Truck Norris

TN's Ultimate Juggernaut New Build Project

Patience guys! :D

I mentioned before that I'll finish the body before starting the chassis so I've made some initial steps. Started to prep the body - filling the antenna hole and sanding any moulding marks.

Bought the correct TS-8 Italian red and also the new-ish TS-85 Bright Mica Red to see how that looks. Painted some spoons to experiment:

red-spoons.jpg

From left to right different backing colours, TS-30 Silver Leaf, Tamiya Fine Grey Primer and Tamiya Fine White Primer. I don't have any of the pink primer so I'll get a can of that and see how it looks, but anything other than white appears to dark.

The difference between the Italian and Mica reds is almost indistinguishable, but it was a little breezy when I did these so going to have another go. Will also put some TS-13 clear over the top.

It's getting warmer here now but still only hitting 15°c max, so a bit longer to wait before optimum painting temps. I've got a large number of other projects on the go too, so no need to rush this one :)

• Like 2

Spoons?! You leave us here waiting around for an update and all we get is a picture of some spoons!

FWIW, if it's going to be a display-only body then why not go all-out Kandy red on it? Automotive paints will work with the correct preparation.

UK11_BC02.jpg

Give TN a break. He is entitle to savour the parts. Take them out, do the touch and sniff test, assembled them together side by side, put them back, imagine how they would all go together....and find out several key bits are missing during the assembly. :angry::P

And l prefer the lightest italian red.

• Like 1

Interesting discovery today - I found a new Jugg roll bar so bought it and on closer examination it's the correct lighter chrome than the Hi-lift, but has the cutouts for the LEDs and the date stamp is 2006. Looks like Tamiya made some spares using the Hi-lift mould at some point:

jugg-2006-roll-bar-1.jpg

jugg-2006-roll-bar-2.jpg

I still remember these when it was first released (Jugg 1) and re-released with the updated transmission (Jugg 2). It was meant to really one up their own Clodbuster and initially had good aftermarket support. Always wanted one and good to see a fresh one being built from NIP parts.

Paint time!

jugg-primed-pink.jpg

Those bits of wood are stuck to the body with double sided foam tape and work like lolly sticks allowing me to paint from any angle without touching the body. As the tape is mega sticky I put a strip of masking tape on the body first so it doesn't leave a residue.

In other news I picked up a set of the correct Jugg bumpers which were part of a lot with lamp glass and roll bar. Also thanks to member 67CamaroSS I now have a second blue bumper set, so one to use one to keep NIP.

jugg-chrome-parts.jpg

I'm painting up the easily replaceable High-Lift bumpers and grille first as a practice. Until I've perfected the method I don't want to attempt the Jugg ones.

Wow! what a project! I can't wait to see more! My next, next build will likely be a RC4WD trail stomper monster truck (leaf spring solid axle chassis with brushless power)

Loved my Jug2 but only after I'd stretched the wheelbase and made the cab flip like the bed lol. I wish I'd thought of Shodog's trick with the tyres tho... Doh!

The Juggernaut / Jugg 2 was released between me loosing interest in RC and getting back into it so I never experienced it new. Since becoming addicted again last year I've been in love with the truck and I think it's the best kit Tamiya has ever made. Sure it's flawed but it just looks fantastic.

In January I aquired a NIB Jugg 2 and since then I've bought the alu shocks, steering rods and light kit:

jugg-and-hopups.jpg

But... I won't be needing any of that because last week this lot arrived:

jugg-new-parts.jpg

I'd planned to use the High-Lift body so I could fit more lights and last weekend I this got me thinking whether it was feasible to build a Jugg from new parts. This would allow me to keep the kit I have lovely and NIB.

A quick bit of reasearch indicated that yes, this was do-able. I created a spreadsheet and using a manual scan along with my NIB kit I listed the parts I'd need along with availablity status. Using the High-Lift body It works out at more than the cost of a decent built example, but less than a NIB kit.

Amazingly, Modellbau-Seidel had almost all the metal parts bags, and about two thirds of the plastic parts trees. They also had all the High-Lift body parts I'd need too. I then had an idea regarding the parts bags they didn't have. I checked for Jugg 1 versions of these and they had them. So long as I had the Jugg 2 versions of the bits that mattered then it would be fine.

What I have is Bag A, E, G, H from the Jugg 2 and B, C, D, F from the Jugg 1, along with the 93020 upgraded diffs and Jugg 2 / TXT centre gearbox casing and gears. This will effectively give me a Jugg 1 upgraded to Jugg 2 specs.

One mistake I made was to buy the Jugg 1 Bag C which included the prop shafts. I had't realised they were changed too. I've paid more for something I don't need so now need to buy the Jugg 2 shafts.

I located 4x J parts and 1x F parts from eBay and incredibly a sticker pack, brand new for £11.60!

The remaining F, G and a couple of wheels are on the way.

Alu Dampers

Prior to buying the 53369 dampers last week I'd discovered that these could be built with TLT-1 parts. So last month I bought the bits to do that:

jugg-shock-parts.jpg

Ahhh! I hear you say, "The springs are wrong, the 53369 kit has progressivly wound springs!"

Yep, they do and you can buy them separately:

jugg-shock-springs.jpg

Annoyingly I needed 4 packs and Seidel only had 3... Nowhere else seems to have any. I'll have to use the TLT springs in one corner and make sure the truck is never photographed from that angle!

As I'm building my ultimate Jugg I'll be making some improvements. First of all some slightly better motors:

torque-tuned-motors.jpg

Then another reason for using the High-Lift body, I can fit one of these:

mfc.jpg

Ahhh! I hear you say, "The Jugg has twin motors! The MFC won't run two motors!"

I have a plan for this - using a splitter cable, split channel 2 to run to the MFC and an ESC. The ESC running the motors, the MFC making the sound. I've got an MFC in my Tundra so I tried this. It works fine using two batteries. Next step is to try it with a battery splitter and a dual motor ESC. Oh, and made sure it fits too.

More soon!

VERY VERY VERY nice!!!! Im on the look out for one of these too!!!!! Theses make great runners!!!

Painted the bumpers, grille, mirrors and wipers and also have a couple of coats of red on the body. No pics sorry as I'm out and about at the moment.

The Jugg front bumper won't fit the High-lift shell due to the bigger arches so that's that idea out. What I may do is this HL body in metallic red with different decals then a proper Jugg body as box art red with the proper decals.

Bumpers painted:

jugg-hl-bumpers-painted.jpg

Did another couple of coats on the body today:

jugg-hl-body-painted.jpg

That's three light, three wet with wet sanding in between. I'll wet sand again then it's time for clear coat.

I'll be painting the bed black so avoided spraying that area directly and wasting paint which is why it looks light.

• Like 2

very keen to see your updates and particularly this truck. are you sure about painting the truck bed black though? it seems like it would be such a large area to be just blacked out. maybe keep it red and scratch build a removable faux leather black bed cover instead? thank you for sharing your build and looking forward to future updates.

That's some fine paint work, yep the bed looks best painted black - I agree with that move.

My blue Jugg has the same, nowhere near the same paint finish though:

img7434_27072014142207_6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! Hopefully it will look even better when it's sanded again and clear coated.

100% sure on the black bed for a couple of reasons:

- It's a nice bit of contrast that breaks up the red

- It replicates a rubber bed liner on a 1:1 truck

- The body pins and screws are a more camouflaged against the black

- It's easier to touch up if the body pins scratch the paint

I've done this before on a Clod and a Bruiser and they both looked great.

Hey Truck Norris, Are you looking to sell any of those upgrades (53383, 53369)?

Hey Truck Norris, Are you looking to sell any of those upgrades (53383, 53369)?

Hi Njaudi,

No I'm keeping all these, sorry!

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2015 at 3:57 PM, Truck Norris said:

A bit overpriced, like most items from that seller, and seeing as I need only the one item from that set I'd already decided to give it a miss. Will keep looking :)

I agee with the above! But he is prepared to take an offer and his communication and postage times are brilliant .

He has even refunded some postage costs when it cost less to send than expected

sven

I found another set on eBay US in August last year so now have all four I need.

Progress stalled on this last October when I messed up the last clear coat and then the weather went cold. I'll resume at some point but enjoying doing the cars too much for now.

I've not touched this for a couple of years but recently I spotted an auction titled "Tamiya F350 body 2 sets unassembled tandoora crawler RC4WD high lift hilux SCX10 AXIAL F-350" with this pic:

jugg-bodies-auction.jpg

I clicked on the thumbnail just in case there was a one in a hundred (probably less!) chance they were Jugg not Hi-Lift bodies.

They were. Not a mention of "Juggernaut" in the listing at all, but everything looked to be Jugg.

I bidded and this week a box arrived from Japan:

jugg-2-body-set-box.jpg

jugg-2-body-sets.jpg

Everything is correct Juggernaut - small arches, moulded rear lights, no wiper holes, light chrome. light tinted windows (look dark in the photo but they are the light ones), marked 1999 not 2006. As a bonus there are some J parts and bumpers too.

I hadn't even spotted until after I'd won, that there was a sticker sheet in there too. The corner was just about visible in one of the listing pics, but again no mention at all.

jugg-2-bodies-rear-lights.jpg

Plan is to sell one with the stickers (I have another sheet) then build the other.

I'll finish the Hi-lift body at some point with the black bed and do a non-box art sticker scheme or use repros, then save my stickers for the Jugg body which will be box art.

• Like 4

OMG, what a find. MAN, I had forgotten about this build and now you just BRING IT BACK AND MAKE ME WANT A JUGG!!!!!!!

**** you. **** you to badword. **Searches eBay**

Please finish this in 2018. You've tortured us for long enough lol.