tri_fin

Neo Fighter Buggy pinion gear help

Hi,

I am going to build a new dt-03 and use a 13.5t brushless motor. I would like to tune this buggy to the max! I read a few great threads on it but am a little confused by pinion gears.

Ideally I would like to use a Robinson Racing pinion gear, as I have used them before on my Sand Scorcher and they worked really well.

But how do I know how many teeth to choose? I am thinking about a 17t one for my motor but only because it was something I picked up in a random thread. I would like to know how you actually choose? I will be using the car for amateur racing with my kids and bashing around in fields.

Once I know how many teeth what are the correct specs of the gears in the DT03?

After reading these two threads I am really confused:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74105

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73604

Thanks!!!

Hi,

I am going to build a new dt-03 and use a 13.5t brushless motor. I would like to tune this buggy to the max! I read a few great threads on it but am a little confused by pinion gears.

Ideally I would like to use a Robinson Racing pinion gear, as I have used them before on my Sand Scorcher and they worked really well.

But how do I know how many teeth to choose? I am thinking about a 17t one for my motor but only because it was something I picked up in a random thread. I would like to know how you actually choose? I will be using the car for amateur racing with my kids and bashing around in fields.

Once I know how many teeth what are the correct specs of the gears in the DT03?

After reading these two threads I am really confused:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74105

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73604

Thanks!!!

Hi my friend when I built my DT-03 I fitted an RW Racing 32DP 17 tooth pinion. The 32DP is a close match to the 0.8 mod pinion. I haven't had any issues to date. With regards to what tooth pinion to chose the rule of thumb is the less teeth the more torque but less top speed and the opposite for the higher tooth variant less tirque/acceleration but more top end speed. The other point to consider is that with a faster motor fitted the less teeth on the pinion used the cooler the motor will run. And just to confirm the dt-03 gearbox is almost identical the the dt-02 gearbox.

The code for RW Racing pinion you're looking for is RW3200 then number of teeth.

Steve.

I too can vouch for RW Racing 32dp pinions in the DT-02/DT-03 gearbox. I use a 19 tooth one in my 27t-powered basher, and a 17 tooth one in my 17t-powered racer, and both have had many packs through them with no damage to spur or pinion.

Before settling on the 32dp RW pinions, I tried Maverick mod .8 brass pinions, but found them tight and noisy. The RW ones fit better despite being the "wrong" pitch. This is because 32dp equates to mod .78, which leaves a tiny bit of play to allow for moulding and machining inconsistencies.

With a sliding motor mount, one would set the mesh by placing a piece of paper between pinion and spur, to ensure there is a small gap between them. However on the DT-02/03 'box, the motor mounting positions are set by the screw holes moulded into the gearbox, so you cannot set the mesh using the paper method. Using a 32dp pinion ensures that the gap isn't too tight.

Of course all of this happened in the days before Tamiya made their own steel pinions in mod .8. These days the best solution would be to use Tamiya's recently-released mod .8 steel pinions, which I have been told match the spur perfectly.

• Like 1

Of course all of this happened in the days before Tamiya made their own steel pinions in mod .8. These days the best solution would be to use Tamiya's recently-released mod .8 steel pinions, which I have been told match the spur perfectly.

This is good news. I do you have any Tamiya part numbers?

Now I know Tamiya make them I can start looking.

This is good news. I do you have any Tamiya part numbers?

Here you go:

03.24.2015-13.53.png

The Tamiya mod 0.8 steel pinions were just recently announced, but haven't been released yet.

EDIT: See below. Many thanks to Nobbi :)

• Like 1

Just ordered on off eBay from StellaModels - approx £3 & £3 delivery.

Thanks for the help.