TamTom

The not so usual Hotshot project

Sure I'd do if necessary. However, I already bought blank steel rods and I have already tried to cut grooves with my lathe but said, my lathe is not powerful enought to work on steel. So I thought about asking someone with a larger lathe to cut grooves as needed.

Got it, I was wondering to myself, what about a pipe cutter???? I have a mini here for the hollow hobby tubing, but don't know if it would get THROUGH the steel, but perhaps it would groove it just enough to hold the E clips on. I would suggest it might just make it through the necessary 8 pins and then probably be so dull it won't work again, but that happens to tools over use.

Pipe cutter.... good point. Will have to check this option. I don't think a hobby cutter will cot steel. They are made for cutting aluminum, plastic and maybe brass. But a good pipe cutter is still something I will have to check.

I mentioned the hobby grade for simply scoring them, perhaps the larger will NOT have an issue in cutting them to length and then you could "destroy" the hobby grade to score the lines needed. I think most pip cutter discs might be too fat for the E Clips, but I don't know all the sizes of pipe cutters you can get there.

Another thing I have noticed is, on last page of the vintage Mk1 manual you see a Hotshot running. It seems to be a production Hotshot with correct screws and screwpins except for the sway bar mount. It is made of black material but not the common black FRP.

24294577od.jpg

HOW can you see this stuff??? I do want to point out that the numbers used are 3 and NOT the 1 as seen in the other prototype photos. I wonder whatever became of that prototype HS that was put up for sale on TC here ages ago. Do you remember that Tom??? If so, spill the beans, do you have it?

I don't know. It pops up from time to time and then I have a closer look. Yes, I know about the numbering. In the 1985 Guide Book, the Hotshot heading up the dune has the number 1 and Pin Spike Tires. It is obviouse a prototype shot. And also interesting, while the pictures showing a true Mk1 running, the cut away model on the other side has the later reinforced bumper.

The prototype still belongs to a fellow TC member. Unfortunately it is not me. Otherwise this HS would already sit on such a display cabinet of mine.

PS: the wife and the kids are out of the house. So I'm alone! Wohooo!! Now working on the Display Cabinet :D

Well, we all have our talents. It is good to hear the prototype is still in the Tamiya community. My wife just woke up and is grumpy, so play time is over for now.

My wife just woke up and is grumpy, so play time is over for now.

LOL

Some progress today. I took the stands off and inserted grup screws into the poles so the gearboxes can stand on the stands but also taken off easely. Put the model back on the wooden platform and aligned it so everything sits on the right place. Then secured the stands with tape.

24301590dj.jpg

Once I took the gearboxes off, I drill 3mm holes throught the center of the stands. I cut 6 pieces m3 threaded rod in the right lenght and screwed the threaded rods into the poles and slided the stands onto the rods.

24301591ih.jpg

24301592ur.jpg

24301593lp.jpg

This way I fit the rods into the previosely drilled holes and secured them with flange nuts from the inside.

24301594db.jpg

Yes, it holds very well. The gearboxes sit very stiff when moving the suspespension.

24301595ol.jpg

Now I will have to determine correct position of the slots for the rods that will drive the suspension arms.

• Like 2

Today I have started to use my surface router for the first time. Took some wooden board and tested how to use the router and made myself familier with the handling. After some test runs, I made a slot and mounted one of the gears to see how it moves, how long the slot have to be and how long the pushrod has to be to rotate at little under full travel.

24311778mx.jpg

24311782zc.jpg

• Like 1

Well it is nothing spectacular though but, this testing is very time consuming. And I have to be very acurate because a simple mistake will destroy the whole display.

Just a little progress but a big one though. Thanks to the great help of fellow TC member "Wonder" I could realise the bright green FRP front sway bar mounts of the original Tamiya model from the promo video. He was so kind to make me a set and have sent it instantly. So a big thank you once again!

24359707jd.jpg

24359708aa.jpg

24359721wh.jpg

Every little detail counts. This is looking better every time I see it. I have a motivation to do my HS projects up and get them taken care of, then I can move onto other projects.

Is everything going as planned on this??? I hope there is some progress shots soon on this stellar project.

• Like 1

PS: the wife and the kids are out of the house. So I'm alone! Wohooo!! Now working on the Display Cabinet :D

16156_10153443360248382_7327260409100739

• Like 1

Just a little progress but a big one though. Thanks to the great help of fellow TC member "Wonder" I could realise the bright green FRP front sway bar mounts of the original Tamiya model from the promo video. He was so kind to make me a set and have sent it instantly. So a big thank you once again!

24359707jd.jpg

24359708aa.jpg

24359721wh.jpg

What are those suspension pins on the promo car?

Is everything going as planned on this??? I hope there is some progress shots soon on this stellar project.

Well, I got stuck in progress a little. I have been rebuilding the hobby room. Got new furniture and did not have time because I sold one of my real cars (the Toyota Land Cruiser) and bought me another real car (Dodge RAM). So I spent a lot of time with other things. But will going on soon.

What are those suspension pins on the promo car?

You mean the pins on the upper wishbone? They were used on the pre-production cars.

That explains a lot Tom on all the mails I have sent that might have gone unseen in the middle of what sounds like a little chaos at best. Hope to catch up soon and get some questions answered.

Chris

Brilliant work mate. This thing belongs in the Tamiya museum!

At least send this thread and a video to Tamiya America and Japan, they gotta love it ;)

That explains a lot Tom on all the mails I have sent that might have gone unseen in the middle of what sounds like a little chaos at best. Hope to catch up soon and get some questions answered.

Chris

I apologize for beeing lazy on that. Still have your parts here. Willtake pics and get through all my mails soon!

Brilliant work mate. This thing belongs in the Tamiya museum!

At least send this thread and a video to Tamiya America and Japan, they gotta love it ;)

Thank you. You really think this may interest anybody at Tamiya?