Monster_Beetle_Jack

Monster Beetle rebuilt

Hello All

After nearly 20 years in various loft and boxes IO have decided it was time to rebuild my Monster Beetle.

I am aware spares are very difficult to get so I was wondering if it was a good idea to buy a new release Frog or Brat kit, uses what I can from them to bring back my Beetle from its slumber.

Are those 2 kits compatible?

Is there an alternative route to achieve my goal?

Cheers

Jack

Hi Jack,

some parts are different from a Monster Beetle and a Frog or a Brat.

You could use the chassis and the gearbox from the newer kits, but those radius arms are shorter on the Frog and Brat.

Those rear Arms should also fit, but I guess the only places are auction sites.

You should dismnantle your ride and take a look what should be fixed, and let us know there is always a solution.

Marcel

I'm rebuilding two currently, one as a mint shelfer, one as a runner.

For the shelfer, I started off with a reasonable example and spent a lot of money on ebay. Gearbox can easily be refurbed with new gears, and Frog plates if you need them. Most of the suspension/drive parts come up frequently for not too much money. Certain things are a pain in the ******* (vintage glass, new wheels, front spot light bar and stickers were the worst) but they do come up.

For the runner, I've parked my OCD and recognised it's going to be bashed. I'm using a Brat chassis and the Frog skid plate along with some CRP suspension parts to make it stronger. I've also swapped out the shocks for new pieces and bought an alloy body strut cross member. Body will be one I already have, and I'm not gonna go box art. Should end up costing relatively little compared to the shelfer.

As has been said though, take it all apart completely, give it a good clean and see where the problems are. You might just need a fresh grease and some new shock oil!

@ zomboided

Maybe you can help me, I got those CRP springs #1653 for my Blackfoot and I didn't mount them because I can't remember which one were the rear ones.

The only difference is the collor 2 silver springs and 2 "yellowish" ones, all the same length.

Thanks.

Marcel

I'm using the CRP rear mount and part of a brace, not the springs. However I think silver are front, yellowish colour one is rear.

The original springs are soft at the front, stiff at the rear. I'm guessing you can double check the ones you have to ensure the silver ones are soft and the yellowish ones are stiff

Tamiya usually recommend molybdenum grease for metal to metal gear gears, and ceramic grease for everything where plastic gears are thrown into the mix. Both need just a thin film on the gears.