XV Pilot

Mf-01x - suzuki jimny, mercedes g-wagen & others

So I did something maybe slightly controversial in terms of modding my Jimny. I maintain the mantra that "if it looks stupid, but works, it's not stupid"!

So these 85mm dampers originally found their way onto my WT01 truck, but instantly they were identified as being way too soft - even on their stiffest setting. Being the recycling type I thought that there must have been a lower mass rc in my fleet which would benefit from some spongey oil dampers for a bit of off roading.

Ah, you're thinking, but you'll never fit 85mm dampers to an MF01X! Well this is where it gets controversial. Take a look for yourselves...

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

well XVpilot

looking to run on sand and short grass just of the local beachers

mr fog

Hi I ran in some grass and a ball field. But I don't see this running in deep sand unless you can get little paddle tires maybe for it I think it will just sink maybe even with paddle tires because they are not wide at all and won't help it float on the sand.

There is a video in this very thread where it's crawling through a stream with water halfway up the doors. I feel confident in saying that it'll handle sand and grass.

depends if he wants to run in the normal beach sand I don't think it will go good but if he is going to drive near the water line then it will be ok I think.

hi shenlonc

well looking to fun it on sand that's at the back of the dunes where the grass is very short and the sand is mixed with the soil . I do know that it wouldnt handel the beach.

mr fog

hi shenlonc

well looking to fun it on sand that's at the back of the dunes where the grass is very short and the sand is mixed with the soil . I do know that it wouldnt handel the beach.

mr fog

That depends if you can very easy push your hand down in it deep then I would say no it wont work good... you would need something with bigger wider tires for loose sand that's grainy and deep.

So I started my second MF01 build today out of gathered parts...and failed at step 5. I neglected to order any gear shafts.

I now intend to buy some 5mm carbon rod and make my own.

I also painted up a Silvia S13 shell but decided that I don't like it so much any more :(

On the lookout for a second body now, might wait for the upcoming MX5 new release - but I'm certain I don't have the patience!

I've been rather quiet about mine, that I received from my inlaws for my birthday in August, because I had a plan for a wheel/tyre combo, but even though I already had the rims, the tyres could only be located in the UK, and made a 3 way trip before I could get my hands on them (part of my address fell off in transit and they were sent back by Aus Customs).

RC4WD Dirtgrabbers in 1.55" size. Just a slight smear larger than the Rally Blocks, but the rim is close as perfect size to the stock 15" wheels the Jimny comes with. And 5 lug too... I needs me the right number of nuts yo....

P9250129_zpsb9cgs7lj.jpg

P9250131_zps0qmv0hzz.jpg

P9250130_zpsmmjbf8q1.jpg

I'll lust need to lip the overfenders to eliminate scrub. Oh, and I have the body levelled on the highest position the front posts allow.

• Like 1

That looks like proper scale more realistic wheel/tyre are the wheels RC 4wd to?

• Like 1

That looks like proper scale more realistic wheel/tyre are the wheels RC 4wd to?

The wheels are... but have since been discontinued :( I knew they have been re jigged into beadlocks since I got those, but just went to get to the part number and they've gone.

http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=260

Anyone ever used any of these?

Nope, but, Everything of Chris's I've bought has been top notch. Just mind the offset. My rims have no hex, they sit on the cross pin directly. That's how I have dish but not much pokage. Those slotters look mad, though.

Speaking of, I finally got all the old tyres off those rims and yeah, I think I can say I did good.

P9250133_zpsgyunpfce.jpg

The wheels are... but have since been discontinued :( I knew they have been re jigged into beadlocks since I got those, but just went to get to the part number and they've gone.

I see doh, the tyres are hard to come by to and pricy! Do they work with any 1.55" rim normal and beadlocks?

Will these be right offset 8mm negative?

http://store.rc4wd.com/155-Landies-Vintage-Stamped-Steel-Beadlock-Wheels-White_p_1431.html

I see doh, the tyres are hard to come by to and pricy! Do they work with any 1.55" rim normal and beadlocks?

Will these be right offset 8mm negative?

http://store.rc4wd.com/155-Landies-Vintage-Stamped-Steel-Beadlock-Wheels-White_p_1431.html

To be honest, I can't remember the actual figure for the offset, but the back spacing on the little Landies looks about right, maybe even a touch more inset. Would be fine!

And yeah, the little Grabbers... Been out of stock for so long, I ended up paying around $100 AUD for all four from the only place I could find with stock, rc-bitz on ebay because... I had decided it needed them lol. Probably worth checking to see if they have more...

And I tried, but the .05" extra bead size makes them a slightly sloppy fit on M chassis rims. I normally would not put weighty wheels on a high geared, independent chassis, but TL gears will cope :)

To be honest, I can't remember the actual figure for the offset, but the back spacing on the little Landies looks about right, maybe even a touch more inset. Would be fine!

And yeah, the little Grabbers... Been out of stock for so long, I ended up paying around $100 AUD for all four from the only place I could find with stock, rc-bitz on ebay because... I had decided it needed them lol. Probably worth checking to see if they have more...

And I tried, but the .05" extra bead size makes them a slightly sloppy fit on M chassis rims. I normally would not put weighty wheels on a high geared, independent chassis, but TL gears will cope :)

Thanks will decide if worth risk lol, stock rims look like a pimped up boy racer car! Lol

Yea it was rc bitz I saw on got black, white and raw silver plus the tyres but not cheap!

I agree, the Golf rims were not a good idea... hence my extremes to deep 6 them lol I mean, it's neigh on PERFECT 1/10th in the body dimensions yet they were so lazy with wheels. Don't make much sense.

I agree, the Golf rims were not a good idea... hence my extremes to deep 6 them lol I mean, it's neigh on PERFECT 1/10th in the body dimensions yet they were so lazy with wheels. Don't make much sense.

lol come now, that's very Tamiya.

• Like 1

lol come now, that's very Tamiya.

Haha, too true, too true. I thought at least they'd of recycled the white Mu rims or the Toyota Pre Runner ones. .... or M Chassis rims with Rough Rider front tyres all around...

Screw it, I (or any of us) could of done a better job let loose in Tamiya's parts bins :P

Just a little update on my MF01'D' project which still hasn't got its' own thread.

I've been really struggling with finding a suitable drift tyre for the M-chassis and my search has cost me two sets of tyres already - all have been super small in diameter!

Tamiya 54374 Drift Tyre for M-Chassis - diameter 53.1mm

Spice RC Mini Drift Tyre (Soft) - diameter 53.7mm

It may not sound like much, but when you consider that the Tamiya bodies are designed (in the main) for 60mm diameter tyres the above both look very...odd!

It's cost me money now and no doubt I'll find a use for these tyres, but I think my search has just ended - HPI MX60 T-Drift Mini - as the name suggests, has a 60mm outside diameter and so won't look like a rollerskate wheel!

In other news, my rear gearbox is assembled, I've decided to go 'brushed' as I didn't have a sensored motor and I'm trying to keep costs down (LOL), so Tamiya 23T type TZ it is.

As ever, waiting on more parts...

You may already know this but you're gonna need the MX60 wheels for those tires. They don't fit Tamiya's m chassis wheels.