Are there any alternatives available? as the motors spin differently to each other.

If memory serves (as I was well into Clods about 10 years ago and I still have mine stripped in a box) it's the dual motor ESC that does the job and the way it's hooked up

• Like 1

Now your asking :lol:

I haven't been near a Clod in ten years or so and all the info I used to know off by heart has gradually leaked out of my ear. Not to mention the fact that the stuff I had for my Clods is probably way out of date. For example I still have a Novak Super Rooster NIB waiting along with two Trinity Magnetic Mahems along with the necessary diodes.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your Clod, general bashing, mild crawling or something a bit quicker. If it's some general harmless bashing something quite torquey fairly high turn.

If using brushed motors, they need to be set at 0 timing. Some motors have adjustable timing and in that case you would need to have the timing set equally opposite so if one motor fires at 10 degrees before, then the other motor should be set at 10 degrees after TDC.

The sport tuned has fixed advanced timing so not a good choice as you can't reverse direction as the timing will be out.

Brushless you can set timing on program card or PC so no problem there.

Guess budget is a big factor too. How much do you want this to cost you? Big motors need better ESC's etc

• Like 1

I've recently purchased a pair of Traxxas Titan 550 motors. They're 21T, can handle 14.4v if you have a speedo that will pump it, really cheap (just over £20 each from Modelsport), but best of all, they come in both forward and reverse rotation formats:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-titan-550/rc-car-products/15278

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-titan-550-reverse-rotation/rc-car-products/32002

Previously I was running HPI 550 motors in my Clod but I had to dismantle the front can and re-time it for reverse operation. The result was a delicate motor that fell apart after a few knocks. I got fed up with fixing / replacing motors, as well as suspension parts that always broke due to carrying the weight of 12 NiMH cells, so I consigned it to the parts bin years ago and it's stayed there ever since.

When I saw the Titan motors I knew I had to give them a try - my Clod will be getting a new lease of life this year if these motors work out. Naturally, for their full potential they need the full 12 cells (or 4s LiPo) and all the costs that come with it (especially if you need lipo cut-off functionality) but I'm pretty sure these motors will still work well enough on 6 cells (or 2s LiPo) with a cheaper no-limits speedo connected. At 21 turns they should be faster than stock even on 7.2v.

I'm still not sure if I'll use my old HPI GT speedo (14.4v compatible without LiPo cutoff), or my ancient limitless speedo (7.2v, no LiPo cutoff) with an aftermarket LiPo cutoff, or if I'll splash out on a hefty LiPo-safe speedo. I don't really know what options there are for LiPo-save 4s+ ESCs that will handle two motors.

• Like 1

Pretty much all rebuildable motors can be zero-timed or reverse-timed quite easily, thus making them suitable for a dual-motor MOA installation. That said, unless significantly modded, a Clod is not a good candidate for speed work. It is more at home climbing, pulling, crushing and generally rumbling around at slower speeds. I would therefore go for a pair of 20-something turn motors that are optimised for torque rather than speed.

As for the ESC, you don't need a twin motor ESC. A normal single motor ESC can drive the two motors in parallel. You can work out how many turns it needs to be rated for by dividing the motor turn count by two. Thus for example, to drive two 20t motors in parallel without frying itself, the ESC needs to be rated for 10 turns or less.

• Like 1

I installed two GT tuned motors with the Super Clod stock Tamiya ESC (BK103). One needed to be wired in reverse. Seems to work ok...?

I've got a pair of Torque Tuned in mine running off a TEU-106 twin motor ESC and it's perfect for the speeds I want it to go. Bear in mind I'm still using the stock chassis and the only suspension upgrades have been 8x T-Maxx shocks. The shocks don't really do anything though, they just look pretty.

If you can afford it you could always stick a pair of brushless systems in there, then you wouldn't have to worry about timing as the ESCs handle all that, not the motors.

I saw a brushless clod on youtube, it looked uncontrollable, just blipping the throttle and it was pulling wheelys, I would like it to be similar speed to a tamiya 959 or something like that.

I thought the Titan 550 motors would hit the suspension on a stock clod, due to the longer can length?

I just set my Clod up with twin TowerPro 11.5 motors, £17 each from Giant Shark. http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/170119/towerpro-brushless-motor-bl540st-115t

I run them on two TBLE-02S ESCs which are also cheap, in fact I had some lying around that came with some other Tamiya kits. They can be bought new for £17 too, making the total system cost £68. This is a pretty nice combo for the Clod, great torque, superb brakes, good top speed but not mental and smashing up the chassis either. With sensored brushless systems like this it's important that the internal mechanical motor timing is set to zero or at least can be. That can't be compensated for in the ESC.

10929940_10155059976365167_7230105798028

providing they go the same speed in both directions. How quick is it?

It's not fast compared to a buggy but there's enough power to do wheelies with a full charge and stoppies under breaking. If you're driving on bitumen you have to take it a bit easy actually !

I thought the Titan 550 motors would hit the suspension on a stock clod, due to the longer can length?

Good point - I wasn't aware of that, my clod has never been stock, the axles are under a TXT chassis.

It's also never been a reliable runner - using stock TXT links and 14.4v it was short enough to wheelie off the throttle; with massively extended links and the weight of 12 NiMH cells (as well as a hefty TXT chassis) it snaps plastic rod ends on every run. This thread is interesting for me, hopefully it'll inspire me to rebuild my clod in usable trim and actually enjoy owning it rather than it being a very large and expensive albatross :)

I am using HPI Firebolts 15T and Tamiya Sport Tuned 23T. No problems.

Sport tuned motors are compatible to 106BK ESC.

Firebolts running good on Traxxas EVX-2.

e059c961.jpg

Mine on a Clodzilla 2 chassis with metal links.

I run the Titan 21t motors on mine on an old MTronics Super E-truck ESC which can run up to 14.4v (I use a 4s Lipo with an alarm on it)

Plenty of power and speed (think stock lunchbox), they are cheap and in my eyes, perfect for what I want out of it.

I had a pair of Trinity Matched Madness motors in my first clod, had to put rubber bands on the rims so the tires didnt slip as much. they have been out of production for a while but maybe worth looking for a used set online.

So, it seems that Sport Tuned are a good choice, but a pair of stock Torque Tuned motors work fine?

A Clod can be built to go as fast as you can afford to make it go. I've heard from guys that have 4100kv brushless systems and Lipos hitting 40+ mph. And those are relatively mild nowadays

Hello i was using the Searchengine and fount tis Topic.

I have the standard Tamiya TEU-106 twin motor ESC  and a Hobbywing Quickrun 860 ESC Dual Motor Brushed Waterproof ESC.

I want to Use a single 7.2v Batterypack.

And i use the stock Silvercans.....

So what is my issue?

I want to use one of the ESCs (i like the Tymiya one) with 2 hotter Motors for more Tourque and Speed (through Torque).

I really like the Tamiya Sporttuned Motors, but they are timed.....

I also have 2 Super Stock BZ Motors, but they are to hot for the ESC.

So what Mortor are there available for using them with one of these ESCs?

Since i Using the Stock Suspension with Oilshocks, 550 Motors are not an Option.

Thanks!

I was afraid of getting that Answer ^^.

The Quickrun ESC is able to handle Lipos, so that would be a Option. Yes...   A good Option, Yes....       ...ok, the best Option.

But if i really honest, i don`t want do go the Lipo way. Becaus if i switch to LiPo,

I would change it in all my Cars and the Chargers are a little bit to expensive for a Hobby in a young Familylife.

I think 500 Bucks are easily a Start for the charger and a few Batterys and if i really would choose the LiPo Way, i would have to change all my other ESCs also...

So Thanks for the suggestion, but im looking for "better" Motors, if the Sporttuned Motors would exist in the opposite Timing, that would be the best Solution for me, i think.

15 minutes ago, whahooo said:

Thanks!

I was afraid of getting that Answer ^^.

The Quickrun ESC is able to handle Lipos, so that would be a Option. Yes...   A good Option, Yes....       ...ok, the best Option.

But if i really honest, i don`t want do go the Lipo way. Becaus if i switch to LiPo,

I would change it in all my Cars and the Chargers are a little bit to expensive for a Hobby in a young Familylife.

I think 500 Bucks are easily a Start for the charger and a few Batterys and if i really would choose the LiPo Way, i would have to change all my other ESCs also...

So Thanks for the suggestion, but im looking for "better" Motors, if the Sporttuned Motors would exist in the opposite Timing, that would be the best Solution for me, i think.

I thought that until I started using LiPo. If you have a relatively modern charger, they should already be LiPo capable, if not they're a very good buy at around £50 for charging all different chemistry batteries. A 2S LiPo can be had for less than £20 from hobbyking, and if you use Lipos with a similar capacity to the old NimH cells, they're quite a bit cheaper. If you're still putting money into old chemistry batteries it's really throwing money away in the long run, as LiPos give so much better performance and are light into the bargain. I don't have many LiPo packs, but all my Nimh now just sits in the garage and never get used, I just use low voltage alarms for the cars I don't have LiPo friendly ESCs in.

If you really don't want to go lipo,  the 860 is capable of using 4S, so you could use 2 7.2V stick packs on silver cans, so assuming you have 2 stick packs that would cost a grand total of 0 to double the power output. If you really want to go down the hotter motor route, Kyosho used to do a Magnetic Mayhem motor with forward and reverse rotation for the clod buster, or you could just try and find 2 old school modified motors with adjustable timing so you can manually reverse the timing yourself, but this is probably going to be a more expensive option than a multi chemistry charger and a couple of LiPo packs