NiDarby

Sand scorcher build

Hi guys, I'm currently building a scratch build scorcher and thought I'd show you how far I have got so far. I started with the gearbox. All the shafts have been made from titanium. The final gear drive shaft is now a one piece titanium shaft too.

DSC_0164_zpsf8n1m8tr.jpg

DSC_0168_zpszok7x4be.jpg

The driveshafts are also made from titanium, as are the hinge pins on the wisbones

DSC_0155_zps6wfvg2tc.jpg

DSC_0208_zpszpexzzmj.jpg

The rear cage is made from 1/4 titanium bar and was a real pain to bend and get right!!

DSC_0235_zpstehrk0zg.jpg

The front axles are now made from titanium and I have bored out stainless bar and fitted ballraces (ive not seen anyone else do this yet)

DSC_0248_zpsrg15vyd3.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsdqjo9506.jpg

The chassis took me a while to design as I wanted it to be different to others available. I have machined it from 3mm aluminium to get my holes right. once happy I have a nice piece of grade 1 titanium to make it out of.

DSC_0174_zpsf3fyfrvq.jpg

I have fitted new shocks.

DSC_0233_zpsogbkdrim.jpg

DSC_0292_zpsru7fjlaj.jpg

I have still got lots of work to do. I have designed a battery holder and im currently designing a titanium gear cover and front bumper.

This is how the car looks at the moment...

DSC_0293_zpslbi1prqm.jpg

Any feedback would be appreciated

Neil

• Like 8

I love what you're doing!

I'm not a huge fan of those shocks - preferring something more scale perhaps? - but your machining work (especially that rear cage) is beautiful!

Can't wait to see more!

Jx

Brilliant work love the ballraces on the front axles should improve stability - I've suffered with holes elongating in the upright which gives sloppy front suspension.

Rear cage is excellent work - will you be able to get the motor cover on?

Looking forward to following this.

Rich

Looks superb - must be nice and light too what with being made from ti?

Agree with Jenny RE> shocks, they just look a little out of place on what is otherwise a beautifully machined piece. Some internally-sprung shocks designed for crawlers might improve the aesthetic.

Great work. Can't help noticing you have a bit of a titanium habit... you might want to talk to someone about that :D

All this noble metal and the poor pot metal gearbox?

You must built a 7075 lightened rear gearbox by yourself.

;)

Max

• Like 1

That looks fantastic. I love the work you did to the chassis.

Thanks for the kind replies guys. On the matter of the shocks, im not really a scale modeller and went with something i liked the look of. Im really building the car to do a video as im an amateur photographer and now have hd video capability. The car will only run on sand i expect. It is coming along now though. Im currently trying to make a titanium front bumper....im on my third attempt!! Once the video is finished im probably going to sell the car to buy an astute or something of the like as my background in rc is 1/10th off road. I will post spme more pics when o have completed tje next stage of the build..

Neil

Man this is rad. Lovin the work you've done here.

My feedback for you would be :- Make your parts available for me to buy. The ball raced, titanium shafted front end setup is killer!

Keep it comin!

• Like 1

thanks for bumping this thread as i missed it at the time.

Fantastic work!

I would love to see someone graft a sway away adjuster onto the front beam, same as the 1/1 version. ;)

• Like 3

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments. It's still coming on, just a little bit slower now because of being busy at work. I have machined the rear arms to accept ballraces on the inside now, a dual bearing setup. Ive also made some wheel adaptors from aluminium and fitted them to the titanium driveshafts. They will be anodised soon. I did machine a titanium chassis but it is almost impossible to bend the wings on the sides without distortion. I have gone with a 3mm aluminium one instead which will be anodised. the battery cage is finished and im really happy with it. I'm currently working on designing a skid plate and the titanium front bumper...

DSC_0076_zpsf8iapoy7.jpg

DSC_0089_zpsexpa7u0p.jpg

DSC_0088_zpsocn5ysny.jpg

DSC_0087_zpsuyhrtog1.jpg

DSC_0086_zpsibeiezsg.jpg

• Like 7

WOW WOW WOW !!!! amazing work,

Really liking all your titaniumn parts, ANY for sale :D

I'm sure you can build some awesome scale shocks that fit perfect to the SRB's.

Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks for the kind comments. I would love to sell some parts but the nature of where I work wouldn't allow it unfortunately. I am looking into the possibility of designing my own shocks (a long way off yet though). I've had a go at a skid plate. The picture shows it in development state. It will be a nicer finish when completed. Im not sure I like it. The cutouts may need changing. Sorry about the picture quality, It was a quick one on my phone...

DSC_0209_zpszgthq0nt.jpg

Skid plate looks good, disappointed to hear you can't make any copies of your great parts :(

Fitting a sway away is something I've thought about a lot for years . I lack the skills but in theory a piece of thin spring steel strip let into the ' torsion tubes ' would work .

• Like 1

Fantastic engineering work!

Guessing CNC and nightshifts? ;-)

All cut by hacksaw!!! No, seriously, I've been very lucky to get this far. We're busy at the moment so things have slowed up a bit on the scorcher. Hoping for the body to be finished soon though.

Neil

• Like 1

If anyone's interested in a trade, I'm after an Astute, Dyna storm or Top Force.....