simensays

Simensays :: Wild Willy custom parts

Awesome work - especially love the grill and spotlight. And the corrected windscreen and the tools. And of course the hardtop. I need to start saving... :) 

I'll also second the mirrors request.

Would it be possible at some point to make a version of the windscreen to fit the WW2 as well?

Actually, the split windscreen is not correct for the Willys M38 - it was used on the earlier Willys Jeeps.
Sure, it would be a small job making a version to sfit the WW2 mounting - I can do that if you'd like.
For this hardtop I sewed a canvas rear flap, instead of the rear door, just to mix it up, Since the hard top is such a big part, the price is a bit high when printing it on Shapeways. By leaving out that part, it helps a little, and IMO it makes for a cool realistic look, or at least an interesting variation. It all looks kinda bland as it is all just in primer, planning on weathering this after paint, since the navy grey will look similar to the primer...

ww_navy_02.jpg[
ww_navy_01.jpg

• Like 3

The WW2 screen isn't urgent, just thinking of possibilities for future projects. It's a nice look, different but subtle.

The canvas flap looks really neat, very ingenious. The price of the hardtop is a bit intimidating but I still want one, it's such a cool addition. One day...!!

I totally agree about the pricing. I have to pay that myself, and don't make any money off of it - I designed it, as it represented a way better method of production over scratch building it.
Also, in relation to the thousands of bucks spent on my collection of the last 15 years, I don't mind the few bucks for my own custom parts. I design these parts for my own sake, not as a business idea. I do have a spare hardtop though, so PM if interested - won't cost you much :D

I did the WW2 windshield frame in 5 min after reading your post, a very simple conversion as I have already made an exact 3D replica of the full WW body kit, as seen in the pics in previous posts.

The canvas flap, was a fun little detail to make. It's double, inverted canvas, with a foam core, to give it some bulk and scale appearance. A good excuse to drag out the Husquarna sewing machine :D
Also worth mentioning that the hardtop is not screwed together in the pics, so that's why it looks a bit loose and ill-fitting to the body.

I love the old style Wild Willy tires, and wanted to use them on the WW2 and the GF01. So I had to design some...
The tires are reissues, which are very good, and have been covered in other threads here on TC.The rims are split rims, and uses the same hardware and works as the vintage stock wheels - only with modern hex pattern and off-set to fit the WW2 and GF01 (and models with the same off-set wheels).

This is my GF01 Wild Willy conversion I started a long time ago, with the new rims and tires mounted.

simensays_GF01_01.jpg
simensays_GF01_02.jpg
simensays_GF01_03.jpg
simensays_GF01_04.jpg

• Like 5

Those would look great with the GF01 Land Cruiser body as well I think :)

• Like 1

Yes I am also really interested in knowing if there is any more development.

BTW are those repro tires still available? 

There are really several ongoing projects in this thread, all WW related and with various custom parts and mods I do.
As usual I've been busy with others things, but I did 3D print a set of the wheels on Shapeways for my WW2 and mounted some of @RA1028 excellent repro Wild Willy tires. I want all my various WWs to resemble the proportions and look of the original gansta, and to me the tires play a huge role in this.

spacer.pngsimensays_gf01_wheels_01.jpg[/img]

As I have modded the stance of my WW2 (wider rear and front mods to accommodate heck wheels), I swapped out the wider rear with the stock parts. The wheels I've designed are the standard 12mm hex mounted set up, so I left the upgraded front assembly (uprights and front axles from a M-04) and everything fit perfectly. I've done multiple wheels set ups on my WW2 over the years, but I am so pleased that I finally have gotten around to making wheels to fit the vintage style WW tires.

simensays_gf01_wheels_02.jpg

The GF01 Wild Willy has gotten some paint, waiting for some detailing now. At first I was planning on doing a subtle olive drab weathered look, but as this will be my 4x4 Wild Willy and probably see some run time, I want it as part of my stock WW look brigade. So I will most likely do it as per original box art.

simensays_gf01_wheels_03.jpg

simensays_gf01_wheels_04.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 12:16 AM, njmlondon said:

BTW are those repro tires still available? 

I couldn't find them on eBay at the moment, so probably temporarily sold out. From experience this has been the case earlier, so as long as peopel keep buying them (as they do), they will probably make more. I picked up a few sets, but as my last spare set went on the WW2, I need to pick up some more at some point. I have lots of spare original tires in various states, but the repro tires is a better way to go for all projects other than a 100% original restoration build.

On 3/14/2020 at 4:37 PM, simensays said:

There are really several ongoing projects in this thread, all WW related and with various custom parts and mods I do.
As usual I've been busy with others things, but I did 3D print a set of the wheels on Shapeways for my WW2 and mounted some of @RA1028 excellent repro Wild Willy tires. I want all my various WWs to resemble the proportions and look of the original gansta, and to me the tires play a huge role in this.

Could not agree more. I have been in touch with HWPeter who I believe is alos RA1028 and he has sold out with no plan to re-run.

I would love them. 

The look you have for the GF01 is exactly what I want. Have you modded that battery compartment of the GF01 to get the body to sit lower?

Keep up the awesome work.

All the mods have been made to the body & driver figure.
The chassis is untouched apart from the body mount spacers that I made shown in earlier posts.

simensays_gf01_bodymod.jpg

• Like 1

Some quick shots with the roll bar (temporarily) mounted, just to check proportions... I can easily adjust the tilt angle of the body.

simensays_gr01_11.jpg

simensays_gr01_10.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, simensays said:

All the mods have been made to the body & driver figure.
The chassis is untouched apart from the body mount spacers that I made shown in earlier posts.

simensays_gf01_bodymod.jpg

Got some of your spacers on order from Shapeways.. no idea how long they will take to get here. Thanks for the photo of the body underside, very helpful. I shall be hitting mine up with the dremel.

• Like 1

After getting some questions regarding the availability of the Wild Willy Hex Wheels, I've made them available on my Shapeways page. Princing on SW has gotten ridiculous the last couple of years as I've mentioned earlier, so I do not advise or promote buying stuff from them. I do not make money of these wheels, I pay the same price when buying them for my projects - Shapeways sets the price.

Link to the wheels on Shapeways.

710x528_33292129_17585393_1606583005.jpg

My supply of wheel inserts for the original Wild Willy wheels has run out, and with the high prices for these insert on eBay - I designed my own. I haven't printed them yet (so not made available for others yet), but it can't get more basic than this...

simensays_wheel_inserts_1.jpg

I've run out of spare mechanism covers also, so I designed both the SWB and LWB version.

simensays_wild_willy_mechanismbox_cover_

simensays_wild_willy_mechanismbox_cover_

On 3/16/2021 at 1:29 PM, simensays said:

Nice. I wonder how close these are to the 58036 Audi cover?  Not that I need one but it would be nice to have options as these parts might not last forever 

On 3/16/2021 at 1:29 PM, simensays said:I might need one now since I bought a wild willys an the cover it came with has been molested

cleaned up  

On 3/16/2021 at 1:29 PM, simensays said:Can you design it to accept a regular battery and still retain the original al body pin location?  Joking. I did find a supplier out of the UK that will sell me and ship me a hump back battery 

Well, no mods to my deisgn is needed for that anyhow, as the battery is obviously outside of the mechanism box :D Good to hear you've found a source for a hump back battery for your new old Wild Willy project!

(No need to re-quote every post, Joe - all the duplicate images makes a mess :D )