Gazzoomers

Drive issue on old Mud Blaster

Hi all

I am looking to sort a drive issue out i^m having with my old (20 years +) Mud Blaster.

I have tried new drive shafts but it seems that the issue is coming from the differential gear box.
I am aware that this particular model did suffer with drive issues and one option I would be keen on if possible would be to change the drive to direct thus also eliminating any future re-occurence of the problem.
Would anybody on here have an idea whether this is actually possible to acheive and if so what parts/part numbers would i need to acheive this?

I would be extremely grateful for any help as would love to get it back up and running again for my son to enjoy the use of

Thanks in advance

The old ORV gearcase and drive system at rather flakey to say the least, more so after 20 years, especially when asked to drive the larger tyres of the monster beetle and mud blaster

You could search for Frog / Monster Beetle / Blackfoot drive issues on the forum but a few common things to check..

1. condition of the hexagonal female recess in the gearcase outputs and wheel axles

2. corresponding condition of the male hex parts of the drive shafts

3. are the metal plates at the sides of the gearcase flat, or distorted outwards ? - there may be a 'how to' article on the main TC page for this ?

4. the white nylon bushes that locate into the side plates (parts B2 in the build manual) - are these located correctly with the notch engaged , or slipping under drive ?

• Like 1

Hi

Percymon, visually the gearbox, bushings and side plates look in good condition. I have tried complete new interlinked drive shafts from gearbox to wheels with no improvement so i'm guessing the issue is within the gearbox or potentially still a combination of the two.

Rich1978, there is definately a few things to look at on that link and I will concentrate on working my through it to see if this sorts it all out. I've come across a few suggestions for modifications along the way but that list looks very useful.

I had to buy a new battery for it after all these years of no use so am determined to get it running again properly.

Thank you both for your feedback, it's much appreciated

No worries. I'm trying to get my brothers monster beetle of hon for the Sam reason so will be trying a few of those mods out hopefully.

ALways loved the Mud Blaster... My friend had a monster beetle when I was a kid back in the 80's and I always wanted a Mud Blaster to go with it but I ended up with Bigwig instead...

• Like 1

Back in the 80's I tried my hand at racing a frog,but got sick of stripping the female splines off the bevel gears in the diff and/or the male splines on the drive shafts.If I remember right,they have to be bought separately (of course!)

Dont know if there are any RE models that share the same set up that may have resolved the issue.

• Like 1