it. (Like going outside to find your car has been cleaned and there's an invoice for the service stating you have to pay it or they'll take your car away).

I don't know if parcel companies provide an opt-out for this service in their contracts or if these are mandatory clauses - the contract is usually with the sender and not the recipient but the buyer's contract with the seller is usually that the buyer pays all import duties and fees; so it's always the buyer/recipient who finds his item costs him a bit more than expected.

In my experience, more and more parcels are being held for customs inspections so more and more people are being stung by ParcelForce's handling fees. Given how many low-value items us Europeans now import from the East, they must be making a killing on that service.

Just my 2 cents.

definitely a backlog - number if things turning up late for me (were sitting in customs for just over a week, and no fee so far.

fingers crossed for you mate hopefully no charges :)

It's from Jason RC so who knows read mixed reviews about him here so....

Status says awaiting customs charging :(

You will find most of your queries about UK customs in this thread. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69106&hl= In short though, it is perfectly normal for your parcel to be held up for anything up to around 10 days....sometimes longer.... before they get round to inspecting it.

That's one badword of a thread mate keen to go past page 3 but will read more when I get home.

Its taken 11 days from Coventry to here, 1 days of that was transferring from the parcelfarce international hub to the national hub......same place different shelf.

While it is not a nice thing to pay you have to remember that part of the reason these foreign companies can be so cheap is that they are not paying our level of taxes. I have been hit once or twice over the years but find the more tracked and insured a package is the more likely it is to be hit. Always order with a 25% extra cost in mind and you do not get hurt to much if you get stung or order the slightly more expensive option from Germany and avoid tax.

The fee's are fine. It makes total sense that it's the same handling fee as you pay for the administration costs so parcel size is irrelevant.

As people mention here, just add 20% to your parcel when ordering from out of the EU and if you think that cost is fine, then go ahead. If you look at a lot of prices especially with the 10% discount you can get at Fusion etc you can see the prices are pretty similar without the hassle of customs. Also check other EU places as there are some great Tamiya retailers that ship to the UK with no import duty.

I object to the fees once you pay for postage there should be no fees this side. Vat and Duty it is what it is.

For 20/30 pounds saving it is true better to buy from Europe but when it is something that is rare and no longer available that is why I made the purchase in Japan.

For parts I use Tamico and Seidel which have excellent prices and customer service is top quality with very helpful staff. Fusion seem to get good reviews but their customer service is somewhat lacking from my personal experience. Having sent them an email as well as a phone call still never got a reply back with the discount code and a price of a kit as they would have had to order it in.

• Like 1

I object to the fees once you pay for postage there should be no fees this side. Vat and Duty it is what it is.

For 20/30 pounds saving it is true better to buy from Europe but when it is something that is rare and no longer available that is why I made the purchase in Japan.

For parts I use Tamico and Seidel which have excellent prices and customer service is top quality with very helpful staff. Fusion seem to get good reviews but their customer service is somewhat lacking from my personal experience. Having sent them an email as well as a phone call still never got a reply back with the discount code and a price of a kit as they would have had to order it in.

No, the issue is that the VAT was not declared. So the cost rises as there are people who have to take these parcels out of the main postage pipeline and store them, catalogue them and issue the letter saying that you need to pay the tax that you did not declare.

You pay for those people and their services with the handling charge, they have to eat too

• Like 1

I have had quite a few parts for my 1:1 project come over from the states and never had any faultless deliveries via parcelfarce,always something.Maybe alot of backlog still from Christmas?

This link I find handy to give an idea when bidding on evilbay :-

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

What bugs me is the time it takes for the customs fee slip to arrive by post I paid 61 dollars postage the package arrived in the UK lightning fast on 6th June.

Customs will wait a few days and then send the slip out by the slowest and cheapest postage possible so probably receive the slip by the 12th June.

In this day and age you would think they would send me an email demanding payment for 70 pounds (or whatever it will be) I can then pay fee and arrange postage date and receive my package a week earlier.

For 61 dollars postage the custom fee slip should arrive next day for the customer. Just annoying.