simensays

Simensays :: Wild Willy custom parts

Oh how right you are. I’m so embarrassed. I need to spend some quality time with my wild willys 

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2017 at 12:23 AM, simensays said:

Nest project inspiration...

spacer.pngnavy_hardtop.jpg[/img]

As I'm a real slow mover on my multiple projects - many of them spread over years - I sometimes have the time to change the direction or theme for the respective project. For some reason I like vintage 4x4 cars in baby blue, and I love surfing - so why not make a WW based on this, rather than a obscure navy WW. 

WildWilly_Custom_BodySet_Complete_01 v28.png

WildWilly_Custom_BodySet_Complete_01 v28e.png

• Like 1

Out of necessity I've designed some reproductions of various parts for another project. Got some parts delivered today, some are new, some are parts I've simply updated somewhat...

One updated part, the V2 Jerry Can insert - same concept, just some minor added details (indented crossed section)...
Same fit, but cheaper, more detailed, so overall better - and will replace the old version I designed years ago.

sw_ww_jerry_v2_1.jpg
sw_ww_jerry_v2_2.jpg
(Please note, the insert pictured is the prototype print with the cheapest material > natural versatile plastic, which has a rough surface, other materials are available for a smoother finish)

The mechanism box cover arrived also - fits perfectly, but the the Natural Versatile Plastic material do need some sanding. I'll just leave it as is, since I do not mind the matt surface for the project in question.

sw_ww_mb_cover_1.jpg

I also made a set of servo saver parts I needed, And made an assembly of them as these small parts can be somewhat hard to find at times.

sw_ww_servosaver_1.jpg

In my venture to convert both my WW2 (WR-02) and GF-01 into a vintage WW look-a-like, I've also designed a vintage style bumper for them.

sw_gf01_bumper_1.jpg

sw_gf01_bumper_2.jpg

I'll update with better pics as my builds progress...

• Like 6

I've done some minor adjustments to my GF01 Wild Willy body spacer - shortening them by 2mm, which will  move the body a tiny bit forward (compared with the first version). This is a $6 mod to position a Wild Willy 2 body perfectly on the stock GF01 chassis. 

simensays_gf01_spaced_01.jpg

• Like 3

Although it's been a couple of years since I actually designed the wheels and finally made many of the conversions I wanted to my old Wild Willy 2 (WR02), I never got around to taking any pics. Time allowed for a quick shoot today, but I will do some propper pics when I get the bumper updated.

simensays_wild_willy_2__01.jpg

simensays_wild_willy_2__02.jpg

simensays_wild_willy_2__03.jpg

simensays_wild_willy_2__04.jpg

simensays_wild_willy_2__05.jpg

simensays_wild_willy_2__06.jpg

• Like 3

@simensays I like it a lot.  This is a WR02?  I could not see the steering servo on the left side so that is my guess.   In this case, are you using a different steering knuckle as it appears you are using the same wheel as the rear (I imagine the 12mm hex hub inner wheel)?

While I like the big monster truck wheels/tires on my WR02/GF01's I still keep coming back to my M38 with these narrower sand tires!

On 8/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, simensays said:

I've done some minor adjustments to my GF01 Wild Willy body spacer - shortening them by 2mm, which will  move the body a tiny bit forward (compared with the first version). This is a $6 mod to position a Wild Willy 2 body perfectly on the stock GF01 chassis. 

@simensays, I have learnt much from your helpful posts about the differences between the SWB and LWB models. 

However, one thing that remained the same between the two was that the front body post sat directly above the front axle - as did the niche in the front inner fender (circled in red).

If we put the debate to one side for a moment about our different preferences to modify either the chassis or the body (or both) to get the correct ride height I’m curious why you want to push the body backwards (albeit by a reduced amount with this new version).  Do you have a picture of two sat side by side with the front wheels lined up?

The GF-01 chassis has almost the same wheelbase as the LWB version and with no spacers is, according to my ruler, already too far back - which is why on my custom SWB chassis the body has been brought forwards.  I appreciate you have been working with this model about 19.75 years longer than us so am genuinely curious what reference point you are using?

Also, I would appreciate knowing the ready-to-run weight of one of your originals (with four AA batteries and the original hard plastic running battery etc). All help gratefully received.

thumbnail_IMG_7198m2.jpg

IMG_7146.JPG

15 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@simensays I like it a lot.  This is a WR02?  I could not see the steering servo on the left side so that is my guess.   In this case, are you using a different steering knuckle as it appears you are using the same wheel as the rear (I imagine the 12mm hex hub inner wheel)?

While I like the big monster truck wheels/tires on my WR02/GF01's I still keep coming back to my M38 with these narrower sand tires!

Yup, that is a WR02/Wild Willy 2 indeed. I've swapped out some of the front assembly (knuckles/axles etc) from a Tamiya M-04 kit, allowing to use 12 mm hex wheels also in the front. 

simensays_tamiya_m04_front_assembly.jpg

• Thanks 1

@simensays Thanks for the info!  

So to add my take on this body mounting location for WW2 bodies, I do not use any spacers on my GF01 (to shift the body forward/aft).. the front looks like below which is nearly identical to my SWB M38's front. 

It is my LWB M38's that place the body further forward vs the front axle to compensate for the mismatch with the M38's fender and quarter arches.  

IMG_Aug222021at111148AM.jpg.680a0923b3f2afc88d9d4843245ac682.jpg

VS LWB:

IMG_Aug222021at111203AM.jpg.8f498d5967018cc16fd0d48867c203bc.jpg

vs SWB (nearly identical to my GF01)

IMG_Aug222021at111443AM.jpg.d0e22279ca90b12efabb3d7b42e18b82.jpg

Honestly I think the placement is quite good with just the factory posts reversed on the GF01.  

IMG_Aug152021at32633PM.thumb.jpg.2e9c681d89827774800d9e11b15c33c9.jpg

12 hours ago, nicherotors said:

However, one thing that remained the same between the two (SWB/LWB) was that the front body post sat directly above the front axle - as did the niche in the front inner fender.

[...] I’m curious why you want to push the body backwards?

The GF-01 chassis has almost the same wheelbase as the LWB version and with no spacers is, according to my ruler, already too far back - which is why on my custom SWB chassis the body has been brought forwards.  I appreciate you have been working with this model about 19.75 years longer than us so am genuinely curious what reference point you are using?

Most things remained the same in the transition from the SWB to the LWB Wild Willy. This was a compromise Tamiya did to make the model a bit more functional and not flip over as much. They simply moved the rear axle backwards - which improved the handling somewhat, but ruined the stance and look of the Wild Willy. This is also why so many people think the LWB looks a bit off - me included. As a designer and an art director, I really can't stand the look of the LWB WW, the proportions are just off, as direct result of an economically founded compromise. The designers did it correct (visually) with the original design.

Because the wheelbase of the GF01 is close to that of the vintage LWB Wild Willy, the ugly stance can be improved upon by simply moving the body a few mm's backwards. It is more important to get the rear wheels better centred in the rear wheel wells to remedy this look, which represents the main visual challenge with the LWB WW. The position of the front wheel does not look all wrong even though it sits a little bit more forward in relation to the front fender. Much of this reasoning is from my experience with 1:1 off-roader, like with the wheel position (front/rear) on my FJ40 Land Cruiser pictured below. The suspension geometry work in such a way that the wheels move upward in a backward arch - hence why the wheels seem to be positioned to much forward at resting height.

simensays_lc_wheelpos.jpg

I can get the weight and comparison pictures for you, but much of my collection is boxed up in my basement, so not readily available for quick pics at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Honestly I think the placement is quite good with just the factory posts reversed on the GF01.  

IMG_Aug152021at32633PM.thumb.jpg.2e9c681d89827774800d9e11b15c33c9.jpg

The issue is not as prominent when running huge wheel/tires, but as mentioned I want to run the icon vintage sand tires unlimited - to me, a key design feature of the WW. 

@Willy iine Can you do a show&tell on your photo setup? I really like how your great Wild Willys are displayed on that grey/dark background. I am planning on building a new bigger backdrop/"studio" for photographing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@simensays Wow you own a 1:1 FJ40.. that is so cool.  I saw one in a light blue color the other weekend and I nearly drove my car off the road while neck breaking the beauty. :lol:  haha!  

It's not really a photo setup, I'm just taking pictures merely on my display table in front of a wall of cabinet doors.. :lol:

IMG_Aug222021at115539AM.jpg.fbac10eda8b3c9e46e510e51c3224b80.jpg

This is what the other side of my RC shop looks like..

IMG_Jul282021at84123AM.jpg.b0c3fe05b02c7b77011d799dbcbc6d38.jpg

• Thanks 1

I've received some more parts for my latest Wild Willy projects...

simensays_ww_parts_01.jpg
simensays_ww_parts_02.jpg

¨Please note that I did not design the axe/shovel - this excellent scale part is designed by fellow TC member @Johan.

• Like 4

@simensays That's a cool grill.  I take it you are going to illuminate the head lights it from behind?  Is that a single piece print, or are the headlight lenses separate pieces from the grill?

@Johan So the shovel/axe is mounted on the driver side (left) of the GP in this design which is perfect for an MB series Willy, but our Willy is a MC  which I believe the shovel/axe were mounted on the passenger (right) side of the vehicle.  Is there a way you can mirror image the entire shovel/axe so that it can be mounted on the passenger side?   I say this after painting and installing more than 10 of them on my various M38's, but would like to re-do them if available.  :D  Thanks.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:33 AM, Willy iine said:

@simensays That's a cool grill.  I take it you are going to illuminate the head lights it from behind?  Is that a single piece print, or are the headlight lenses separate pieces from the grill?

We'll see, I designed the grill and the clear lenses a long time ago, as I wanted a 7 slot grill with some custom details, and some clear lenses allowing for a possible LED mod down the line. The lenses are separate parts.

3 hours ago, simensays said:

We'll see, I designed the grill and the clear lenses a long time ago, as I wanted a 7 slot grill with some custom details, and some clear lenses allowing for a possible LED mod down the line. The lenses are separate parts.

That's cool.  Maybe down the road I'll try illuminating one of my WW2's.  

In other news, I got bored and made a comical SandScorcher Beetle (in my profile page if interested).  It is on a GF01. 

Nothing very interesting, but essential for  one of my projects.
Front body mount and clip mount, designed to be printed in plastic (versatile processed nylon).

simensays_front_bodypost_1.jpg

simensays_front_bodypost_2.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 6:03 PM, Willy iine said:

@simensays Nice.  Would this mount still use the factory spring?

Yes, that is the plan. I could simply make a complete front body mount, without the spring, but I have plenty of springs, and wanted to test how printing the bolt thread works (since it is a M10 thread I think it should be ok). As this is made as a plastic part, I've beefed it up somewhat, and included space for a lock nut.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2015 at 9:51 PM, mongoose1983 said:

Well, I think we'll have to wait for prices to come down to make them available at more reasonable costs. By now I believe there's guys here making truly amazing custom parts (and very resistant from what I've heard) but the finish requires a lot of work done to them. I'm sure in the not so distant future the 3D printers will deliver a smoother finish. In the meantime, with such prices I know such fantastic parts are not in my list :(

Many years later, and the prices have only gone up :( Now we do have more options and smoother finishes, but unfortunately not really for durable materials...