skip665

Recommend me a bench vice...

All,

I am currently struggling along using the jaws of my Workmate as a make shift vice but really should get something better in place. Looking at something like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-VC17-Multi-Angle-Vice/dp/B000LFTOHY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Not saying I am set on that one - its just an example.

So - anyone got a recommendation that's available in the UK? :)

Thanks!

Search 'Bench vice' on ebay - 1400+ to choose from.

Also keep an eye open on your local Lidl store if you have one as they often have DIY stuff at good prices and the tools are as good as you will find at any DIY store.

Personally a swivel base vice is what I would go for.

If you get a fixed base vice you can always clamp a smaller adjustable vice in the jaws to make life easier.

Have have exactly the one you linked to - good piece of kit . i find it very useful being able to work at almost any angle . i think mine actually came from Aldi but its identical .

Depends on what you want to use it for. I use my 4" jaw mill vice for holding stuff while cutting and drilling, it really depends on how 'heavy duty' you want to go and how flexible it needs to be.

If you have a pillar drill something like this will be very useful as you can easily adjust the position of the workpiece once it has been clamped =>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40228104-Heavy-Duty-Pillar-Press-Drill-Milling-4-ways-Mechanic-Cross-Vice-4/291361186279?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107092241%26meid%3De99dfa089f814cb9aea7c2f8a662e3a6%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D371021887348#ht_7014wt_1248

Aye Martin but that's a bit heavy duty for general hobby use .

If you want to go proper vice then Record ones are great. I have a 6" one in my garage. However if it's just a light hobby one I use one of these for RC stuff. Hasn't let me down yet. Its a Draper :)

boomerang_runner_103.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, the Silverline in the 1st link at 16 GBP looks fantastic. I would get one if I could. The extra knuckle seems to be useful to deal with many different tasks in the hobby. If I was you in the UK I'd get one of these smaller ones and a bigger fixed one.

41mcBpeMthL.jpg