XV Pilot

Mf-01x - suzuki jimny, mercedes g-wagen & others

Handling is pretty neutral - less understeer than the M-05 and a lot less oversteer than the M-06.

Acceleration is similar to the M-05, with the disadvantages of extra weight and drivetrain friction being offset by the 4WD's ability to get more power down before wheelspin kicks in. The M-06 will usually out-accelerate it though unless surface grip is very low.

Top speed is the lowest of the three due to the extra drivetrain friction.

That said, the handling advantages may make it quicker around the track, especially on tight and technical layouts.

If you build and race one, let us know how you get on!

I'd say weight both overall and distribution wise will be an issue too, all the motor weight is quite far back and the COG can't be that low. As XV says the extra drivetrain losses will eat batteries faster and combined with the added weight it probably won't be as quick as an equivalent M05 running the same electronics imo.

The advantage is likely to be in acceleration and braking so shorter twistier tracks would benefit the chassis I think. M05s can really fly on longer straights and will of course be lighter on their tyres over the course of a lap.

Obviously you'll have a load more grip being generated but it's whether or not you can capitalise on that and use it to your advantage over the established fwd chassis'. Realistically I think it would be slower 90% of the time.

You could always get crafty with a watering can and make a section of the track incredibly wet?!! Although if a carpet track I don't think the organisers would be massively impressed...

as I stated in an earlier post, the MF-01X can be geared with a 24t pinion where as the M05/M06 are limited to 20t.. Unless you use the ride cheater gears.

So it definitely can have higher top end than its 2wd sisters.

• Like 1

That may be the case, but longer gearing wouldn't be the best tactic in a chassis where acceleration and braking are the strong points! It may be faster outright but around a track?... You're going to need all the help you can get to chase those little fwd machines.

An MF-01X is much heavier, however the 24t paired with a 21.5 or even Silvercan will not turn it into a slouch by any means. I was very impressed with how hard it accelerated using an RS540SH

I also race my M06 in a field of M05s. The reason the M06 is quicker off the line is because it can put the power down better. The M05s are slower off the line because the 21.5 motors have a lot of torque and as a result you will have wheel spin. A 4wd car will not have those problems and since these motors have so much torque you can gear up and still be very competitive on the infield. That's why I'm able to gear my TOP Sabre Mini 4WD to the moon ( fdr 3.15!!) and lap M05s, all over the track. The motor doesn't even get hot.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on your club rules regarding gearing. Our club restricted everyone in Mini class to stock spurs (no "Speed Tuned" or "Cheater" gears) and 20t pinions (with a special exception for M-04 users who could run 21t).

If the rules allow you to use the wider gearing options of the MF-01, this would certainly be to its advantage.

Our club rules are any front wheel drive M-chassis, so M01, M03 and M05 are the only ones eligible... We have restrictions on ESC, motor, certain hop-ups etc to try and keep it as close and accessible to everyone as possible...

• Like 1

Thanks for your inputs XV, Raman and Chris! I went ahead and took the plunge. Any other hopups needed aside from the ones I already got? The LHS didn't have any M03 universals in stock so I wasn't able to get those. They also didn't have the MF-01X bearing set, will I have any problems using regular 850 bearings? I'm hoping I can use 5mm shims to make them work.

Will start the build tonight, hopefully I can have it ready for the race on Saturday. I'll also bring my M05 V2 and compare lap times between the two.

image_8.jpeg

I personally can't fathom why they are flanged and can't see why regular 850s wouldn't work just fine on the propshaft.

I look forward to reading about your findings!

I personally can't fathom why they are flanged and can't see why regular 850s wouldn't work just fine on the propshaft.

I look forward to reading about your findings!

I cannot remember now. I will look through my build photos

I have two sets of universals going cheap if you needed them. I put longer arms on mine so built them but they never got ran

Finished the build today. Such a fun car to build! I will probably replace the uprights with M05Ra black parts, and replace the front uprights with aluminum ones since the stock parts break easily based from my experience racing the M03 and M05. Great car, but the sad part is, with all the hopups I purchased, this car is already as expensive as a TB-04R! I'll be racing this in our local Tamiya Cup so only Tamiya hopups are allowed.

image_9.jpeg

• Like 2

While quality and fit are great, Tamiya hop-ups are not renowned for their affordability. :)

And I agree it would look much nicer with black plastics in place of the red ones. When I built mine, I replaced them at the outset.

Please let us know how you get on with racing it!

I took the MF-01X to the track this weekend, but decided not to race it because it was a handful to drive and I didn't have time to set it up properly (I was also running in the touring car class). This chassis requires some skill to drive. It likes to swing the back end out, followed by a flip if you have too much grip. This was with both 60D S-grip tires and Sweep tires. There were two other MF-01X racing against a field of M05s, and those two MF-01s were also experiencing the same thing. The other guy running the MF-01 managed to finish first in one of the heats, so the car does have potential in the right hands. He said he had to dial down the dual rate to 70% and he couldn't lift the throttle on turns.

He said he had to dial down the dual rate to 70% and he couldn't lift the throttle on turns.

That sounds very similar to how my M06 drives. I had to put an ESC in it with drag brake to assist me in the turns which helped massively - otherwise it just swapped ends any time I used the brakes.

Challenging but in my hands I will never be as fast as I am with my M05...

I took the MF-01X to the track this weekend, but decided not to race it because it was a handful to drive and I didn't have time to set it up properly (I was also running in the touring car class). This chassis requires some skill to drive. It likes to swing the back end out, followed by a flip if you have too much grip. This was with both 60D S-grip tires and Sweep tires. There were two other MF-01X racing against a field of M05s, and those two MF-01s were also experiencing the same thing. The other guy running the MF-01 managed to finish first in one of the heats, so the car does have potential in the right hands. He said he had to dial down the dual rate to 70% and he couldn't lift the throttle on turns.

Was this on carpet?

I raced my M06 on Carpet for the first time a month ago.. I arrived late so did not have time to even practice.. First heat I had way too much steering and kept using the wrong dial for dual rate. Second heat I did much better.

For tyres on carpet I run Pit Shimizu inner mesh series, they range from 40 shore down to 20s. They perform like Sorex, much better than Sweep and will mount on Tamiya M chassis rims unlike Sweep. I do however use sweep inserts, usually the pink / soft.

What body were the two racers running on the MF01-X?

That sounds very similar to how my M06 drives. I had to put an ESC in it with drag brake to assist me in the turns which helped massively - otherwise it just swapped ends any time I used the brakes.

Challenging but in my hands I will never be as fast as I am with my M05...

Exactly, M06 works best with drag brake.. Let off before turn and let drag brake slow you down and once you enter turn get back on throttle gently, and you will see it pull right through the turn

hi Mark one

Like the battery idea, how does it drive now???

Could you show how you mounted the battery tray?

mr fog

So I'm back with some news on my MF01x :rolleyes:
I cut the chassis to make it slimmer and increase the riding height

C9hMUK3.jpg
fxkHLU1.jpg

I used a sheet of aluminium 0,5mm thick for the bottom, and enlarged the holes for steering lever to increase the steering angle

AT0ogBG.jpg
qhylO9m.jpg

I add some additional screw to reinforce the frame

RXtfWo7.jpg
0C667eS.jpg
rRXwwly.jpg

So here is the bottom

Actually is in 2 parts, probably I will change the bottom plate with a unique bottom plate made by aluminium sheet but this time flat

l7Mu4N3.jpg

Front View with the CC01 Barrel Spring installed

AfBeWPX.jpg

The new steering angle, looks much better than before

cqrUMbz.jpg
x5DJhZn.jpg

Here is with body mounted :wub:

The riding height is quite increased

Fp91NbV.jpg
fI9hDbM.jpg
g14v4Th.jpg
cbXENdc.jpg

I added weight to the wheels, about 70gr each and swap the pinion gear with a 14T before was 17T and was too fast

I'm doing also a new body, always a jimny B) still missing lights interior and accessory

qlCl0az.jpg
PhASXOx.jpg
rkufXVZ.jpg
Oe8XOTV.jpg

Jim's lost his undercarriage! :o

Looks like some good choppage, it annoys me so much that you can see the battery peeping out underneath the body on this chassis. Nevermind!

mark -one

whats it like to drive now????

I dont know, I finished the chassis few days ago

I didnt try it yet

I hope to have some spare time this weekend

If so I will share a video to show the improvment if any

I've almost got my parts MF-01X parts build done - just waiting on C parts for the battery holders. Already have the body cut, but needs some finishing before paint.

Good news!

Yeah Racing emailed earlier in the week - their hop up part for the rear camber links on the MF01 will be available at the end of the month.

I'm going to order one for both of my cars; I can't think of a better solution to sort the inherent 'problem' which Tamiya seem to have just glossed over. Whether off-road or on-road this kit will do away with the rear upright 'extensions' altogether, basically making the rear suspension the same as the M-05.

yeahracing-TAMC-S07-9.jpg

• Like 2

That's good news Chris - is there a part number for it yet?

Thanks

Rob