shozgetz

TT-02 what to upgrade

Hi i have a Alfa Romeo 155 and i would like some advice on what would be the first things to upgrade. I am looking to go Brushless right off the bat. Any advice would be great. thank you

I found this blog pretty useful:

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/tamiya-tt02-guide-mods-tuning-and-tips.html

Only running 21.5 in mine, but still went with alloy prop shaft, yeah racing adjustable motor mount (The Tamiya alloy mount is a bit pointless), universals all round, adjustable upper arms, and high speed gear set.

The suspension setup off the TT02S is an awesome upgrade.

Bearings and shock upgrades are also a given.

• Like 1

Wow thank you for the advice !!! Somthing i would need some input on would be what would be good specks for a brushless motor for this and is there any metal diff gears that will work in this thanks

Bearings, pinion and shocks would be my first upgrades.

The metal diffs used in the DT02 are a direct fit.

Are you using the stock TBLE-02 ESC or a different one? If so, which? This will impact your motor choice.

The plastic drive cups and dogbones aren't pretty but they last surprisingly well even with brushless power, so you can keep using them if funds are tight.

A metal motor mount will help with cooling, and a metal propshaft will outlast the plastic item, although the plastic TT02 propshaft is a lot better than the TT01 item and can handle more power without going banana-shaped.

A ballraced alloy steering rack is a nice upgrade, along with a turnbuckle kit.

Oh, and if you are running in the cold, metal wheel hexes are a good idea as the plastic ones crack easily when low temps make them brittle. (They are fine in the warm though.)

• Like 1

Hey thank you i am looking at a sensorless 40amp forward/reverse ESC and a 3c lipo i am not shure what kv and what T to get any ideas and hey the info on the metal diffs thank youl so much on that any more advice would be great

Hey and i forgot to ask you said that the metal diff gears in the DT02 will fit in the diffs of my TT02. Stupid question the gears are the same front to back right so if i buy two sets of the metal DT02 gears i will be set for both diffs. sorry i am just brand new to Tamiya so i need some help thank you so much for your help !!!

when xv-01 says dt02 metal diffs that's just a typo :) he means df-02, you can get the df-02 parts bag A and the plastic diff cases from the df-02. The parts bag comes with other usefull bits, these diffs are what I use in my tt-02 and tt-02b. The bevel gear from the df-02 fits aswell and Is in the parts bag, just needs some filing down to match the plastic one.

OK thanks hey i was looking and i found some metal bevel gears from the tt01 will they fit i just want to have full metal gearing aside from the spur gear that i dont care i have nitro cars and the plastic spur as long as the clutch is not to tight work great but i would like to see metal in the diffs. thank you to all that have helped me so far !!!!!

Yes, that was a typo, my apologies. I did mean the DF02 diffs.

The diff internals are quite different, so it is not a case of taking the metal gears from inside a DF02 diff and fitting them in the TT02 diff case. Rather, you take the whole DF02 diff and pop it in your car in place of the plastic stock one.

And yes, they are the same front and rear.

Hey thank you for clearing that up for me. Hey is there any way of making the bevel gears from the tt01 to fit into the tt02 i am looking for the lowest cost way of getting metal gears in the diffs can you think of any other ways of making this happen ? thank you so much for all of your help

Based on what I have read about the diff problems faced by the guys who race TT02Bs at Boondal, it is not the internal bevel gears that give problems, but rather the big ring gear that forms part of the body of the diff. This flexes under high loads, allowing the diff pinion to skip.

Some fit metal reinforcing plates to the ring gear, while others use the DF02 diffs as they have metal ring gears that don't flex. Running the metal DF02 diff pinion is also a popular mod, as the stock plastic ones have been known to shed teeth under high loads.

It is not as common as the aforementioned issues, but some people have also reportedly managed to break the little plastic cross-shaped piece that the diff bevel gears ride on. Again the DF02 diffs solve this issue, as they use a 3-pronged metal piece instead. And you then also have the option of running the very strong machined and hardened 3-pronged metal piece from (I think) the CR01 diff. (At least I think that is where it comes from. Perhaps a CR01 owner could confirm?)

Cost-wise, using DF02 diffs is probably the cheapest way of getting metal in your drivetrain. The parts bags don't cost a fortune - I got the bits to build two DF02 diffs plus a nice selection of other useful metal parts such as ball connectors, a spare steel pinion, etc, for about £15 delivered off Ebay.

hey guys wow hats off to you .!! you guys really know your stuff . Now where would i get the diff housing ? And one other thing that i need help with is choosing the right brushless motor what would you guys pick i am going to run a 45a esc and a 3c lipo what would you guys pick for just some mild parking lot racing any ideas on this would be great thanks a bunch !!!

9 hours ago, PotatoheadMan said:

The diff casings are the same, only they are more expensive and difficult to get on their own. You would be better off getting a TT-01 gear bag and using the casings from there, as these are cheaper and more readily available.

(The only difference between a DF-02 and TT-01 diff is the ring gear material - metal vs. plastic. The internal gears and plastic casings are identical.)