Terz1

Mudblaster 2 build with a twist at the end

I've never broken a hex yet on any of our fleet (watch one break in the very near future lol), probably overtightened I'd suggest.

I ended up going for a Bruiser, which is an amazing build experience. However prior to that I was considering the high lift and might even still do one further down the line, Junfac to a great conversion for them which would be a must have mod for me;

http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=259

Like you I enjoy building/tinkering probably more than the driving, which is becoming a problem now as I'm building up a collection that is rapidly taking this interest from a 'hobby' to something far more sinister lol ;)

I am not an addict, gnnnnn resistance is futile...ok, so I am on my way to the dark side, consume me it will hmm!

• Like 1

Lol. Yep you've said it now. Your hex nuts will be breaking all the time now. I think you're right though if I had to put money on why it broke it'd go on my ham fistedness. :lol:

I love the bruiser and that junfac conversion looks amazing. Like you said a must have mod. Resistance is futile! At this very moment I'm trying not buy the f350. :lol:

At this very moment I'm trying not buy the f350. :lol:

It would make me feel a lot better about myself if you did!

It's a steep slope when you step over the edge, I've had 4 historical kits for years (10-15 years!), increased the collection by 4 kits in the last 4 years and suddenly I've bought (or received) 7 kits in the last 4 months, it's scary! (Of course, some of those are limited editions so I HAD too!).

Still, should keep me out of trouble for a while now while I build them. The Bruiser is still in build after a good 6-7 weeks.

Cheers

Nito

• Like 1

That's the way I think too, there's always something you can add or modify to a scaler. I like the idea of it taking years and years to finish, if I ever do. I've not looked into it in great detail yet but seen some fantastic projects. I like the ford f150 xlt and the ford f350 high lift looks stunning! I also like the axial sxc10 even though it's not a tamiya.

This would be the ultimate one...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-ford-f350-high-lift/rc-car-products/25682

I think taking years to build something is over-rated. I spent the best part of 2 years building a steel hulled tank, blew the gearboxes on the first run, and it's just sat for 2 years now as I can't find the enthusiasm and the justification for the cash required to finish it. For me, I lose interest in something if I can't finish it in 2 years. I like the feeling you get when you can look at something and think, 'Yep, that's done, now I can concentrate on the next model'. Just my 2 pence worth ;)

• Like 1

I think taking years to build something is over-rated. I spent the best part of 2 years building a steel hulled tank, blew the gearboxes on the first run, and it's just sat for 2 years now as I can't find the enthusiasm and the justification for the cash required to finish it. For me, I lose interest in something if I can't finish it in 2 years. I like the feeling you get when you can look at something and think, 'Yep, that's done, now I can concentrate on the next model'. Just my 2 pence worth ;)

Taking years to get a model to the point that you can run it is possibly overrated, however that is the beauty of a scaler. You can get the mechanical side finished, or at least running, relatively quickly, and then spend years tweaking its performance and appearance, adding accessories, making trail damage look like rust, etc, enjoying the car as a runner and a build at the same time.

My Pajero was a runner from day 1. I still wouldn't call it finished though! :)

• Like 2

Terz1 Ur build thread has me convinced to get a wt-01 for my son for his birthday... Think im going for a bf3 as he's keen for there to be driver lol

Funnily enough I have some alloy hex's and some cvd's kicking about so will add them but will wait until he has mastered the crawler motor and stock suspension before upgrading further!

Not looking fwd to painting that driver tho!

• Like 2

I wondered what had happened to your metal Tiger Madinventor :)

It's sat on top of a cupboard at the moment. When I get to getting the grapple skidder operational I'm thinnking about finishing the Tiger just so I can finally call it done. However it is going to need £50 of motors plus another £60 worth of steel gears...................

Ouch! :)

Terz1 I love how you've mounted the Beetle shell. I've got a BF3 on order with Fusion but I also have a Sand Scorcher body set doing nothing. I think you've convinced me to save it for the BF3 chassis as an alternative body. I found the rounded Beetle shell shrugs off damage and rollovers a lot better than the squarer BF body. So I might save it for the crazy bashing days :) Think I'll also get some of those GPM shock towers as the handling looks so much smoother.

So much for my "no new projects until the old ones are done" resolution 😚

• Like 1

Terz1 Ur build thread has me convinced to get a wt-01 for my son for his birthday... Think im going for a bf3 as he's keen for there to be driver lol

Funnily enough I have some alloy hex's and some cvd's kicking about so will add them but will wait until he has mastered the crawler motor and stock suspension before upgrading further!

Not looking fwd to painting that driver tho!

Great choice! The BF3 is the best looking of the bunch, that's why I got a mudblaster 2 as I was always going to build a monster beetle and I wouldn't have had the heart not to use that great shell. Plus with it being hard I might have cracked it. As mine is pure basher.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding the driver. It'll be my first one :unsure::lol: . I found a great guide so when I find it I'll put it on here. It shows how to paint a driver step by step.

crispy, on 10 Feb 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Terz1 I love how you've mounted the Beetle shell. I've got a BF3 on order with Fusion but I also have a d Scorcher body set doing nothing. I think you've convinced me to save it for the BF3 chassis as an alternative body. I found the rounded Beetle shell shrugs off damage and rollovers a lot better than the squarer BF body. So I might save it for the crazy bashing days :) Think I'll also get some of those GPM shock towers as the handling looks so much smoother.

So much for my "no new projects until the old ones are done" resolution

I think the wt01 chassis really suits the beetle shell with its huge open arches. Think you're right about the shell too with it being dome shaped if you did flip it it would just roll right over. That's why I got it and in lexan so it would take a good bashing. And I always wanted a monster beetle. :wub:
GPM shock towers are amazing. They give you access to much larger shocks which helped the handling no end plus I think they give it that monster truck look. The originals are just basically springs and are quite short and bouncy. The 100mm oil filled shocks I've got on mine transform the handling.
Oh and the BF3 shell and the sandscorcher shell are my 2 favs so it's going to look fantastic whichever you choose. :)

Yes but Terz1 this is going to be a basher for my 5 year old! How long do u reckon the abs paint job would last.. Lol

I'm really hovering between a bf3 and a lexan shell one. He did like the devil on the bush devil ii...

How are u planning on mounting the driver in the shell or on the chassis?

Your wish is my command Nito! :D

These came the other day :) . I've been after some gold wheels to give it that vintage monster beetle look. A member had bought these wild willy 2 wheels in gold and thanks to nito for checking the offset ;) and them being okay I bought some straight away.

As most of you will know these are 2" wheels as opposed to the 2.2" on the wt01 so my plan is to have my silver chrome wt01 wheels with monster spikes as the general all terrain basher set up. The WW2 ones will be fitted with some more tarmac orientated rubber. I'll adjust the suspension to a tarmac type set up too, lower, firmer. The WW2 wheels are wider too so should give some good grip on the tarmac. This will also save the spikes on the other tyres which wear out in no time.

Here are the wild willy 2 gold plated wheels. I had to order 2 sets as only the rear had the hex fitment.

20150209_194156-1_zps3deb5ff2.jpg

Here they are fitted minus tyres

20150209_200304_zpsf2c9a125.jpg

I couldn't wait to get the gold wheels fitted so before they arrived I cut some plastic discs and mounted them on the wheels to get an idea. A monster beetle has to have gold wheels. Lol

Here was my temporary solution. :rolleyes: Could have been better could have been worse....

20150204_163827_zps90a9d95e.jpg

I've seen some road type tyres on ebay which look pretty good but if anyone has any suggestions for 2" road style WW2 tyres other than the standard type that would be great. :)

These are the ones I'm looking at at the moment.

_5747_zps4d60c15f.jpg

• Like 2

Yes but Terz1 this is going to be a basher for my 5 year old! How long do u reckon the abs paint job would last.. Lol

I'm really hovering between a bf3 and a lexan shell one. He did like the devil on the bush devil ii...

How are u planning on mounting the driver in the shell or on the chassis?

The lexan one will definately take the most punishment and come out better in a big collision. Not that the hard bodies aren't tough, just not as impact resistant and they have more additions such as chrome bumpers, grilles, roll bars etc which will break that bit easier. Plus the bushdevil 2 and mudblaster 2 will always be cheaper due to the lexan shells they have. The BF3 hard shell is easily the nicest but may be not for a 5 year old.

As for mounting a driver I'm going to make a template of the interior dimensions (at the lower window level) then cut some plastic out of some packaging I've got. Then I'll screw the driver onto this. I'll make some plastic flaps up to attach it to the sides and the bonnet and will be using removable velcro pads so I can remove easily if needed. I'll be doing this soon so I can tell you how good or bad a method it is. You'll have the pick of the tamiya drivers too. Another idea I had was to attach a hornet driver via the roof with a screw. This is how he's mounted in the hornet with a screw through the roof into his head. Sounds painful! Lol

Check out Tamico. I bought this mudblaster 2 for less than £90 delivered from Germany to the UK, think they have the bushdevil 2 and bigfoot 3. Put the site on google translate and it's okay to navigate. My German isn't great. I really rate Tamico, good company.

I would go for some 54603s, as they fit the WW gold wheels, yet have spikes that tie in visually with the original MB tyres.

• Like 1

You're right about them looking like the originals B) . I might have to get some as well as some tarmac ones.

header_54603_zps00406f7d.jpg

The longer body mounts all these chassis use also help reduce the damage as they flex and absorb some of the impact.

I'll be ditching the BF3 driver and most likely putting a Willy head and shoulders figure in there. He'll be getting the moving head treatment too 😜

• Like 1

It's going to look pretty authentic when you're done.

Are those gold discs in the chrome rims, they look really effective because the chrome reflects the disc colour. You might set off a new trend lol!

Looking good!

• Like 1

Mr crsipy that moving drivers head in yours is fantastic! Love it! :D

It's going to look pretty authentic when you're done.

Are those gold discs in the chrome rims, they look really effective because the chrome reflects the disc colour. You might set off a new trend lol!

Looking good!

Yes they're gold coffee mate lids lol. I cut them to size and drilled a hole in them and the used a hot hair dryer to warm the plastic to mold tyem to the spokes of the wheel. When I tightened them up the fake bolts in the wheel pushed into the plastic making a nice effect too. I thought that before I did it, whatever colour is at the back would reflect throughout the rest of the chrome wheel, and it worked out pretty well. Cheaper than gold chroming too.

Here's a few pics...

uncut lids

20150204_153332_zpsb9783686.jpg

Trimmed to size

20150204_155603_zpsfd720e44.jpg

Rich I think the vintage decals would look great on the Mudblaster 2 shell. Would you do a vintage replica with the vintage paint scheme too? B):)

• Like 1

Do you know what diameter they are, you could just use a hole cutter, which would give you you're centred hole also!! :)

Good job. When I saw them I thought, ooh, could paint mine blue to match the shell!

Cheers

Nito

• Like 1

20150204_163827_zps90a9d95e.jpg

Mr crsipy that moving drivers head in yours is fantastic! Love it! :D

Yes they're gold coffee mate lids lol. I cut them to size and drilled a hole in them and the used a hot hair dryer to warm the plastic to mold tyem to the spokes of the wheel. When I tightened them up the fake bolts in the wheel pushed into the plastic making a nice effect too. I thought that before I did it, whatever colour is at the back would reflect throughout the rest of the chrome wheel, and it worked out pretty well. Cheaper than gold chroming too.

The photo with them fitted looks like you have had some one-off machined at great expense ;)

• Like 1

The photo with them fitted looks like you have had some one-off machined at great expense ;)

Thanks woodstock. They're not too bad for coffee lids are they (had to buy 4 tubs). I'm going to have to drink a lot of coffee now though. I'll be able to work all day and won't be able to sleep at night I'll be so loaded with caffeine! I'll be able to build tamiya until the crack of dawn. :lol:

@Terz1 yes just ordered the decals...next stop Tamico.De!!!!

Excellent rich! :)

When you get it you'll have to put some pics up.