Sign in to follow this  
taliesin

TLT-1 questions

1. Anybody know of manufacturer of upgraded chassis parts - like carbon fiber side plates for the little beast?

Just don't care for the great slab 'o aluminum plate look. Maybe painted black with some scale stickers like a real Monster would be OK too - but carbon fiber goodness is better.

2. Also, recommendations for a smallish Lipo that would work rather than the pyramid hump pack that it normally calls for?

3. Other recommendations for a solid runner?

Tamiya and (I think) GPM made carbon fibre chassis plates.

I think most people would recommend locking the centre diff, it just seems to perform better that way. If you want to use it as a crawler think about locking the axle diffs but for general running it isn't necessary. And buy some spare belts, just in case!

Spare belts - check. Will order some today if they can be found. Out of curiosity - is that a known weakness or just a prudent buy since parts are getting scarce?

Lock center diff - check. This will be a general basher, so I will leave the axle diffs open but lock the center.

Will check for Tamiya and GPM. I've seen some blue aluminum and that is a possibility too, but carbon fiber would be trick.

Thanks for the tips!!

Most of the chassis kits extend them to more of a 1/10th size, but yeah, there were a few stock size in the day.

I bought this with the idea to strip the axles and make an old school crawler rig or maybe a trail rig, but ... I'm deep in the grip of a Monster Truck thing at the moment, and well ... you know, its a Monster Truck. Just a very small one. :lol:

• Like 2

I have an old chassis kicking around, PRP TLT-10, I think it was called. The first after market chassis for the TLT as far as I know. A FRP and aluminum jigsaw puzzle that uses Traxxas gears in the middle and gives you a 11" wheelbase, so 1/12th monster if you use Wheely King tires!

Will take a photo of it if I can't find one... and yes, the PM button is there if it takes your fancy lol.

Not mine, but the same. You can see the relief for a normal stick pack to run across the frame, just rear of center.

elarge6pp_zpshfzotn0x.jpg

Again, not mine... I squirrelled a few photos when they were new, as I never could of afforded one at the new price lol. Something like $300...

1large9wh_zpsqmybyvv5.jpg

Ooh, that's a good looking setup. That was my first idea was to go old school and get closer to 1/12 or even a 1/10 scale rig, but now I'm thinking just to build it as original but with a few upgrades for looks and better function.

Seems to be a nice little rig and my only complaints are the great hulking slab 'o aluminum sideplates and the can't use it for anything else battery configuration. If I can't find some nice carbon fiber sideplates that keep it the original size then plan B is to paint them black and to sticker them up to give the illusion of something different.

The battery thing - well, there must be a small Lipo that will fit nicely it just might take some looking.

Wow, those look good but they certainly aren't giving them away.

I also saw a site for Penguin RC here, but it looks old - note the 2004 date at the bottom: http://www.penguinrc.com/products/tamiya/p2300.html

Not sure that one is still around or available.

It looks like most of the chassis plates out there are to make crawlers which I totally get. That is still an option I guess, but I'm very curious to see how these little guys go as a more or less stock MT rather than a crawler. I've got a pile of cash into a dedicated crawler and just don't need another since the one I've got far exceeds my skills, LOL.

Just out of curiosity, how are people locking the center ball diff?

Looks pretty simple then. Thanks for the link - that answers that question!!

I just had an idea, albeit simple, to get around the slabs of aluminium. Go to a sign writer and get some matt black vinyl adhesive sheet and cut little triangles and rectangles to make it look at a glance like a frame?

That's a really good thought and would be quite simple to do and a bit of a fun project. While the carbon fiber and anodized aluminum look great the price is a bit dear for this project. Going to have to rethink this thing, and the vinyl idea is a cracker! Nice one!!!

Dorvack, what bushings are you referring to? Do you have a picture or link?

In my TLT when it ihad the stock transmission, I used Traxxas slipper clutch friction pegs. I am not sure if you can still get them (since Traxxas has changed their design now) , but they were these little red hard rubber cylinders that fit through "generic" spur gears instead of the usual 1/8" balls, like the original RC10 and pan car ball diffs. I just used them instead of the balls. Would work fine for your application.

I also saw a site for Penguin RC here, but it looks old - note the 2004 date at the bottom: http://www.penguinrc.com/products/tamiya/p2300.html

Not sure that one is still around or available.

I picked up one of the Penguin chassis kits on ebay a few years ago for a reasonable price, it's really nice to put together. I don't have many pics of it, but there is one at the bottom of my showroom:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?id=21086&cid=81312&t=07052015205855

It's really easy to do custom projects with a TLT-1. It's fun, and admittedly you're better off throwing out the original gearbox: It's Centre of Gravity (CoG) is way too high. This is what I made:

DSC08030.jpg

DSC08032.jpg

DSC05725.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

It's pretty simple really: These are the mods I did:

- I replaced the standard gearbox for a Traxxas 1/16 unit - it lowers the CoG, it's cheap and more durable than the Tamiya unit, it has a slipper clutch in it (even if it's a basic one) and the option for a centre diff..

- I made a custom chassis with a longer wheelbase from G10 composite material.

- I used adapters and Traxxas telescopic driveshafts for the drivetrain connection.

- The 4-link system is lengthened with M3 threaded rod - it's not the most durable solution as they buckle in hard impacts, but that also reliefs the stresses on other parts.

- I bought some extra TLT-1 parts - to be precise, the battery tray and the long chassis screws and posts.

- I replaced the small TLT-1 tires with ones from the Wild Willy/Lunchbox/etc. for some extra ground clearance.

- I bought an HPI Wheely King body to fit on the car.

The result is a 1/12-ish scale Monster truck in which I can fit a 540 or a 380 motor - though I can tell you from experience, 380 brushless power is plenty :lol: The double battery cradle means I can fit a 'Shorty' LiPo pack in it.

The car is seriously quick but at the same time it's still fun-sized - it fits in my backpack! :)

This started off life as a TLT-1:

img33435_15072012232000_1.jpg

img33435_15072012232000_3.jpg

but the only TLT parts on it now are the shocks. When I started the project I found that the stock TLT chassis performed an awful lot better with a set of Mad Bull rear wheels and tyres all round. The extra tire width made it more stable, and the larger diameter gives a better ground clearance.

• Like 1