kasparov

What's a Mk1 Vintage 58047 Hotshot NIB worth?

You got a bargain there TamTom :) I think you should build if though, its only right ;)

Oh yes Dave, indeed! But I won't build this one. I have another NIB Hotshot kit on they way to me :D (yes I am crazy). So maybe I am going to build the other one.... lets see...

Seriously?! Why, do you need multiple nib of the same model? *confused :mellow::P

Seriously?! Why, do you need multiple nib of the same model? *confused :mellow::P

Why would I need 5 Mk1 Hotshot's...? Easy answer. I am a Hotshot enthusiast and cannot have enough of that model. It is such an iconic model I am simply nuts about Hotshot.

• Like 1

Where do I start, with my chiming in??? WOW, neat post again, but we all know a simple answer to what anything can be worth..... WHAT PEOPLE WILL PAY FOR IT. :P I mean, I don't want to sound rude or such, but if any of us watch those Antique rating shows, there are some hidious looking things that are "worth" 100000 of dollars and were obtained for pennies, but I wouldn't be one of those folks stepping up to bid on things like that.

Now that I have said that, I could touch on another thing, why someone buying a Mk1 wouldn't Tell someone what they were selling. As honest as all Boy Scouts can be, it simply boils down to a question of "Why shoot myself in the foot???" ;) I honestly have to admit to bagging a Mk1 and not knowing it until it was closely examined AND I did notice that it wasn't a COMPLETE Mk1 as with any of the used cars you find out there, parts are replaced when they break or become useless. I guess my Mk1 is actually a cobbled together correct version, complete with an assembly manual, vs a real "kit" that was assembled and run. I didn't ever get the luxury of buying my first HotShot NEW, it came to me second hand. If you are bored enough to read about it, here is that post:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=20526&sid=2640

Years later, I have to say I am still enamored with the HotShot, but apparantly not as much as a number of you guys here have chimed in. It is a nice little group, tight group too, I must say. I hope to unveil a new puzzle piece for me soon, but time and troubles with some family health(including my own) have slowed down some of my progress, but I am trying to play catch me up on that soon.

Now, Wandy, do tell me what is different about the ROOF as you state in your early post here??? I am a bit confused, but I will hear you out. I don't want to sound snobby or as a know it all, cause I DON'T know it all, but I would like to take a tiny bit of credit here and there for interjecting my finds in the build manual and on my own cars and parts that I found what was a MK1 vs MK2 bit.

If any of us EVER get to sit down with some of the folks from development of that and many other Tamiya cars, it would be VERY COOL to listen to their memories.

I too have to say that ABOVE the Mk1 in the BESTEST, COOLEST, and RAREIST HotShot is that prototype and I was pretty bummed I was unable to make it mine, but in the same thought, very happy a fellow TC folk has bought it and truly appreciates it for what it is. It would be like the prototype AC that Shelby was "tinkering around with" that isn't what his production car looked like, it would be the Genesis of the idea, of the car, of the obsession if you will. No matter what you do to TRY to reproduce the car, you can't make the car again, there would only be a few if that many of the mules and then there is the fact that there are PHOTOS of this car and I am fully in agreeance with the folks that point out where it LOOKS like someone made parts for it after the fact, but I dare say, the only bits that are "wrong" on that are the SuperShot heatsink mounts, that would be about it. No need to argue that point any more, but it would be stellar if that original body had survived, even in ratty shambles, as it has the number "1" on its side pods, not even in the correct font type either. That right there, would be my Holy Grail right there, the prototype.

I am so ready to see more of what Tam Tom does in his "boring" down time as he had to buy a lathe because he had an IDEA!!!!! WOW, I can't wait to see the rest of that build. :rolleyes:

What else can I say?? It is great likeing this car, some great folks also like it, but I think we might all agree together, that we may search and search for all the answers and the differences in these Mk1 cars, but we won't know ALL the facts behind the amount made, when they were sold and subsequently pulled for a refresh and more importantly, HOW MANY were made before they were recalled??? But it is fun to try to assemble all the data to compile it and I really LOVE that data sheet even though I can't read a word on it. B)

• Like 1

As the title states would anyone know the approximate value of this kit if in excellent condition? Just wanted to know in case I come across one one day, and I definitely want to purchase one so it's a matter of finding willing seller.

Any ideas?

Max

With any collectable item it is always what people are willing to pay, it may sell for alot if very rich people are bidding or very low if the poor folk are bidding

Now, Wandy, do tell me what is different about the ROOF as you state in your early post here??? I am a bit confused, but I will hear you out. I don't want to sound snobby or as a know it all, cause I DON'T know it all, but I would like to take a tiny bit of credit here and there for interjecting my finds in the build manual and on my own cars and parts that I found what was a MK1 vs MK2 bit.

I too have to say that ABOVE the Mk1 in the BESTEST, COOLEST, and RAREIST HotShot is that prototype and I was pretty bummed I was unable to make it mine....

Chris, the Mk1's roof is ever so slightly thicker and has a glossy finish, as opposed to the flat, bare metal finish of the later examples. Have a look at gordb's prototype to see what I mean.

Oh boy, I didn't know that, but you are referring me over to gordb's PROTOTYPE, where else might we might see this glossy roof??

Oh boy, I didn't know that, but you are referring me over to gordb's PROTOTYPE, where else might we might see this glossy roof??

You will find it in all of the early kits that were manufactured and sold in that first month of production.

This is a very interesting and great read.

I just picked up an MK1 (I think) off feeBay. The front bumper has the telltale holes in it but the front skid mount if not correct (appears as if someone had fabricated a replacement).

You can see the ended listing by searching eBay with this auction number 321699790984 and clicking "view original listing." It also came with a very early and rare Futaba FP-T 2E controller.

I cracked open the case and the receiver is correct (as is the crystal) for the FP-T 2E controller. It also has the MSC present. Not sure why the seller decided to throw in the ESC.

Can any of the pro's here tell me what they think of this Hotshot?

Side note:

Does anyone here have a spare correct front bumper mount for this MK1? I think the mount has the 3 holes in it where as the newer ones do not?

Good chance this has had a fairly decent front end shunt. The aftermarket shock and mountings are a bit tatty. It also has non standard drive shafts. Lots of cracks in the suspension front and rear too. You're up for atleast one full set of upper and lower wishbones front and rear.

The 3 hold pillow ball mounts are early. As are the heat sinks (pinch type)

Good chance this has had a fairly decent front end shunt. The aftermarket shock and mountings are a bit tatty. It also has non standard drive shafts. Lots of cracks in the suspension front and rear too. You're up for atleast one full set of upper and lower wishbones front and rear.

The 3 hold pillow ball mounts are early. As are the heat sinks (pinch type)

Thank you

I ordered the front and rear suspension components already. Didn't know about the driveshafts, thanks!

Nice buy, I had watched that auction, just for the fact it has VINTAGE upgrades, so DON'T dispose of those too quickly. I realize you ordered replacements, but the truth is, you DIDN'T order period replacements likely. The lower suspension arms are to have 4 triangular holes to be correct for the era and likely you got some re re style which came out as far back as the HotShot II(2). I can agree that the front bumper mount hex piece has to be the right one as it has a screw coming at it from both ends. What you do have there appears to be an old JG brand mini bumper from BITD, also looks like JG brand front shock mount or perhaps Parma or perhaps CRP, they were all somewhat similar. I am not too sure where the red shock came from, but it looks cool. The front dogbones could be from Thorp believe it or not, I didn't see if they might be any rust on them as they were single piece steel, unpainted, I have some of them myself. The lack of a rear gearbox protector piece as well as the "floating" heatsinks are more clues this is a MK1. I think the seller was just getting all that off their hands as the ESC in the auction is period correct with the exception that someone has hacked the input plug for the RX on it and looks like they wired it for an old JR Propo??? Radioset, but it is period to the car as far as ESCs go.

Great looking buy, shame about the missing pieces, but you never know when you might find anything, so keep on the search and perhaps some folks here will have what you might need. Drop me a line, I think I can help on some bits here and there.

ad

• Like 1

Nice buy, I had watched that auction, just for the fact it has VINTAGE upgrades, so DON'T dispose of those too quickly. I realize you ordered replacements, but the truth is, you DIDN'T order period replacements likely. The lower suspension arms are to have 4 triangular holes to be correct for the era and likely you got some re re style which came out as far back as the HotShot II(2). I can agree that the front bumper mount hex piece has to be the right one as it has a screw coming at it from both ends. What you do have there appears to be an old JG brand mini bumper from BITD, also looks like JG brand front shock mount or perhaps Parma or perhaps CRP, they were all somewhat similar. I am not too sure where the red shock came from, but it looks cool. The front dogbones could be from Thorp believe it or not, I didn't see if they might be any rust on them as they were single piece steel, unpainted, I have some of them myself. The lack of a rear gearbox protector piece as well as the "floating" heatsinks are more clues this is a MK1. I think the seller was just getting all that off their hands as the ESC in the auction is period correct with the exception that someone has hacked the input plug for the RX on it and looks like they wired it for an old JR Propo??? Radioset, but it is period to the car as far as ESCs go.

Great looking buy, shame about the missing pieces, but you never know when you might find anything, so keep on the search and perhaps some folks here will have what you might need. Drop me a line, I think I can help on some bits here and there.

ad

Thanks so much Crash!

Yes, I wont be disposing of the aftermarket parts any time soon.

To be truthful, I have been looking for that vintage Futaba stick radio that came with the car and when I saw it hidden in the pictures, I had to have it. I was pleasantly surprised when I cracked the Hotshots case open and found the period correct receiver with matching crystal installed. I was also lucky to find the battery holder still inside the radio with no corrosion :)

Off the top of my head to make this a period correct MK1, I will need:

-front axles

-both front (lower) suspension arms

-both rear (lower) suspension arms

-stock front shock and metal e-clip mounts

-Plastic KC lights that mount to the body

Am I correct to assume that the front axle shafts, front shock and KC lights are the same for all years Hotshot?

Can anyone help me with these? Also if you spot anything else that doesn't look correct, please let me know :)

KC lights and driver tree are same as far as I know for all the years of the HotShot inclusive of the RE RE, but if you are after ONLY Vintage parts, then you could try cheating a little bit and buying one listed as for a Frog as my sources say the Z parts are the same for the Frog, Grasshopper, Hornet, HotShot,and lastly Falcon. The front shock is the same from ONLY the original 80s release, the re re may have used the same plastic parts, but they didn't use the same metal parts, I know I have a few shocks here that are vintage. Now, onto the front axles, that topic has been in the "review" of what makes a Mk1 a Mk1,so read up again, but know this, they are still out there for sale, but MRC in their infinate wisdom as the US distributor of Tamiya and its parts, well they screwed us all up and put ONE axle from front and ONE from rear in their parts bags for spares. It sucks as they are not that cheap anymore, but I only ever remember losing the front axles, not the rears, so you might just want to buy them as you would then replace ALL four with the same patina after that. There is a SINGLE groove on the Mk1 front axles vs the later production of 2 grooves.

I forgot to note to you that you have a late model Speedworks 427 motor in there, the early model had less of the bubble graphics pure 80's look to it. Simple Blue and silver tag with a more boring looking specs style graphic were the early model motor. I had one in my HotShot BITD, you can still find those on eBay too.

• Like 2

Thanks again for the education!

This is my first MK1 Hotshot so I'm learning as I go.

Other than the front shock, do you have any of the other bits I listed? Feel free to PM me a price with shipping to Southern CA if you wouldn't mind parting ways with some of your spares :)

Sorry, been too busy catching up at work to get more information to you. Found the OLDER model of Speedworks 427 motor on the bay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRINITY-SPEEDWORKS-427-RC-MOTOR-/221741813198?

I am into my spares here and will get back with you on what I find, feel free to mail me over at my gmail account

cubooth@gmail.com

It works a bit better than the PM mail here IMHO, but it could be a lot of operator error on my part.

Sorry, been too busy catching up at work to get more information to you. Found the OLDER model of Speedworks 427 motor on the bay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRINITY-SPEEDWORKS-427-RC-MOTOR-/221741813198?

I am into my spares here and will get back with you on what I find, feel free to mail me over at my gmail account

cubooth@gmail.com

It works a bit better than the PM mail here IMHO, but it could be a lot of operator error on my part.

Is this a brushed motor your recommend??:))

To be honest, I wasn't really making much of a recomendation as I was making a correction of age if someone was going to instal a non Tamiya motor in their HotShot. It is my recollection that the Speedworks 427 was for 4WD recomendations back in the 80's, but they made motors into the early 90's and that was the late model motor he has shown us. I guess it is always up to the particular restorer to install all the bits they like, weather they are OEM or aftermarket or a mixture of both.

On another note, I haven't even owned one brushless motor to date yet, so I wouldn't know the first thing about them....yet.

What is a never used MK1 bumper going for?

Found one in some parts, never mounted, does have light storage scuffs

What is a never used MK1 bumper going for?Found one in some parts, never mounted, does have light storage scuffs

Got a photo?

I do, but have had limited success with posting pics on here.

Send an email and I can send you a pic.

scootmike@aol.com