Truck Norris

TN's Ultimate Juggernaut New Build Project

The Juggernaut / Jugg 2 was released between me loosing interest in RC and getting back into it so I never experienced it new. Since becoming addicted again last year I've been in love with the truck and I think it's the best kit Tamiya has ever made. Sure it's flawed but it just looks fantastic.

In January I aquired a NIB Jugg 2 and since then I've bought the alu shocks, steering rods and light kit:

jugg-and-hopups.jpg

But... I won't be needing any of that because last week this lot arrived:

jugg-new-parts.jpg

I'd planned to use the High-Lift body so I could fit more lights and last weekend I this got me thinking whether it was feasible to build a Jugg from new parts. This would allow me to keep the kit I have lovely and NIB.

A quick bit of reasearch indicated that yes, this was do-able. I created a spreadsheet and using a manual scan along with my NIB kit I listed the parts I'd need along with availablity status. Using the High-Lift body It works out at more than the cost of a decent built example, but less than a NIB kit.

Amazingly, Modellbau-Seidel had almost all the metal parts bags, and about two thirds of the plastic parts trees. They also had all the High-Lift body parts I'd need too. I then had an idea regarding the parts bags they didn't have. I checked for Jugg 1 versions of these and they had them. So long as I had the Jugg 2 versions of the bits that mattered then it would be fine.

What I have is Bag A, E, G, H from the Jugg 2 and B, C, D, F from the Jugg 1, along with the 93020 upgraded diffs and Jugg 2 / TXT centre gearbox casing and gears. This will effectively give me a Jugg 1 upgraded to Jugg 2 specs.

One mistake I made was to buy the Jugg 1 Bag C which included the prop shafts. I had't realised they were changed too. I've paid more for something I don't need so now need to buy the Jugg 2 shafts.

I located 4x J parts and 1x F parts from eBay and incredibly a sticker pack, brand new for £11.60!

The remaining F, G and a couple of wheels are on the way.

Alu Dampers

Prior to buying the 53369 dampers last week I'd discovered that these could be built with TLT-1 parts. So last month I bought the bits to do that:

jugg-shock-parts.jpg

Ahhh! I hear you say, "The springs are wrong, the 53369 kit has progressivly wound springs!"

Yep, they do and you can buy them separately:

jugg-shock-springs.jpg

Annoyingly I needed 4 packs and Seidel only had 3... Nowhere else seems to have any. I'll have to use the TLT springs in one corner and make sure the truck is never photographed from that angle!

As I'm building my ultimate Jugg I'll be making some improvements. First of all some slightly better motors:

torque-tuned-motors.jpg

Then another reason for using the High-Lift body, I can fit one of these:

mfc.jpg

Ahhh! I hear you say, "The Jugg has twin motors! The MFC won't run two motors!"

I have a plan for this - using a splitter cable, split channel 2 to run to the MFC and an ESC. The ESC running the motors, the MFC making the sound. I've got an MFC in my Tundra so I tried this. It works fine using two batteries. Next step is to try it with a battery splitter and a dual motor ESC. Oh, and made sure it fits too.

More soon!

• Like 6

This is going to be amazing! I love the monster truck rc's. I've got a vintage clod, vintage blackfoot and just built a WT01 monster beetle. This is a kit which is definately on my buy list. I think you're right and it's the most impressive looking kit out there along with the bruiser and it's variations.

If you don't mind saying. How much did it cost to buy the parts individually?

Subscribed! :)

Awesome project, will definitely be following this. The Jugg is always an awesome looking truck but this is going to be something special.

All the parts from Seidel laid out in the second photo above came to €420 / £302.

In addition to that I've bought various parts from eBay and other shops.

Total so far is £455 including delivery costs. I've not counted the cost of motors as I've not bought new ones. They'd only be a tenner or so for a pair of silver cans anyhow.

Some of the bits I've bought have been quite expensive and if you're buying from multiple sources the delivery charges add up too. If you were patient enough to hold out for good deals on the bits you could probably do it cheaper, but I didn't want to risk missing out! I was quite surprised that I've managed to source all but three bits and I've only been looking a week.

I'm now just missing the following parts:

0005761 / 0005722 E Parts x2 (wheel hubs, swing arm mounts etc)

9805607 Wheels and tyres x1 (one set of two wheels and two tyres) (I've got a pair on the way)

The wheels come up reasonably often, but I can't find the E parts anywhere. There's not even any shown when you do a worldwide completed items search on eBay.

Has anyone got a pair of E parts they'd be willing to sell? (I'll post a wanted ad too)

I don't know if this is a no no because I've never kept an unbuilt kit NIB. Could you just use the parts from the box kit which are missing so you could start the build and then you can pick up the 3 items missing at your leisure and then add them to to unbuilt box kit?

Again I don't know if this isn't the done thing with NIB kits or how eager you are to start the build. Hope your parts become available soon. :)

That's a possibility, although I'd need to either obtain replacements that were still in the OEM packaging which would make it harder, or retain the OEM packaging and re-seal it with the replacement parts in. That option seems a bit like tampering with the kit maybe?

I've got 8 other kits to build or finish so my patience is OK... For now at least! I also like to finish the body before I start on the chassis and it won't be good painting weather for a while yet.

Nice build..

But instead of having everyone have to go and search, could you post a pic of what the "E" Parts are?

I have a set of e parts somewhere and I am confident I can get a second set, I also have nip wheels and tyres.

Berman, have PMd you :)

Nice build..

But instead of having everyone have to go and search, could you post a pic of what the "E" Parts are?

Thanks! Sorry, it's 2 of these trees:

jugg-e-parts.jpg

Wow this is going to be an awesome build! I will be watching this with eager anticipation! :D

More parts collected:

jugg-parts-mar-17.jpg

Red and blue chassis rails from Hong Kong (set of each and the bumpers came last week, ordered more so I could use a set and keep a set NIP. Will probably build with blue if I can find the blue bumpers somewhere.

E parts from Norway

F parts from the US

F parts x3 and G parts from Switzerland

Got E parts and wheels on the way, big thanks to Berman for helping out with those :D

I've been using a red, amber, green system in my spreadsheet to track where I am with the relevant parts

Red - need but can't locate

Amber - ordered but not dispatched (so possibility of order not being able to be fulfilled)

Green - dispatched and on its way

I now have no reds, no ambers and just two greens for the E parts and wheels. Nearly there!

• Like 1

Last parts of the puzzle arrived yesterday, thanks to Berman!

jugg-wheels-e-parts.jpg

Now I have everything I need to build the standard truck:

jugg-all-parts.jpg

Put all the parts in my empty TXT-2 box:

jugg-all-parts-in-box-motors.jpg

With its NIB brother:

jugg-nib-and-parts.jpg

Next steps - acquire more Hopups and MFC, then wait for painting weather.

• Like 3

Price ? The trick is finding one !

Look at more than $675 US to start, unless you get lucky.

So, TN - is this then one NIB to keep and one new parts collection to form a complete one to build ?

Or are you building two ?

• Like 1

Yes, the NIB will be kept as such, and the parts collection will be used to build one. I'll use the TLT dampers so the Alu ones can remain NIB, the MFU will be used instead of the light set, and I have two sets of all the other Hop-ups.

• Like 1

Great, looking forward the Jugg is one of my favourite Tamiya releases. I wish they would re release it.

Can't wait to see yours all done, I've a Jugg 2 with all the Tamiya options and another with several aftermarket modifications in my showroom, they are great trucks !

More parts

jugg-parts-apr-2.jpg

- Jugg 1 mechanism deck which has no section for the receiver battery pack - I won't use the receiver pack and it's more space for the MFC.

- The missing Jugg 2 prop shafts.

- Battery splitter to (hopefully) run the MFC and ESC off a single battery.

- Two more springs for the alu Hop-up dampers. Seidel got some more in so I now have all eight.

- Shafts for the alu dampers. As the shocks are TLT items the cheapest way is to buy TLT bag D. I could only find one bag, so bought more shafts separately. These are the same 9804189 as the Egress rears.

More Hop-ups

jugg-suspension-arms.jpg

Two perfect condition Jugg suspension arms sets courtesy of Tamiyabigstuff and a new set with a slightly bashed and dog-eared box from the US. I'll keep the good ones NIB and use the ones with the damaged box. Just need one final set of these and then I have two sets to use and two to keep.

My plan is to have a full set of options NIB and build the truck with another full set, hence buying two of everything (or four of everything for the items that require two sets per truck). I now have two sets of everything except the arms (missing one set) and the blue bumpers - one set on the way, one still to find.

Neil @ Time Tunnel models has one of these trucks in his collection. I'm not sure how many upgrades it had, but certainly remember it having the light setup.

I was and still am very jealous - this model is really impressive even just static. I look forward to your build though very green eyes..

This is going to turn out really nicely. A couple of comments. The high lift body has wider wheel archs. The 4 wheel steering and rounded edge profile of the juggernaut tires make it really easy to roll the truck in turns. If you plan to run it, get some squarer edged tires from the clod.

• Like 1

This won't be a runner, I've got Clod, TXT-2 and another project for that. I know the Jugg tyres are a bit roll prone but they look awesome and define the truck so they are definitely staying!

I'm aware of the body differences too, got some comparison shots like this one:

jugg-bodies-arches-front.jpg

A bit overpriced, like most items from that seller, and seeing as I need only the one item from that set I'd already decided to give it a miss. Will keep looking :)

• Like 1

The only things in common with the Juggernaut and hilift from memory is the glass, rollbar and (maybe the) rear bumper I think, everything else is different.

I agree with the above comment too. I hope he hasn't got any NIB mk1 hotshots lol.

No runner?! Come on mate, you've got to at least putt it around the lounge so we can hear the finished product B)

Jugg / Hi-Lift body differences

HL has holes for wipers:

jugg-bodies.jpg

HL front wheel arches bigger:

jugg-bodies-arches-front.jpg

HL rear arches are bigger:

jugg-bodies-arches-rear.jpg

Jugg has moulded rear lights with stickers, HL has separate transparent parts:

jugg-bodies-rearlights.jpg

HL tailgate (right) has extra holes for mounting exhausts:

jugg-tailgates.jpg

HL screen (right) is a darker tint, no doubt to better conceal the MFC:

jugg-bodies-screens.jpg

HL roll bar (right) has notches in the K3 parts to aid fitting lights. Chrome is darker:

jugg-rollbars.jpg

HL grille (top) has recess and extra holes for indicator LEDs, again chrome is darker:

jugg-grilles.jpg

HL front bumper (top) is less detailed than the Jugg, and has sections cut out to clear the HL's leaf springs:

jugg-bumpers.jpg

HL glass parts tree has clear and yellow versions and is extended to include rear tail lamps:

jugg-light-trees.jpg

No runner?! Come on mate, you've got to at least putt it around the lounge so we can hear the finished product B)

Oh, I'll do that yes. May even venture outside on dry grass, but no more than 2mph! :D

• Like 1

So will we see a build of this or do I use my imagination to piece it all together with the lovely parts you are parading before us? ;)