SHY69

Tamiya B.A.R. Honda Hotshot Evo IV

OK, this was much harder to do than I expected...

IMG_7402.jpg
I found it was better to use a good old wise, as the 3mm pin replacement tool don't fit these smaller drive axles perfectly.

I heat them up in order to expand the steel and get the pin out more easily.

IMG_7401.jpg
Then knock the pin out with a hammer and a tool. At the end I twist the pin out with a pair of pliers.

I then drill open the hole a bit with a 2mm drill.

Apply two layers of shrinkwrap. Punch holes on both sides.

Cut a 2mm pin to 11mm length, round the edges. Then use this stuff to make sure the pin is secured:
IMG_7397.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg
Two done, two to go...

IMG_7399.jpg
Time will tell if this holds up... :rolleyes:

OK, sorry for no update in a long time. I've been busy racing 1:8 Track and flying 3D helicopters :rolleyes:

IMG_8561.jpg
I need to get busy...

Now it's time for the Nordic Vintage Challenge #4 in less than two weeks, so time to get the car ready. I don't think I'll have time to do all the mods I wanted, but here's what's done so far (in norwegian, sorry): http://rsb.se/arena/showthread.php?90521-SHYs-Re-re-B-A-R-Honda-Hotshot-gt-NVC-warrior

IMG_8591.jpg?t=1444724929
Custom motor mount, for fine adjusting the mesh

IMG_8593.jpg
Almost race ready again...

• Like 2

Allright, Evo IV is ready to race in one week! B)

IMG_8611.jpg
Fit for fight! Can you notice something different? :rolleyes:

IMG_8605.jpg
Carbot sheet vinyl on the rear tower. XX4 wing mounts.

IMG_8591.jpg
Schumacher 32P 12T pinion and home made alu motor plate, for fine adjusting gear mesh. I first made a plate that filled out the whole gearbox, but it didn't clear the diff gear (didn't do my homework there) - so I had to reduce it to 1/2 the size.

IMG_8594.jpg
Let's hope this holds up...

Vintage Thorp ball differential. Modern DT02 universals.

IMG_8608.jpg
Not enough time to finish this final touch... so that'll be for Evo V :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Wow, again an amazing piece of work to behold. Many good wishes on racing this beast and I hope the dogbones do hold up.

Thx a lot Crash! :D

Btw don't you guys think this tread would be more suitable in "The Builds" section?

• Like 1

Thx a lot Crash! :D

Btw don't you guys think this tread would be more suitable in "The Builds" section?

Yeah, this should have been in the "the builds" section....

Love the idea with the Bigwig scoop :)

Yeah, this should have been in the "the builds" section....

Love the idea with the Bigwig scoop :)

Thx bjorklo! Yes I think it can further add to my F1 theme, will do this later :D

IIRC it was posted in The Builds, but was moved here by an admin. I've asked if it can be moved back. No biggie though.

So lets finally hope for victory now this weekend in The Nordic Vintage Challenge #4 - it's been the by far fastest car in 4WD Classic - but I've yet to capitalize on the win, due to the 19T motors simply burning up. I've freed up the gear train now and gear down >> fingers crossed! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Moved to the Build tread, thx Andy!

I'll try to get some better shots in daylight...

PICT7471.jpg
Looks more sleek with the wing further back - and I think it'll look a lot more "right" in motion now! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Truely, truely epic. The modifications and enhancements you've made make this one beast of a car. Best of luck in the Nordic challenge!

• Like 1

Thx a lot! It's for sure a concept you can improve a lot - it seems to like never end this "Evolution" :rolleyes:

In comparison there was not much to be done to turn the Top Force into a great handling racer...

IMG_8617.jpg

I have another car ready, the Dyna Storm Evo II... now here we went balls to the balls in order to make it competitive... I'll make a tread on it later. But here's a little teaser:

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg

• Like 2

Oh that Dyno Storm is the Dyno Mutt's _()*& WOW that is sexy and it looks as if Lewis H. will be stepping right out of it when you cross the finish line in first place. I really have to get off my duff and get those few parts you don't have on the HS for your evaluation and use. I am sorry I wasn't in time for the competition on those parts. Been far too busy with many irons in the fire.

Thx a lot! It's for sure a concept you can improve a lot - it seems to like never end this "Evolution" :rolleyes:

In comparison there was not much to be done to turn the Top Force into a great handling racer...

IMG_8617.jpg

I have another car ready, the Dyna Storm Evo II... now here we went balls to the balls in order to make it competitive... I'll make a tread on it later. But here's a little teaser:

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg

Oh.My.Goodness. 3 of my all time favourite Tamiyas given the turbo treatment. Absolutely stunning. Very much looking foward to seeing what you've done with that Dyna. Drool, drool! Keep it up.

• Like 1

Well... it kinda worked out OK :rolleyes:

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

Laptimes from NVC #4 (SHY):

2WD Classic: 13.7 (RC10 Classic)
4WD Classic: 13.1 (Hotshot)
2WD: 13.5 (Dyna Storm)
4WD: 12.8 (Top Force)

So only 3 tenths slower than a Top Force with 13.5 brushless. The HS is running 19T brushed. And faster than a pretty modern 2WD with 17.5 brushless.

Happy indeed! :D

• Like 4

WOW, great results and there is another HS in the placements. Did you see if he had many modifications done to his car??? Is the 2nd place classic a Yokomo???

Thx guys!

2nd place is a Kyosho Optima (modified). 3rd place is a std Hotshot with very thick oil in the dampers.

So this is the plan for Evo V:

-Thorp diff also in the front + the universal mod (same as in the rear)

-11T pinion (motor is still too hot)

-Manta Ray torque splitter

-Boomerang rear suspension parts, to get some rear toe-in

-Custom carbon rear tower: More mounting holes, better support (mounted also to the cage)

The car is now almost good enough to use the "modern vintage" class ("4WD) - cars released in 1994 and older