fullspectrum

Tamiya's...Made in Japan?

Hey guys..Im just wondering...are Tamiya's made in Japan still? And if so which kits are and which arent? My Re-re Bullhead box says "made in Japan" but I'm assuming that doest mean all of the parts. Any insight here?

Recently my kits have stated Made in Japan (DF03MS, Leonis and Egress 2013). But a few of my reres, says Made in the Philippines, (FAV 2011, Wildone, Novafox).

Hey guys..Im just wondering...are Tamiya's made in Japan still? And if so which kits are and which arent? My Re-re Bullhead box says "made in Japan" but I'm assuming that doest mean all of the parts. Any insight here?

normally, the kit is indeed Made in Japan, Only the body set is made in Philippine

Recently my kits have stated Made in Japan (DF03MS, Leonis and Egress 2013). But a few of my reres, says Made in the Philippines, (FAV 2011, Wildone, Novafox).

Interesting...so it says right on the box "made in the phillipines"? Like I said my re-re Bullhead says "made in Japan" on the box. Makes me wonder how many Re-re's are Japanese made and which arent. My re-re Hotshot says nothing on the box regarding where its made. Anyone else chime in with any other kits?

My Land Cruiser cc01 58445 says 'made in japan', ill check others tomorrow...

Cheap Kits like TT-01, TT-02, M Chassie Series, Grasshopper come from Phillipines. The Big and "expensive" Kits like Sand Scorcher, Egress, Bruiser, Fighting Buggy or the TRF Series are Made in Japan.

Does it matter where kits are made? They're all Tamiya kits.

Dorvack.

No.. I suppose it doesn't. I just have a fetish for stuff from Japan.(Including the the women :D )

I have some electric guitars and I prefer Japanese made ones. One company Charvel had USA made guitars and Japanese made ones. The USA made were supposed to be better but I found the Japanese made guitars were of a higher quality. Fender Japan makes wicked stuff too.

I know plastic injection is different than guitars but I think Japanese made stuff is amazing...especially their domestic market stuff. (They like to keep the best stuff for themselves). <_<

• Like 2

I think it does matter actually. While the company name on the box is the same, what country a product is actually made in can make a difference. Local laws and culture are just two major factors that can impact the working environment at a manufacturing and assembly plant. I'm not saying that Japanese > Philippino workers, just that there could be a difference, however slight.

From years and years of personal experience in the automotive industry when a car was built in the companies home country, they tended to be built better. R/C cars could be the same way, no? [shrug]

• Like 3

Made in the Phillipines can only mean lower labourcosts, which most likely leads to worse working conditions for the employees.

I don't know if this is the case, but if it is anywhere near the conditions in China, I would gladly pay more to have it made in Japan.

• Like 2

Thundershot and Fire Dragon re-re's are made in Japan

• Like 1

Made in the Phillipines can only mean lower labourcosts,

I suppose in order to compete with everyone and keep prices down they have no choice but to source cheaper labour.

I suppose in order to compete with everyone and keep prices down they have no choice but to source cheaper labour.

You are absolutely right, they have no choice, but anyway I don't like it. Especially when it seems it is only the cheap kits. I guess most of the guys in this hobby wouldn't mind paying 20% more for a 100€ kit, if it was guaranteed to be produced under fair circumstances.

• Like 2

Looked at my the recent version of the Super Clodbuster and it's made in Japan. Anyone know if the Frog Re-re is made in Japan? My new Hotshot says nothing on the box so Im gusssing it Phillipines.

Looked at my the recent version of the Super Clodbuster and it's made in Japan. Anyone know if the Frog Re-re is made in Japan? My new Hotshot says nothing on the box so Im gusssing it Phillipines.

I'll check my Frog box when I get home tonight.

I'll check my Frog box when I get home tonight.

OK, I'm home now. Both the Frog and the Grasshopper are made in the Philippines. Incidentially I bought the Grasshopper from Hobby One Japan and I bought the Frog from Liquid RC in New Hampshire.

• Like 1

No.. I suppose it doesn't. I just have a fetish for stuff from Japan.(Including the the women :D )

I have some electric guitars and I prefer Japanese made ones. One company Charvel had USA made guitars and Japanese made ones. The USA made were supposed to be better but I found the Japanese made guitars were of a higher quality. Fender Japan makes wicked stuff too.

I know plastic injection is different than guitars but I think Japanese made stuff is amazing...especially their domestic market stuff. (They like to keep the best stuff for themselves). <_<

I don't really know for sure, but I noticed a change in the plastics -remnants in the sprues in non-Japanese Tamiya trees are more and more common. It's not really something that might turn anybody off from the new kits, but I think it's there.

Other than that, like you I have a feeling for Japanese things. You just have to love the early American Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars, but the Japanese acoustic copies (often called "lawsuit") guitars from the late 60's up to the early 80's are absolutely sweet. Or even the vinyl records. Get the same LP record release from, say, Germany, United States and Japan, and the difference will definitely be noticeable if you have some half serious stereo system. The Japanese records are better sounding, and not only that, the extras and the quality of the covers are truly outstanding.

And taking this back to RC, you just have to sit and compare a Traxxas side by side to even the humblest Tamiya kit to notice there is a difference indeed.

It's hard to compete against Japanese industrial standards and ethics no matter how you look at it.

• Like 4

I wonder how Tamiya kits would be if they were made in Germany...maybe indestructible? :)

I wonder how Tamiya kits would be if they were made in Germany...maybe indestructible? :)

Expensive

• Like 1

I looked at the Desert Gator box this morning and it's made in the Philippines.

I looked at the Desert Gator box this morning and it's made in the Philippines.

Cool...thanks for the update. Looks like all the more expensive kits are MIJ. The Super Hotshot is kinda pricey but I'm guessing its Phillipines.

Funny the Super Clodbuster and Bullhead are MIJ..wonder why those arent MIP?

I pretty much have everything I want for now. Just waiting to see what other goodies are released in May... :)

Of my recent builds, M-06 RX7 - Philippines, XV-01 Subaru WRX and Pajero Sport - Japan. Not sure about my Mountain Rider, as the way I have the box on display covers that part, but I would assume Japan.

Just went through my boxes:

Made in Japan:

Leonis

DF03MS

XV01 - Lancia Delta

Egress 2013

Novafox

Made in Philliphines:

Super Hotshot

Lunch Box blue edition

Lunch Box black edition

FAV 2011