Mr Big

Tamiya Screwdrivers?

Think it's worth me investing in some, but not sure what to go for.

What's best? The individual #1 and #2 drivers or one of the sets 74085 / 74023? (Not that I can work out the difference between those!)

Anyone got any recommendations please?

I'll be watching this thread. I've seen the individual ones like you said and the sets so I'm wondering which to go for too. I think the regular philips don't fit the tamiya screws perfectly so when you come across a stubborn screw it can chew up the head. This just happened to me on a build I've just completed. It's a really good investment buying a decent screwdriver as I found out the hard way.

I'd recommend a set. I've had mine for a few years and they are great quality. Fit pretty much every screw and hex on all my cars. Worth the investment.

I have the individual black handled type and they are great. Had mine for like 20+ years and only just replaced it now as it was getting a little worn. Quality is superb, for a fiver you can't go wrong. Here's my replacement type, this does virtually all the screws, the smaller size is for things like servo screws and the like, I have other screwdrivers for those. I do have a flat head Tamiya one too which is rarely used. This large type 2 is the must one to have. I don't know about these new kits, seen them, they look nice but I'm used to the feel in the hand of the traditional type. Seems more timeless than faffing about swapping handles.

med_gallery_28308_3720_247071.jpg

Cheers

Nito

• Like 2

I have the set of 8 with the magnetic handle, which I really like. I recently bought a tamiya black handle large cross head because that's the one you use the most and I found I was swapping handles too often.

I do kinda prefer the large cross head in the magnetic set, seems to fit in the screw heads better in an indescribable way....

Tamiya RC toolset 74085 has been mentioned a few times yet in other threads and is what I'm using both at home as well as bringing it to the places where I run my cars.

Despite the slightly misleading description on Tamiya USA, both crosshead screw drivers are proper JIS drivers, not philips.

What does 'JIS' mean ?

I always thought Tamiya screws were Posidrive rather than Phillips and although I normally use the Tamiya No 1 & 2 screwdrivers from my toolkit, I have used Posidrive screwdrivers without any problem.

I think people frequently confuse Phillips & Posidrive screwdrivers and just call them generic 'cross point'

Although they may look similar, using the wrong type on the wrong screw will commonly result in a lot of tears...

I believe JIS is Japan Industry Standard, which is again similar to both Phillips and Pozidrive but with that all important slight difference in profile.

Looks like #2 driver is a good buy regardless. Is it worth having either of the sets in addition?

I have recently misplaced my #2 driver so I'm considering either a replacement or the set... Would be interested in hearing from the owners of the set first though.

From the toolset I mentioned, I mainly use the larger JIS driver for most M3 machine and 3mm tapping screws. The smaller one comes into play when dealing with M2 and 2mm screws. What I miss from this set would be a turnbuckle spanner. No big deal though, as I always have one spare spanner left over from turnbuckle kits around that I store in the box.

I've got a full set of TRF drivers. Includes Hex, Philips and Blade screw drivers plus nut drivers. Also have a Trf turnbuckle tool and a ball cup wrench. The last one is brilliant.

They are good - but I'm thinking of selling them for a full hudy tool kit.

Plus 1 to GregM's suggestion, i have been using the same Tamiya set i think its an older version (red handles instead of blue). I now use it almost exclusively on Tamiya and rc cars. Works very well. To start with i was not to sure about the longevity and quality as it looked a bit toyish to me. But they are fantastic and worth every cent. On top of that they have the holder and at the end of each job its very easy to make sure you've not lost or misplaced any. Also they pack up very tightly and fit easily in trackside tool boxes or your pocket. The larger handle fits over the other handles and gives extra power with the larger grip. Even the tiny hex driver hasn't broken or rounded off after 6 years use so far.

Tamiya RC toolset 74085 has been mentioned a few times yet in other threads and is what I'm using both at home as well as bringing it to the places where I run my cars.

Despite the slightly misleading description on Tamiya USA, both crosshead screw drivers are proper JIS drivers, not philips.

Great set, I bought it 2 years ago and it did my life better :)

Here's my build set!

85BDB590-21CB-4B7E-BB46-975612087F4E_zps

Going to offload the TRF stuff I think. Easy $200+ of drivers and stuff on the right hand side.

The one that will be going no where is in the middle - the ball cup tool. Saves fingers.

• Like 1

Here's my build set!

85BDB590-21CB-4B7E-BB46-975612087F4E_zps

Going to offload the TRF stuff I think. Easy $200+ of drivers and stuff on the right hand side.

The one that will be going no where is in the middle - the ball cup tool. Saves fingers.

Now that's just showing off! :lol: There's soo much stuff I need to buy.

If you've found a possible OEM source, please let us know. :)

I have the hobby set, the TRF tools (The older ones) and a full hudy set, including the imperial and metric drivers.. I use the TRF tools to build my cars, just feel better, no idea why, but the Hudy tools at the track as they have a tool bag that matches the drivers... yes I am that sad :)

Is there a part number for that Tamiya ball cup wrench?

Yes.

:D

53858 for the onroad 5mm type

42186 for the off-road 5mm/6mm type

I have the hobby set, the TRF tools (The older ones) and a full hudy set, including the imperial and metric drivers.. I use the TRF tools to build my cars, just feel better, no idea why, but the Hudy tools at the track as they have a tool bag that matches the drivers... yes I am that sad :)

I'm tempted to do something similar. Keep the TRF stuff on the bench at home and the new hudy stuff in the hauler bag in the garage.

Would be much more convenient. I need tools to suit my 1/5scale stuff too - so big hex drivers and also torx wrenches. I priced up a new tool set that would suit and it was crazy coin. Need to save.