ChrisRx718

F103GT-S Porsche 934 Turbo

Hi Chris,

I can't believe i've come across this thread tonight. I've just finished building an F103GT chassis with a view to fitting the 934 body. I have sourced the body and body parts from Tamico.de and have found the decals on another website. Steve at Fibre-Lyte has made loads of chassis parts for me over the years so will give him a call tomorrow. If you have any more tips please pass them on!

Thanks again, Lee :)

Sadly not, most rc stuff has more or less ground to a halt over the last 12 months - it's been pretty hectic with our youngest daughter having been born last June. I've not been able to do much since!

I get probably an hour a week at the moment, but hopefully things will pick up later in the year.

As per the Ltd edition 40th anniversary thread, I've been messing around with some different BBS wheels from MST. I think the design is better but I miss the big fat rear tyres a bit. What do you think? 

4EF04053-1FD8-4F5A-8D5D-D80E5782BFAB.jpg

AC696E2B-A41B-4E6C-87F1-C7FD2CE79537.jpg

181CCA99-3CC3-4AF8-B70E-D77452B91AAC.jpg

The only other thing I've done is experiment with the motor. I had this Hobbywing esc designed for 1:16 scale and had no use for it. What about putting a tiny brushless inrunner into the F103? It's already a super lightweight chassis so torque shouldn't be a problem? I'll conduct a little test and see anyway. It does look a bit inadequate in there! 

81F3744D-066E-43DE-8A27-7B8F1D734556.jpg

• Like 2

That came out really nice. If the 40th anniversary car had not come out, I was fixing to go your route with 103gt chassis.  What did you use for the body lines?  I agree with you on the big wheel lol but what can you do A 1.9" wheel equates to a 19" wheel which look huge on most real cars. 

Holy thread revival batman!

I've been tinkering with this again recently. 

I kind of lost heart with it when the 40th Anniversary (2016) 934 came out, subsequently the bodyshell, accessories and stickers became much, much easier to get hold of. Remember when I did this back in 2015 the only way to get the body and wing was to order the 9 digit spare part from the 30th Anniversary 49400 model.

It's a bit less special now and hasn't been shown much love :(

Until this weekend!

50184130567_fc6d11c0c7_b.jpg

Detailed with a sharpie and sporting it's MST multi-offset dish wheels. Still looks sharp, but I've since purchased a new Vaillant bodyshell and a spare so this body will become a runner!

50183328708_bdfba52f0e_b.jpg

So the black-can Sport Tuned motor is becoming a bit of a rarity and probably a bit too lively for the very light running this chassis will do. I've swapped it out for the RS540-SH which came with the F103GT chassis kit, for some reason this is much, much more shiny than a traditional silver can and has red and black wires? 

The other thing that really bothered me was the fitment of Tamiya 26mm tyres on the '26mm' MST rims. 

I also invested in some more blue bling to treat the old girl.

So wheels off and 1 tyre swapped:

50183872776_d3a519bbf2_b.jpg

MST tyre fits the rim much, much better. It's a lower profile overall which I'm less happy about, the wheels already looked too big IMO, this is only going to make that issue look worse!

I also detailed the very edge of the inserts with a Molotow chrome paint pen. Little details!

50183872746_78795b579f_b.jpg

MST tyre fits MST rim much better, surprise surprise B)

50184130457_a711a2cf6b_b.jpg 

I love how simple the F103 platform is. 4x screws later and the entire rear section is separated from the chassis.

50184130432_2bd3921b92_b.jpg

3Racing Diff and Tamiya Carbon fibre axle setup. Again, easily removed from the rear motor cage. 

Love that the 3Racing diff outdrive features an access slot for adjusting the ball diff tension! Actually a better design than the Tamiya part - what a turn-up!

Another 6 screws and the motor plate and motor are removed.

50183328558_d2e8fba4be_b.jpg

Reassembled with the new motor

50183328533_07ae4a0ab0_b.jpg

Excuse the over-exposure, I think the sun came out here B)

50183328528_d9e84158c0_b.jpg

All 4 tyres changed and re-fitted

50184130342_525fbac61c_b.jpg

50183872551_fd5fe8b2e1_b.jpg

50184130302_a9c542154e_b.jpg

One of my best custom creations and I'm still proud of it. Now that I'm up to speed with magnetic body mounts I'll get the bodyshell properly mounted. I'll use this shell as a runner and with the slower motor it should survive my chaotic driving. The spare shell I have I'll paint up in silver and I've got some Fuchs wheels from the  911 RSR kit on their way. 

I also have a Vaillant body set with stickers from Tamico. Likely I'll put this on display.

Then I'm creating another 230mm wheelbase creation to use this red bodyshell on :ph34r:

• Like 9

That looks lovely.

Hmmm sport tuned too lively!!! Ive spent all day sunday doing the worst soldering the world has ever seen trying to shoehorn a quickrun 10.t brushless in mine without any great success as the 12awg wires are like steel rods. Is tthat motor likely to be undriveable?

35 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

That looks lovely.

Hmmm sport tuned too lively!!! Ive spent all day sunday doing the worst soldering the world has ever seen trying to shoehorn a quickrun 10.t brushless in mine without any great success as the 12awg wires are like steel rods. Is tthat motor likely to be undriveable?

Cheers.

Yes, I would say so. I've tried a 19T brushed on 2S then tried it on 3S and both were very difficult. If you have throttle mapping you will want to reduce the 'punch' right down and have a very steady trigger finger. As a minimum you will want to fit a gyro to stabilise the car too. Since it is rigid rear axle you can't adapt the rear toe-angle to increase stability mechanically.

Very hard car to drive quickly on anything but mild motors.

Love the little touch with the chrome paint on the edge of the rim. Makes it looks much more realistic! Will remember it for my own 2-piece MST's.

On 8/3/2020 at 5:17 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

. . . 

Then I'm creating another 230mm wheelbase creation to use this red bodyshell on :ph34r:

. . . .

Next Chassis?

Now that some more stuff has been released over the years, anything else you would use instead of the F103GT chassis? 

Built a Body, thought it would be easy to get something close . . .but this looks quite complicated (ordering chassis parts and such).