XV Pilot

Mf-01x - suzuki jimny, mercedes g-wagen & others

Well, I tried my Fiat 500 shell one there briefly, and can confirm that the track, wheelbase and body post positions all match up nicely. However since the Fiat 500 shell already has a rather nice M-05 chassis to occupy, it didn't stay long.

I am hoping Tamiya themselves will release some appropriate alternative bodyshells soon, depicting other small offroaders and rally cars. I must hope they choose small cars too depict in 1/10 scale rather than bigger ones to depict in 1/12, so that they fit in with the rest of their 1/10 range.

I have a bodyshell sat here and I'm still waiting on a few more deliveries yet before I can start the build. I'm worried about the rear overhang - although I don't believe it to be any worse than it is on the M-06 chassis, but some earlier bodyshells are quite short in this area.

Hopefully all the bits will be here next week and I can start my MF-01D project...

Has anyone else seen this?

Concealed electronics within the chassis spacer sections!

I might try something similar but it would be just my luck that the receiver would need re-binding and that would mean dismantling the chassis!!

• Like 1

Looks good, I like the shocks on it as well, can't quite read what they are though.

If you mount them inside the spacer section, could you drill a small hole through the top above the receiver so you could poke a small screwdriver tip through to rebind if needed?

I think someone else did this with an M03 mini during a rally conversion a while back.

dscf0101.jpg

that looks like a great idea... since you need to drill holes in the chassis anyhow because when I ran mine in the ball field the chassis got lots of sand trapped inside.

Well I took mine apart to put the electronics inside the chassis DON'T try it!

I have small flysky 2.4 receiver and a pretty small ESC and there is no way you can fit electronics inside the chassis...

This guy must have ground out the insides and used like that plastic liquid solvent cement to glue the halves together instead of screwing them together because there is no way you can fit electronics inside enless you do like I said and that will weaken the chassis but I guess for show it won't matter.

I suppose you could also do it by discarding the RX and ESC cases. Not that I'd want to - I am quite happy with my easily-accessed externally mounted electronics.

I think the only reason I'd consider trying this would be to fit a shell with less headroom, ie 959, where space may be an issue.

I wouldn't want to lose the hard case on the rx though - I did this for racing my optima mid & pro-cat BITD without any performance issues, but then they only ran in the damp where this is likely to be driven in wetter conditions.

I'll have a stab at it with the long wheelbase one I'm building. A bit of dremel'ing never did any harm!

Another thing I want to experiment with is putting the steering knuckles on the back, if I can find a way to mount the servo and clear the dampers...

look at the video 57 @ seconds at the end you can see it looks like he notched the top of the chassis and set the ESC in you can still see it out of the top of the chassis.

Well the hop ups came last week but due to work & family I could only carry on with the build this week.

I need to get a few parts to make the rear upper arm bar on the top suspension to come out more & level, like a few folks have done on here.

hence if anyone can send me some part numbers etc or tips that would be great.

also I need to sort out a few little things to make it more tidy. & I need to get some spray for the body what I have never done,,,, so fingers & toes crossed I can spray it ok ! however I would like to spray it in a midnight purple colour like the great Nissan skyline gtr's but I need to find some where what stocks it hint hint.

thanks kenny

getting_there.jpg

getting_there_2.jpg

getting_there3.jpg

getting_there_4.jpg

getting_there_5.jpg

getting_there_6.jpg

getting_there_7.jpg

getting_there_8.jpg

Looks good.

I'm more tempted by the Yeah Racing rear damper mount because it offers adjustment, the Tamiya one just seems to be there for rigidity rather than having different mounting hole options.

Tamiya Metallic Purple PS-18 is nice but quite a light shade compared to Nissan Midnight Purple. You could experiment by backing with black though?

Best source for paint I found (as recommended by someone on this forum) -

http://www.rossmod.co.uk/rc-cars/body-shop/body-paint-lexan/tamiya-ps-18-metallic-purple-86018.html

• Like 1

9805825 is the part number of the long ball connectors I used to bring the outer ends of the rear camber links forwards on my Jimny. They come in packs of 5.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words & part numbers as I can go order some of them now.

I have all most finished the build just a few things to mod to make this model a bit better like some of you lot have done all ready.

also I have added some drift discs & they look the part me thinks, I got them cheap along with a intercooler & exhaust tip etc etc.

however only thing I am a bit worried about now is the spraying of the body shell as I have not done that before !

hence I am going to cut the body out right later this weekend & get some nice spray on order so I can finish that part off asap but the best I can.

well here are some photos.

jimny.jpg

jimny_2.jpg

jimny_3.jpg

jimny_4.jpg

Looks good!

it's simple to spray the body just get the window masks on good and press them down around the edges with your finger nail right before you spray paint.

spraying is easy I use boxing tape and tape a long rod or something to the body top so I can hold the rod and the body will be like 2ft from my hand so you won't get spray paint on your hand.

do a light thin first coat and then put on a couple more after the paint dries in-between coats ( not so long paint drys pretty fast)

good thing with painting lexan clear bodies you can mess up and have drips you don't really see it it's the hard bodies you paint on the outside you have to be carful with.

Thank you for the kind words & part numbers as I can go order some of them now.

I have all most finished the build just a few things to mod to make this model a bit better like some of you lot have done all ready.

also I have added some drift discs & they look the part me thinks, I got them cheap along with a intercooler & exhaust tip etc etc.

however only thing I am a bit worried about now is the spraying of the body shell as I have not done that before !

hence I am going to cut the body out right later this weekend & get some nice spray on order so I can finish that part off asap but the best I can.

well here are some photos.

jimny.jpg

jimny_2.jpg

jimny_3.jpg

jimny_4.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good!

it's simple to spray the body just get the window masks on good and press them down around the edges with your finger nail right before you spray paint.

spraying is easy I use boxing tape and tape a long rod or something to the body top so I can hold the rod and the body will be like 2ft from my hand so you won't get spray paint on your hand.

do a light thin first coat and then put on a couple more after the paint dries in-between coats ( not so long paint drys pretty fast)

good thing with painting lexan clear bodies you can mess up and have drips you don't really see it it's the hard bodies you paint on the outside you have to be carful with.

c1c353fa7987b496bce544e5ccf1f835.jpg

Bits arrived for my parts build special. One issue, I ordered all the hop up parts about a week after this so need to wait to start

I'm in the same boat!

Been messing with Jimny today, fitted a set of 95mm dampers as didn't like the short travel afforded by the standard chassis. Fitting of them is by no means a professional job, but it works and that's all that matters!

I'll get some pictures in the morning.

• Like 1

so whats the jimny like to run.

Will it go off road like a sand scorcher or more of a sedate type of offroad

mr fog

so whats the jimny like to run.

Will it go off road like a sand scorcher or more of a sedate type of offroad

mr fog

see my videos on youtube.

shenlonco youtube name

It goes real good after getting oil shocks and using Tamiya antiwear grease inside the diffs.

hi shenlonco

thanks mate.

I take it you are well happy with it

Hi yes I am it's a really fun truck to run,

I have to admit when I was building it I was disappointed a bit and thought it would not be any good but after a couple tweeks I really like it a lot a fun little bugg'er to run!

cool, thinking about getting one

What sort of intended use do you have in mind? Let us know and we should be able to upload some video of it doing whatever that may be, or direct you to some videos that have already been uploaded, then you can see for yourself. :)