Truck Norris

Schrödinger’s Cab?

Ok, so this arrived today:

king-cab-nib.jpg

The question is, how do I know that what's sealed inside that box is what was sold to me? Do I open it up? Get it X-rayed somehow?

I've no reason to distrust the seller, but who's to say that prior to his possession, someone didn't fill a box with old parts, shrink wrap it then sell it as new? :blink:

It feels about the right weight, and the shrink wrap has scuffs which would indicate the right age. If I shake it gently I can hear the sound of the lexan so I'm fairly sure, but there's a nagging doubt that it could be any old hodge-podge of bits in there!

I guess going by Mr Schrödinger’s paradox, until it's cracked open there both is and isn't a brand new unbuilt King Cab in there! :D

• Like 5

Your totally paranoid :blink:. Have you being drinking the sheep dip again :lol:

I guess going by Mr Schrödinger’s paradox, until it's cracked open there both is and isn't a brand new unbuilt King Cab in there! :D

Can't argue with that. :)

Well, what do you intend to do with it? If you intend to keep it new-in-box, then x-rays would seem the answer. Otherwise, there are not really too many alternatives to opening that sucker up and checking the contents. If you are not keeping it sealed in the future (i.e.: building it), is the importance of keeping it wrapped for this examination to allow a return to the seller if not as advertised? If you do open it and the contents are not as advertised, then you reason for returning it in the unsealed state is justifiable; if it really matters, then shrink-wrap it again! Perhaps the cost of that may not be as significant as what you may have potentially paid for a King Cab in this condition...

And if the kit will remain in its box in your possession, here is another question: does it really matter? The Schrodinger poser is in effect, but what is to stop you from believing one state or the other? After all, it sounds like one when the box is shaken; for all intents and purposes you have a new-in-sealed-box Nissan King Cab. It is not like you will get to see the hodge-podge of bits in there, and they do not break the illusion if they do in fact comprise the contents of the box. And besides, the box from here looks to be quite fine.

I mean, I kind of have to agree with bromvw on this one, but this is the reason why I think that way. We could get into a whole philosophical debate on these thought experiments and the significance of the shrink-wrap, but I will not occupy this thread for that.

If a King Cab was my thing, I would agree to solve the paradox ;)

I have a set of x-ray specs that i could sell to you.

They're also NIB and should not be opened though...!

:lol:

If it was me, I would open it.. I even opened the factory seal on my RC10 Re-Re that I bought off eBay..

There has also been some discussion on this forum and others as to if Tamiya actually wrapped their kits in heat shrink, or if it was done at the distributor, or even hobby shop.. I know my LHS heat shrinks all of their kits themselves, irrespective of brand to deter theft from the kits out on display in the store...

Maybe you could enquire at your local hobby shop if they have the ability to heat shrink the kits, and if they would re-heat shrink yours if you so desire..

does it really matter? The Schrodinger poser is in effect, but what is to stop you from believing one state or the other?

I once watched some new-age pseudo-science film that started off with a basic introduction to quantum physics and ended with some spiritual gurus trying to tell me that I could influence the outcome of collapsing quantum waves by believing that they would collapse in my favour.

So there you go: maybe if you believe strongly enough that the box contains exactly what you want it to contain, maybe it will? :)

If it really matters, open it and then shrink wrap it again yourself. You'll have a clear conscience if you ever decide to move it on and if not, you'll know what it contains.

Unless your suggestion the shrink wrap itself has some sort of value? :blink:

Shrink wrap is a North American practice, not done in Asia. Here, once you buy the kit, the shop owner lets you go through the content of the box to make sure at least all the bags are there, and more noticable items such as body is there and not damaged, and the wheels and tires are there too.

Open it, build it, brush-paint it matt-black, crash it into the kerb then chuck the box in the bin. Dare ya. B)

• Like 1

So, curiosity got the better of me, and the 180 day PayPal claim limit was looming in case it turned out not to be what I was sold. I opened it up and this is what was inside:

king-cab-unboxed-1.jpg

Just kidding! It was really this:

king-cab-unboxed-2.jpg

Everything exactly how it should be, tyre and parts boxes still sealed etc. Good to know what I have now, and should hopefully be easier to sell on should I want to do that.

• Like 6

Shrink wrap is a North American practice, not done in Asia. Here, once you buy the kit, the shop owner lets you go through the content of the box to make sure at least all the bags are there, and more noticable items such as body is there and not damaged, and the wheels and tires are there too.

This is what I have been told in the past too, that it was a North America thing. Though bizarrely; my F103GT chassis kit was shrink wrapped and bought through a UK retailer.

Weird.

But I certainly don't think it should add any value if a kit is wrapped.

**** I want those brand new balloon pin spike tyres!!!

Nice score

Seems a shame not to build it and take it out of RC purgatory and breatheven life into it, even if it just sits on a shelf!

So, curiosity got the better of me, and the 180 day PayPal claim limit was looming in case it turned out not to be what I was sold. I opened it up and this is what was inside:

Just kidding! It was really this:

Everything exactly how it should be, tyre and parts boxes still sealed etc. Good to know what I have now, and should hopefully be easier to sell on should I want to do that.

You got me. I read the first line and looked at the picture, then sucked in a deep breath expecting a rant to follow... I scrolled down the page a little more... Doh!

**** I want those brand new balloon pin spike tyres!!!

Nice score

Seems a shame not to build it and take it out of RC purgatory and breatheven life into it, even if it just sits on a shelf!

This won't get built. I have another for that!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76279&p=592170

You got me. I read the first line and looked at the picture, then sucked in a deep breath expecting a rant to follow... I scrolled down the page a little more... Doh!

Haha! Couldn't resist, sorry! :D