Wandy

Willy's Wheeler Re-Release #58611

Been thinking:

If it overreacts to steering input, and the wheels rub near the steering endpoints, could the solution be as simple as reducing the steering throw? If not electronically, then mechanically by means of a shorter arm on the servo?

I know the geometry is off, and it will likely never be a track winner, but this might help make the drive amusing rather than annoying?

Watching with interest as to the process to sort this.

I just ordered a second one from Banzai last night .. so now two Willys are winging there way to me as I post this.

Watching with interest as to the process to sort this.

I just ordered a second one from Banzai last night .. so now two Willys are winging there way to me as I post this.

Just paid the customs and charges on mine. This is going to be one expensive kit by the time it gets here.

Mine will arrive well after these issues get sorted :P

Nonetheless, I will have at it providing no fix is in sight by the time it does appear!

I never drove a Wheeler, but I imagine it is a little terrifying; even an Audi Quattro with a longer wheelbase still triggers my goalkeeping reflexes way more than a regular RC car should...

I have seen people putting smaller tires on WR-02 chassis, namely Willy's Wheeler conversions, but I wonder if those were ever driven in anger, or if Tamiya's designers saw different wheel options being used by customers when they first hashed out the WR-02.

... Well, looks like my original plan of beating up TRF-417s on the track are done :P But it looks like it runs well! I had to smile when I saw it tip over slowly onto its side - thanks for sharing the video!

• Like 1

That car belongs to a friend of mine - he made the black/yellow decals himself.

He brought the car round to show me this afternoon (I'm soooooooo jealous because mine hasn't arrived yet!).

We sat it next to my old WR-02 Wheeler conversion (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64985 ) and noticed a few differences. The body on his is mounted higher than on mine, and the Wheeler wheels and tyres are noticeably smaller than the RC Boys wheels/tyres on mine. The front wheels on mine can turn lock to lock without hitting the wheel arches, but I had to trim the arches to achieve that. On his car, the front tyres were touching the leading edge of the wheel arch at larger steering angles, but not massively. It looks like some minor trimming or sanding should be enough to give some clearance without having to resort to major mods.

• Like 1

I think replacement bodies are going to sell well, like the LB these are going to spend a long time on their roofs

• Like 1

Dunno, this original seems to go like a dream

It's very likely that weight has been added to the front of this one, probably also some additional weight low in the chassis to lower CoG. A WR-02 based Wheeler surely works better than the original right out of the boxes.

I,m a happy camper as I went to my lbs yesterday and picked mine up just need to wait for the tamiya paint to come in as they are in the process of changeing from custom colours. They TS should be in early next week. I am liking the box art design also

It's very likely that weight has been added to the front of this one, probably also some additional weight low in the chassis to lower CoG. A WR-02 based Wheeler surely works better than the original right out of the boxes.

Well the RCs aint worse than the real thing.

https://youtu.be/In18ziPaFrE?t=40s

• Like 2

I like the wing mirrors on the white number 76 car I'm sure I've got some of them around somewhere

and them huge jps signs around the track am great

I swear it was raining Wheelers yesterday with all those deliveries coming through! It was excellent...

• Like 1

Just received my lights :-)

4a28f60612ffdcd150e16ccd8c393210.jpg

Will find some time to paint the driver and decals :-)

Doh, I wanted to do a police car one. Love the lights

Guess I better go back to the drawing board :-)

• Like 1

Man, you guys are killing me... I'm up to my ears in RC projects, so I had just about decided to let this one slide. These should be available for quite some time, right? Cheap, popular, based on an existing platform? I should have some time...

Just received my lights :-)4a28f60612ffdcd150e16ccd8c393210.jpg

Will find some time to paint the driver and decals :-)

I really like this, it just looks great.

I'm not sure that at 45 years old and 6'2" I would admit that any where else...but I feel I'm amongst friends here ; )

I really like this, it just looks great.

I'm not sure that at 45 years old and 6'2" I would admit that any where else...but I feel I'm amongst friends here ; )

:-) i am so glad!

here's a video

• Like 2

I'm occupying my time with my cousins TA06 build, until my bearings arrive from fast Freddie, then I'm going full bore on this wheeler, my buddy that bought the WW2 from me can't wait to see the results, all I could say is buddy you're preachin' to the choir.