OK, I just got my decals (stickers) in the post - AWESOME!!! and they are die-cut.

Thanks Simen, great work.

James.

Cool, James!

Looking forward to see the result, please upload some pics here when you have the time.

The stock bumpers aren't a perfect look for this Blazer Big Oly convertion, so as mentioned, I designed some new parts toachieve a more realistic and correct look. Not the sexiest or most exiting parts this time around, but it sure improves the overall look of the car.

The rear bumper sits to low, and to far out on the Blazing Blazer, so the first thing I did was to design some new rear bumper mounts to fix this. Not the most exiting parts, but it sure made a big difference. I received these parts earlier this summer, but haven't gotten around to posting any pics yet. I will take some photos tomorrow of the new assembly.

Still doing some final touches on the front bumper guard, so will update on this soon.

bb_bmounts_1.jpg

bb_bmounts_2.jpg

bb_bmounts_3.jpg

bb_bmounts_4.jpg

I've printed them in Stainless Steel, and they fit the metal chassis superbly IMO.
Pics of the car coming tomorrow.

• Like 1

Received the front bumper prototyp from Shapewayse today, and did some minor adjustments before ordering the finished Big oly style bumper in metal (Steel - Polished Nickel). Looking forward to getting it in about 10 days, as this will complete the Blazing Blazer Big Oly conversion. Well, I guess I'll always find more studd I can do with it, but at least phase one will e done. As usual, I will update with more pics when it's delivered and mounted - here is a preview of the part:

bb_bumper_1.jpg
​bb_bumper_2.jpg

bb_bumper_3.jpg
​bb_bumper_4.jpg

• Like 2

NO WAY! That Blazer is AWESOME!!!

How did I miss this thread! I live in Olympia, WA! The old Brewery is 1/4 mile from my home as the crow flies!

Check out my antique Oly beer stuff in my man cave

d13054c7dbd36c81db671880b14e1ec8.jpg

0ad717584a02e3c6971bc145c348e7c6.jpg

caad2014c4a46d816b84a9842c2926f6.jpg

• Like 1

I finally received the Big Oly style front bumper from Shapeways after some delays. The look is much more correct now, with the rear bumper higher and closer, and with the smaller, more accurate front metal bumper.

simensays_big_oly_12.jpg
simensays_big_oly_21.jpg

After all this work, I guess I can post the car in my showroom, but I still have some ideas for things I can do to it, like making a spare wheel mount etc, but for now, I will just enjoy displaying it and move on to other projects.

• Like 2

this is my first look at your build and it is simply awesome! Well done.

Out of interest, what program did you design the parts in?

Thanks!
I mostly use Autodesk Inventor Fusion and Cinema 4D for CAD work. As a Mac user, both Solidworks and 3D StudioMax is off the table (I don't want to run Windows vie bootcamp), but I'll be testing out Maya in the moths to come. The decals was designed from scratch in Adobe Illustrator.

Is the grille available for purchase in Shapeways, or did you just have one printed for this build? If no, any plans on offering them in Shapeways anytime soon?

Looks great!

All the parts (grill, rear bumper mounts, and front bumper) can be made available for others, if there is an interest to do this project.
Also, PrintScreenDigital - who did an excellent job in printing my decals, have them available on eBay.

I will make the parts available on my Shapeways page in the next few days.

Thanks!

I mostly use Autodesk Inventor Fusion and Cinema 4D for CAD work. As a Mac user, both Solidworks and 3D StudioMax is off the table (I don't want to run Windows vie bootcamp), but I'll be testing out Maya in the moths to come. The decals was designed from scratch in Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks for that, I too am a mac user and had been trialling RhinoCAD, but now its paid and out of my price range. I just checked out Autodesk and see they have a hobbyist version, so I will check that out. I too have illustrator for the mac, so thats already covered :)

Have you tried Oracle's Openbox, I use that to run XP Windows in a virtual environment so I can generate g-code for my cnc machine. It runs really well.

Thanks, Blake! I wish you'd popped by this thread earlier - you would be the go-to-man for some scans of the Olympia logo :D I had a hard time finding good pictures to work from, when making the decals.

Yogi-bear, I rather drink paint than run Windows on my Macs, I was forced to do so on one of them (run Windows, not drink paint - and used Bootcamp for this with no problemsI in order to get some RC multirotor software working. That is history now though :D
I am a Art Director and Designer by trade, so luckily I have access to the tools for this kind of work. You should be able to find some free CAD software out there though, should be plenty to choose from, well, a few. Especially if you plan on doing models for printing, as you don't need the rendering modules etc.

• Like 1

Simen,

Your skills are exemplary my friend. The time and dedication required to do this level of art is incredible.

Thankyou for sharing not only your awesome vehicle - but also your hard work by making them available for others. You are a great example of the Tamiyaclub spirit!

Cheers,

Darryn

Thank you for those words, Darryn :)
One thing I've learned over the past 15 years of restoring vintage Tamiyas, is not to rush my work. This Blazing Blazer was one of the first ones I ever restored back then, and even though I didn't rush it at the time, I certainly picked up a few tricks & techniques along the way, much thanks to many of the members here on TC, and a growing desire to get the models I restore. the way I can appreciate them best.

All the parts (grill, rear bumper mounts, and front bumper) can be made available for others, if there is an interest to do this project.

Also, PrintScreenDigital - who did an excellent job in printing my decals, have them available on eBay.

I will make the parts available on my Shapeways page in the next few days.

I've got the decal and they grille would be awesome! Thanks so much!

I need to make the spare wheel mount to complete this project, and I'm looking for one wheel half, the deep/outer wheel dish.
So if anybody has one spare for sale, please let me know!

Thanks!

Really amazing work..I'd definitely be interested in a set of the custom parts you made if you decide to make them available...I am going to try to build one of these with an unfinished Blazer.

I've gone to this link: http://www.shapeways.com/designer/simensays

but the items are shown as not for sale...

A freind of mine made this HO scale car for me:

DSC01033.JPG

DSC01034.JPG

HO scale car is like 1/64 size

so you can see I need to build one

awesome job, really admire the craftmanship

That is tiny! Very cool!

I will make the parts available asap (stated the process as you see), but wanted to do some small adjustments to the grill first - trimming away some excess material, to make the part cheaper, as prices on SW are high enough from the get go. I'll hopefully get the time to finish this very soon, but need to do a test print to ensure it's all good.

The parts are now available on my Shapeways page.

Thanks,but it's hard to tell really by the picture, To me that looks like a Hilux 4x4 wheel, with both alu wheel dishes at equal depth (height when flat on a table). The inner plastic wheel fillers confirms this thought, as they was never used on the Blazer wheels. Both the Blazer and the Hilux use the same inner dish wheel, but the outer ones on the Blazer are deeper, to accommodate for the wider tires the Blazer uses (shared only with the Wild Willy).

I have decided to put the spare wheel on a hold for now, as it looks too bulky when placed on the flat rear bed, opposed to have it sunki into the actual bed. I do not want to start cutting the BB body to achieve this, aa the radio box would need to go and so on.

I think you're right, likely a hi ilux wheel as that's the parts storage it was in..but I wasnt sure if this was the deep one or not.