Sign in to follow this  
Peachgrower

Transmitter for Clod?

Hey guys, I have gotten to the point I can start doing some things to my Clod.

Getting dual steering servos and axle mounts. Looking at different transmitters. Can't spend a ton. Looking at the HPI TF-40. It has a 3rd channel. Does that third channel bind with the channel 1 and will work a servo along with it?? Or will I still need a Y??

I'm also looking at a Fly Sky 4 channel. It has servo reversing for all 4 channels but is a conventional...not pistol grip. I thought this might be neat due to the fact that with it having sticks I could work both steering servos independently. Would take some getting used to but might be pretty cool. Could also crab walk that way. Has anyone else done this?? Used a 4 channel and run the steering servos independent each other??

Will be adding a ubec 5amp also. Going to order the MG995's...seems like alot of you have had decent luck with them and they are CHEAP!!

Thanks for any info you can give me on this setup. Ready to get started!

I know you said cheap, but I truly feel that if you are going to be in this hobby for a while, get a good Tx. I recommend the Futaba 4PLS. This is one area in the hobby that I just don't understand why people spend all this money on vehicles and then go super cheap on the most important item, a good radio. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. You are right about that. But that isn't possible now. I have been in the hobby since I was 12....I'm 36...lol. We have had 4 Blackfoots, Team Losi truck, Midnight Pumpkin, Lunchbox, Duratrax Bug, SCX10, Wheely King, and now a Clod. I have two kids that are in it also...most of those listed are theirs...they are trying to sell their stock now to get a Clod. I have two little ones that won't be to far off. So I myself...build on the cheap to save more for them.

I'm skiptical of the SkyFly. One of my kids has the HPI controller. Its a nice one. I have no problems with it. It can be bought for $40 US with receiver.

I do respect what you said, and I agree...just not their yet.

• Like 1

I completely understand. I have never had a FlySky but there are those who swear by them and for the price, I don't really think you can go wrong. You could also look into the used market and get a decent radio at a savings.

Any thoughts on the idea using the stick radio with 4 channels for separate front and rear steering control?

May be humorous to watch anyways. lol.

Sticking relatively stock. Stock 27 turns...going DIY 4 link....maybe lift and widener. Haven't decided on that one yet.

Going with the retro look...so lift won't look right probably.

Like the thought of easily reversing rear servo and being able to tap into the additional steering if need be. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on it. Maybe best of both worlds...rear steer on tap if needed...and more stability when needed....although stock clod and stability do not go together...lol.

If you fancy a pistol grip one, you can get a Radiolink RC3S with 2 receivers for around £30 from the Far East. It has 4 channels and you can set up the extras to either go in the same or the opposite direction as channel 1.

I used to have my 4WS Twin Detonator set up on a 6-channel aircraft radio, with front steering and front motor on one stick, and rear steering and rear motor on the other. It took a bit of getting used to, but worked very well and made the truck very maneuverable.

Now I use a Spektrum DX4S, which has dedicated mixes for 4WS and MOA, making the whole process much easier. They might be a bit pricey new, but they have been on the market for long enough now to start becoming available secondhand. Might be worth keeping an eye out? They are very good!