XV Pilot

Rally Mini - tyres and other suggestions?

With the arrival of a shiney new M-05 that will serve as my new track car for Mini class, I have decided to convert my trusty M-03 track racer into a rally car.

So far I have a few bits for the project, and a few more on order. They are:

M-03 chassis (obviously)

Mini bodyshell (Monte Carlo Rally version)

Sport Tuned motor

Steel pinion

Alloy hexes

Rubber sealed bearing kit

Water-resistant RX, ESC & servo

Oil shocks

Quick-release battery holder

AW grease for the diff

However I am still on the lookout for some suitable tyres. Tamiya's excellent 51427 mini rally blocks are 60D size, which is a bit bigger than the 50568 Mini Cooper tyre set that matches my chosen bodyshell. I could of course simply trim the wheel arches a bit and use the 51427s, but one of my aims with this model is to keep it as scale as possible, so if there is a smaller alternative, I am open to suggestions.

Also, if anyone else has done a successful M-03 rally conversion, and has any other suggestions, I would love to read about them!

We ran a successful Rally Mini class down here for a few years... tyres were open, and this was in the days before the M05-Ra and Tamiya's Mini Rally Blocks. People ran whatever they could fit under the arches, whatever they could glue on to the wheels. Mostly, however, they wnet for 60D sizing, as it was racing, sheepstations and all!

Here's a selection of some I have left from those days, with some new ones thrown in for good measure:

img154_19102014013237_5.jpg

From left to right:

- 1:18 (Associated 18R I think) truck spike tyres squeezed over rims

- Similar 1:18 size tyres, just a different pattern

- Speedmind RT-29 touring tyres, sliced and diced to fit the smaller diameter wheels

- Brand new Corsair Racing M-Chassis tyres, these look like a factory Tamiya Rally Block but smaller.

- Another different 1:18 tyre tread pattern

- Metro Jet Hopper front tyres, glued to Mini rims. These were my choice, I was obviously hoping for mud!

- Current Tamiya 51427 Mini Rally Blocks, for size comparison.

Another angle, showing the sidewall dimension:

img154_19102014013237_6.jpg

Back in the day, if you were crafty, you could cut down any touring 1:10 tyre to fit, including normal Rally Blocks, so something like a Schumacher Mini Pin might work too.

Hope that helps!

Alex

• Like 1

There's the Corsair's mounted. Never tried it as the class went toes up before I got out there. The body is a Chevron Mini Monster and the rims... I got from RC Mart.

P7223074_zpsza9fxrk8.jpg

P7223075_zpsndjgkrls.jpg

Posted Image

Cheap Chinese wheels I got ages ago but know idea why.

52.5mm edge of rim

68mm edge of tyre

26mm wide

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

There aren't any organised rally events in these parts, so I am not looking for the ultimate offroad grip at the expense of scale appearance. Rather, I fancy building a car that can run on multiple surface types while looking good doing so. The end result needs to look as close to this as possible:

58483.jpg

...So I'm afraid blue tyres are out, as are minipins. Those Speedmind RT-29s cut to fit Mini rims look the part though. Perhaps I should look out for some low profile touring tyres with a reasonably aggressive tread, and try something similar.

Or maybe I should see how little arch shaving I can get away with, save myself a whole lot of hassle and simply go for one of the 60D options such as the Corsairs.

Are there any particular chassis or suspension mods that you experienced mini rally builders/drivers found useful?

M05ra F-parts will get you some more ground clearance. The rear uprights and front C-hubs come with two sets of mounting holes, one for standard ride height, and a 2nd set of holes which will lift the car about 5mm so you've got the best of both worlds.

I think the do black as well as blue :-) love the look of the minilite rims

Great project XV. I've had something similar in mind for a while and watching the TopGear India special recently convinced me I need a capable rally mini. I'm using a old TL01 chassis that I'll shorten. It'll let me cheat and go 4x4 or FWD like it should be 😉

BTW Those blue off road tyres are also available in black

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251719085525

Where can I buy those Corsair Racing rally block tyres? They seem to have vanished... maybe they got stopped in making them because they look like Tamiya rally block treads?

I see them here at RC Mart but they are sold out ;-

http://www.rcmart.com/corsair-racing-tm1855-mchassis-rally-tire-p-27474.html

Is there a website for Corsair Racing?

BTW what outside diameter are the Tamiya 51427 rally block mini tires (maximum) ?

Regards,

Alistair G.

The Mini Rally block tyres by Tamiya are the best out there. We ran a lot of different tyres, someone got those and they got over a full lap over everyone else with the extra grip.. needless to say we all use them now. (Surfaces were dusty tarmac, gravel, short grass and dirt)