XV Pilot

Mf-01x - suzuki jimny, mercedes g-wagen & others

47 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

Here ya go

tamiya-58650-Volkswagen-Beetle-Rally-MF-01X.jpg

Spot clamps either side of the number plate look a bit beefy - Should snap the bumper off dead easy!

been thinking the same. These spots look like taken from an 1:8 modelkit. Waaay too big. But this could be an easy fix. Hope they also make an extra rim for this- at first sight they look similar to the ones from the Fiat Abarth 1000- Hope not.

2 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

Hope they also make an extra rim for this- at first sight they look similar to the ones from the Fiat Abarth 1000- Hope not.

They reminded me of 'minilites' until I noticed the ring, which does look a lot like they're reusing Fiat ones - Proper parts-bin special, surprised it's not sporting '506' door stickers ;)

img22164_06042011224452_4.jpg

5 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Here ya go

Spot clamps either side of the number plate look a bit beefy - Should snap the bumper off dead easy!

Want one!

• Like 1

Why didn't I think of plopping my M04 or 2 or 6 VW Lexan Beetle body on top of this chassis. Those "new" M chassis rally tires are hopefully big enough in the sidewall department to fill the wheel arches. I have to agree that the bumper doesn't need anything more on it to help snap into several pieces. I am interested in it, so we shall see how I get along with buying one.

Well just when I was losing faith in Mr Tamiya....he releases this baby!

This is just up my street!!!

I love it with a passion.....and I will be buying it....2 NIBs to begin with.....

Thanks Mr T!!!

And thank goodness there isn't a stupid cartoon character in sight!!!

• Like 1

Quite disappointed really. It isn't bad, but it could have been a whole lot better. Proper wheels, proper lights, maybe a roof rack, and of course proper decals would have perhaps made it more expensive, but looking at this and comparing it to my mate's Monte Carlo Mini and Renault Alpine, it is clearly not of the same standard. I had tentatively added it to my Christmas wishlist, but having seen the picture, I think I'll take it off again...

• Like 1

Exactly what I thought it was going to be, sans wheels and I thought they would put a rack on the roof.

To be honest I can't see the appeal, over say, the rwd, rear engined, M-06 version.

• Like 1

Having looked at a few images online, I don't think that the wheels are too bad but why not use the previous Beetle wheels?

The black bonnet appears common to the  rally beetle. The bolt on spots look terrible to me but you don't have to add them.

Scalectrix have done a number of rally beetles, most don't have sponsorship decals or a roof rack but this one is a nice replica...

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65927

Why have this over an M06? It is a rally car straight out of the box and the MF-01X is fun to run (from what I have seen on you tube). I had hovered over a Jimmy a few times - this shell has more of a draw, more character. I think it could pull in new fans too, more than the Suzuki and Merc.

What makes it a rally car out of the box? The decals? The spotlights nobody likes? While I don't disagree it will be a fun runner, apart from the m chassis wheels it is just a different body to the jimny, and I feel a RR M-06 beetle (much like the scorcher, blitzer, monster) would be more fun.

I'd rather the Jimny, on the MF-01X, but thats me.

2 hours ago, berman said:

What makes it a rally car out of the box? The decals? The spotlights nobody likes? 

The MF01X has the (slightly) higher ride height option and it comes with rally tyres. Maybe a torque tuned motor (TBC). 

The fake decals and the spotlights are a bonus ;-)

I do think they could have done a better job (like the Scalectrix I linked) but I like it!

19 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

The MF01X has the (slightly) higher ride height option and it comes with rally tyres. Maybe a torque tuned motor (TBC). 

The fake decals and the spotlights are a bonus ;-)

I do think they could have done a better job (like the Scalectrix I linked) but I like it!

Thats the main thing, and it will probably be a hit judging by the feedback here already. 

Regardless, I hope to see some quality pics of it getting sideways (and maybe airborne!) in some loose dirt 😎

• Like 1

New releases like this Rally Beetle and the Konghead make me very happy.  It's nice to see Tamiya bringing out some new ideas instead of just re-releasing old kits.  But also, I only buy stuff I REALLY love, and they keep missing the mark for me, which means my wallet doesn't suffer and I don't clog up the garage with yet another silly toy.  Sooner or later they're gonna get it bang-on and I'll be melting the credit card with the rest of you. :lol:

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 3:21 PM, Badcrumble said:

Having looked at a few images online, I don't think that the wheels are too bad but why not use the previous Beetle wheels?

The black bonnet appears common to the  rally beetle. The bolt on spots look terrible to me but you don't have to add them.

Scalectrix have done a number of rally beetles, most don't have sponsorship decals or a roof rack but this one is a nice replica...

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65927

Why have this over an M06? It is a rally car straight out of the box and the MF-01X is fun to run (from what I have seen on you tube). I had hovered over a Jimmy a few times - this shell has more of a draw, more character. I think it could pull in new fans too, more than the Suzuki and Merc.

This thread is inspiring me to resume work on my beetle --> Rally Beetle

It's listed as pre-order on Horizonhobby and a few other sources.

I've been collecting parts to build out a Porsche 959 on the MF-01X and for some reason, just wasn't cozy buying a Jimmy to build on...  too much of a purist I guess. With this release now I can use it for the base!

Anyway, all the talk of how this new rallye spec Käfer isn't right. Guess what?

We are all hobbyists and that's what we do, make kits our own — build, tweak and modify. I already have on shapeways a set of 1/10th and 1/12 scale Cibié rallye lights designed and also planning to design a proper sticker set for this kit too. I'd imagine the scale nutters going bonkers over this for a proper interior set and totally scale correct off-set rims — let the 3D printing, modding and livery designs begin!

header_1.jpg

o1280080013991244504.jpg

• Like 3

Here's some more livery's. The kit supplied lights might not be totally correct, but an easy fix. First thing will be to design a 3D later model bumpers so we can bolt on four rallye lights!

129fca7fdd36f83ee525fe097b0d06b7--rally-

d64d2bc089ad7829c4e1eb0d1b3a2d64.jpg

ADAC-EifelRallyeFestival14-Salzburg-Kaef

Lavanttal-Rallye-2014-284.jpg

69a3ac415de058ae5ecebf4adcd90bcc.jpg

mag+salz32.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phiber_optik said:

What height are the rally block tyres on the Jimny. I know they are on touring car size wheels but how tall are they?

On the subject of tires: The Team Hahn Euro Truck tires are 27/70mm (or 26/70mm) and fit M-chassis wheels.

IMG_1166.JPG

• Like 1