simensays

Simensays :: Wild Willy custom parts

You have far too many!

Just wonderful. Love the different styles you have.

If I order one of your jerry can infills do you know how long it will take to get to the UK?

I had way too many, 17 or 18 at the most, but I've sold a few now.

It will probably take about 7-10 days from ordering until the part is delivered to your door.
I received two insert yesterday, and I can report that they work great, and is a time saver when filling a Jerry Can. I use a few drops of super glue, sand the edges lightly, prime & paint - and voila! If I only had these a few years back...

That's a nice collection, they look superb. Great photography too.

I had way too many, 17 or 18 at the most, but I've sold a few now.

It will probably take about 7-10 days from ordering until the part is delivered to your door.

I received two insert yesterday, and I can report that they work great, and is a time saver when filling a Jerry Can. I use a few drops of super glue, sand the edges lightly, prime & paint - and voila! If I only had these a few years back...

Thanks for that. Just ordered a couple for my WW2 body that I am backdating to M38 to use on a GF01 chassis and a M38 restoration.

One question... I am based in the UK so had to spend $10 on shipping. It seems silly because surely one of the benefits of 3d prinitng is the fact that it could and should be possible to print locally. do you know if there are any plans for local printers?

Got my Jerry Can backer. Awesomeness. Starting to paint it this week!

Just read all this thread - looks great!

Should have bought a WW instead of my Lunchbox ******!

• Like 1

Never to late get a Wild Willy, Ad Lav, and you won't be disappointed in the end - it's the coolest model Tamiya ever made in my book :D

I got the GF-01 kit a couple of days ago, and even though I love the FJ40 pick up body, I will leave that untouched for now, and build a 4x4 Wild Willy. I might need to make some custom parts for this chassis in order to fit the WW body.

Got around to restoring/upgrading a vintage 7.2V 1200mAh humpback for my runner M38.
I used a fresh 5300mah stick pack as a cell donor, and moved & soldered the new cells in the same together, but used the original cables and connector.

tamiya_humpback_1.jpg
tamiya_humpback_3.jpg

​tamiya_humpback_4.jpg

I guess I'm a stickler for details, but the vintage batteries is an essential memory of the whole Tamiya experience I had with the Wild Willy back in the day, so I wanted to make one or two for my runner :)

• Like 3

(non-WW post deleted)

Edited by simensays
not relevant for thread
  • Like 2

Long time since I posted anything, or even had time to work on any of my cars - well, Tamiya cars anyways - I did restore a 1:1 FJ40 last year.
I have designed some new parts for some of my many Wild Willy projects lately, and am currently waiting for the custom parts to arrive.
For fun I made a couple of pics of some of the parts combined. Some of the parts have been shown before, some and new.

I've sold a lot of my excess NIP parts, and found that I needed some parts here and there for some of my projects, so I designed them, and tried to add some details etc. If you have a sharp eye you can spot them in the pics.

simensays_ww_parts_1.jpg

simensays_ww_parts_2.jpg

I will update with pics when I get the parts, if anybody is interested.

• Like 5

After building quite a few Wild Willys over the years, I wanted to do a different build :) I'm almost done designing a full, scale body kit. All the bits and bolts is included (only missing couple of parts at this point, like the seat and the horisontal roll bars, and a couple of minor decals). I might need to do the whole car now, we'll see...

Here is a preview:

ww_render_01.jpg

ww_render_02.jpg

As always, loving the detail....  I'll be keeping an eye on this one. :) 

Finished up the last few parts, and played around with some different colors/textures and adding some of my custom parts... All that is lacking now for the bodykit is designing the driver, but I've never sculpted a figure, but I guess it's a fun way to get that wired.

ww_render_03.jpg

ww_render_04.jpg

It1s a great way to test out new paint schemes for future builds too :)
ww_render_05.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, Chris! Now if only I can make a

Willy figure as good as you made for your avatar :)

Made some tires for the projects:

ww_render_06.jpg
ww_render_07.jpg

More nice work.... :)

But I'm a little confused, is this just a CAD project that you're having fun building for the computer.  Or are you going to 3D print everything and have a fully 3D printed WW ?

Not quite sure what you're trying to gain from it, shapeways 3D printing isn't easy to get a smooth mirror gloss finish on. The thought of all the sanding and painting you'd needed to do to that body is terrifying. :(

Don't get me wrong I'm loving all these CAD images of the 3D models, just wondering what the end game is :)

Nah, it's just for fun, and something I wanted to make. Sort of an extension of my love for the Wild Willy really. I have several projects WWs, so no need to print the body either - besides, it would be cheaper to buy a stock body than print this. I've designed every single part of the body as per the original parts, so it is now easy to make custom parts right off the bat with this as a foundation. Also, I want to do some animation stuff, we'll see, but I actually didn't set out to go this deep into detail - there is a lot more work behind it than it looks :) 

10 hours ago, simensays said:

Nah, it's just for fun, and something I wanted to make. Sort of an extension of my love for the Wild Willy really. I have several projects WWs, so no need to print the body either - besides, it would be cheaper to buy a stock body than print this. I've designed every single part of the body as per the original parts, so it is now easy to make custom parts right off the bat with this as a foundation. Also, I want to do some animation stuff, we'll see, but I actually didn't set out to go this deep into detail - there is a lot more work behind it than it looks :) 

That's what I thought you might say, but also I was hoping you'd say there might be some animation down the line. That would be so cool. :) 

Nice work :) You should have a go at designing the handles, mirrors and spotlights on the grey Jeep you posted above. It will look great with all that extra detail on a Wild Willy I think