XV Pilot

Mf-01x - suzuki jimny, mercedes g-wagen & others

I have been looking at buying the parts to build one of these. Banzai has all that I would need bar three items. Stock length propshaft, motor plate and dog bones.

They have the short and long propshafts at just over a quid each so I can get around that. The motor plate I can make but I cannot find anyway to get the dog bones cheap. I think they are the same as the M0 range but no short part number = no find.

That parts I need including Tamiya bearing kit came to about £50 posted. No wheels or shell but I have other plans. No shocks but I have a stock of CVA's

Man, some of you guys must really like the chase. The kit all in is at my lhs for $160 CDN. Surely buying each part separately must cost more.

Man, some of you guys must really like the chase. The kit all in is at my lhs for $160 CDN. Surely buying each part separately must cost more.

Depends. If you are going to hop-it up then you bin loads of bits, shocks, motor, wheels and maybe the shell.

The kit is about £100 here but enough parts to get where I need to be is about £50. I could get a kit and sell on the unused bits but where is the fun in that :)

More goodies at Banzai, alloy motormount/servomount and carbon rear dampermount

Anyone fiited porsche 959 body on this chassis? i really fancy this chassis and put reproduction 959 body on it.

Anyone fiited porsche 959 body on this chassis? i really fancy this chassis and put reproduction 959 body on it.

Not yet. My parts are winging their way from Japan as we speak.

I plan to try a few shells and am guessing Tamiya will release the full kit about 2 days after I finish for about half what it cost me........

Finally I can join the MF-01X Owners Club! I unwrapped my birthday presents today, which included a Jimny kit from my wonderful wife, along with all the gubbins required to build it. Yay!!

Plans are for a practical runner build, with locked rear diff, slowed front diff, fully submersible electronics and a black-n-bling colour scheme. Build thread coming soon! :)

• Like 1

Finally I can join the MF-01X Owners Club! I unwrapped my birthday presents today, which included a Jimny kit from my wonderful wife, along with all the gubbins required to build it. Yay!!

Plans are for a practical runner build, with locked rear diff, slowed front diff, fully submersible electronics and a black-n-bling colour scheme. Build thread coming soon! :)

Cool I am liking mine!

I suggest you do this it works great!

And be sure to punch 2 holes in the tires tread opposite of each other ... I had to do this after I learned that stock they filled up with dirt and sand like 1/4 the way and it would not come out!

• Like 1

Had a little wheel swap around today and struck on an idea...

DSC_0062.jpg

Not Sand Blaster tyres exactly, but something with a similar 83mm diameter and rim size. The latter being something I've never been happy with on my Jimny. Unfortunately it means begrudgingly spending more money, but hopefully it will live up to my expectations!

Anyone how got the jimny and the vw campervan wheeli ? Just wondering how that body would look on this chassis?

just ordered myself these too =

1 x 54659 MF-01X Carbon Damper Stay (Rear) GBP 6.20

1 x 54658 MF-01X Aluminum Servo Mount GBP 8.09

1 x 54660 MF-01X Aluminum Motor Mount GBP 7.52

B) should be with me in time with my servo so I can carry on the build.......

cheers for the heads up on the above parts lee & folks.

kenny

I got the parts today in the post ! they look great but I am away for a week now :(

hence I will carry on with the build when I get back,,,,, sods laws.

I finished my Jimny last night, and took some photos of it this morning:

DSC05232_zpsj5mgf1uk.jpg

DSC05228_zpsdvq520em.jpg

DSC05231_zps0cpiftxa.jpg

The build is mostly stock apart from the "Big 3" mods needed by most Tamiyas - bearings, steel pinion and oil shocks. I also sorted out three of the most common issues identified in other builds:

The wobbly rear body mounts were sorted using a brace from a TL-01:

DSC05237_zpsdwfufsnf.jpg

The asymmetrical rear suspension droop was sorted by moving the right outer camber link attachment forwards so the link doesn't foul the propshaft gear cover:

DSC05240_zpszvm0ngxs.jpg

The slight play in the rear upright extensions was sorted using some short threaded rods in the second pair of attachment holes:

DSC05238_zps4wh4wgsk.jpg

All three mods were achieved using common Tamiya parts with no special tools or modifications to the kit plastics. This is good in that other hobbyists can easily perform similar mods if they want to, at no great expense and with no worries about irreversibility. However it is perhaps slightly disappointing that Tamiya didn't elect to sort out the issues themselves before shipping the kits. I can't imagine it would have taken any real effort or expense on their part to do so - all the parts required are already in their inventory.

Anyway, should you wish to read more about the build, I did a thread on it here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77527

• Like 5

Thanks XVpilot good east mods and does make you wonder why not done by tamiya to. Looks very mean in black to!

• Like 1

Great build XV, I agree the black looks good, especially with those wheels. Are the threaded rods cut down from a longer part or are they a standard tamiya item?

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

two thumbs up it Looks good in black with those wheels.

Reason why I went with grinding a hair off the chassis by the tie rod is because with the ball so far out now from the A arm like how you have it now will put much more stress in the hole it threads into and I was afraid it would open the whole and rip out especially after how I bashed mine I my videos.

also stiffening the body post may stop the flex and may make it bend in a spot it was not meant to and may cause something to break in another area... you will have to test it but then if you are not beating on it and just riding around you should not have a problem.

• Like 1

Great build XV, I agree the black looks good, especially with those wheels. Are the threaded rods cut down from a longer part or are they a standard tamiya item?

Thanks

Rob

Cheers! :)

They are a standard Tamiya item - I think they are sold as 10mm M3 socket set screws, or somesuch. I don't know the part number I'm afraid - mine were left over from a repurposed turnbuckle pack if I remember correctly.

two thumbs up it Looks good in black with those wheels.

Reason why I went with grinding a hair off the chassis by the tie rod is because with the ball so far out now from the A arm like how you have it now will put much more stress in the hole it threads into and I was afraid it would open the whole and rip out especially after how I bashed mine I my videos.

also stiffening the body post may stop the flex and may make it bend in a spot it was not meant to and may cause something to break in another area... you will have to test it but then if you are not beating on it and just riding around you should not have a problem.

Thanks!

I hear what you are saying about the extended balls placing stress on the parts when bashing. However both the M-03 and WR-01/WT-01 models use them at the outer ends of their steering tierods, where they are subject to far more stress than they are in this application, and those models survive quite nicely even when bashed heavily. I think they'll be fine here.

I also get your point about stiffening the rear body mounts possibly leading to trouble elsewhere. That is one of the reasons I went for this approach, rather than fitting a 3Racing carbon and alloy brace. The TL-01 brace reduces flex but does not lock it out completely, still allowing the posts to bend a bit so as to absorb shocks in a collision. It worked well on my wife's heavily-bashed Stadium Raider, so should work well here too. Time will tell! :)

Awesome.

Should have a TC get together and race these through an off-road course!

Sounds like a plan! Although I have always rather fancied the idea of an expedition style event, kinda like a Camel Trophy in miniature, with elements of Top Gear Special thrown in. Would anyone be up for such a thing do you think?

Does that include for one of us to punch an organiser if we can't get a warm lunch?

Yea sounds like a laugh! The challenge will be in the organisation though, and a suitable venue not too far away for everyone.

An idea MANY of us would be considering....

Not yet. My parts are winging their way from Japan as we speak.

I plan to try a few shells and am guessing Tamiya will release the full kit about 2 days after I finish for about half what it cost me........

I've turned purple and expired from holding my breath...... any updates???? Anybody??? Surely someone has ditched the Jimny body (temporarily or otherwise) and tried some different shells...... need direction! No MF01X coming my way in the foreseeable future, but want to be prepared....

Alex