XV Pilot

Mf-01x - suzuki jimny, mercedes g-wagen & others

The reason the Mf01x will be better than a m06 is because the m06 is hopeless off-road even with the RA uprights. It’s permanently bogged or stuck. 4wd is the only thing that makes the m chassis viable off-road otherwise finding surfaces smooth enough is a pain. But I totally agree it’s rwd in real life so should it be in a RC model.

id like to see some modern wrc shells on this chassis. What about a fiesta wrc? How about a i20 or c30 or even the new Volkswagen r5 wrc car. 

Failing that give us some old group B’s?

mg metro 6r4, Peugeot 205? Ford rs200?

Juls

• Like 2

Sorry for dragging this thread up from the dead but I should be getting one of these tomorrow and want to know if there is a list of mods / upgrades somewhere i can look over , also any tips on building would be great. 

Here's what i have so far ready to order:

Yeah racing full upgrade kit

Tamiya TRF shocks

i have a full sealed bearing kit from fast eddy

Tamiya aluminum M shaft (which one do i actually need? does the kit come with all 3 sections for s/m/l?) 

Servo and receiver from my LHS (i have  DX5 pro for my radio) 

optional: what lipo will fit, and what motor would you all recommend if i find the stock one too slow. 

Thanks!

Shaft depends on the model you buy, if you get the alloy L you can shorten it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, waterbok said:

Shaft depends on the model you buy, if you get the alloy L you can shorten it.

Then one i am getting is the VW Rally Beetle 

22 minutes ago, Scipunk said:

Beetle uses Long configuration. Just built mine this week :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Scipunk said:

This is the alloy propshaft you'll want then:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=403504&gclid=Cj0KCQiA37HhBRC8ARIsAPWoO0wWECnBcUFNB90OkB9KoLQ5edibpB5z96pnrm7UEujXOcZletd_dzsaAv3TEALw_wcB

The kit comes with the plastic parts to build all three wheelbase options, but only one standard steel propshaft in the length to suit the kit. 

Your kit will come with a standard steel propshaft for the long wheelbase, as this is what is needed to fit the Beetle shell. If you want to build the chassis in medium or short wheelbase, you will need a medium or short propshaft in either standard steel or hop-up alloy. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, added a long one to my cart :) anything else i should consider not on my list?

1 hour ago, Scipunk said:

Thanks guys, added a long one to my cart :) anything else i should consider not on my list?

Steel pinion in 0.6 module.

13.5t motor.

Hardcase 2S LiPo of your choice - the chassis takes both rectangular and rounded ones, but offers little protection so hardcase is a must IMO.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Steel pinion in 0.6 module.

13.5t motor.

Hardcase 2S LiPo of your choice - the chassis takes both rectangular and rounded ones, but offers little protection so hardcase is a must IMO.

Awesome thanks Turnip, already have a 2s lipo hardcase, ill get a steel pinion and a 13.5t motor 

3 hours ago, Scipunk said:

@TurnipJF

How is this one https://www.amazon.com/TrackStar-Turnigy-Sensored-Brushless-approved/dp/B00V2VYM2I  

what do mean by module? I find sets of them but im not sure which tooth count to get  would this work? 

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamyth-3-175mm-Off-road-Monster-Brushless/dp/B074QL3983

"0.6 module" is the pitch of the pinion gears used by the MF-01X. It refers to the size and shape of the teeth required to mesh properly with the spur gear.

The chassis can take pinions from 16 to 20 teeth. The Amazon set would therefore not be ideal, as the smaller pinions wouldn't fit, and the set doesn't contain the larger pinions that would fit. Personally I would pick the gear ratios I wanted from page 20 of the manual and order my pinions individually. Robinson Racing and RW Racing are good brands to get.  

While I was at it, I would order a Speed Passion MMM 13.5t motor. The motor cables plug into the rear, making it easier to fit than the Trackstar. It also performs a bit better for similar money. 

"0.6 module" is the pitch of the pinion gears used by the MF-01X. It refers to the size and shape of the teeth required to mesh properly with the spur gear.

The chassis can take pinions from 16 to 20 teeth. The Amazon set would therefore not be ideal, as the smaller pinions wouldn't fit, and the set doesn't contain the larger pinions that would fit. Personally I would pick the gear ratios I wanted from page 20 of the manual and order my pinions individually. Robinson Racing and RW Racing are good brands to get.  

While I was at it, I would order a Speed Passion MMM 13.5t motor. The motor cables plug into the rear, making it easier to fit than the Trackstar. It also performs a bit better for similar money. 

Awesome, thanks for your input :) I can't find that exact one here in the states unless this is it? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Passion-Competition-V3-Sensored-Brushless-Motor-13-5r-SPA138135V3/132600279078?epid=1701787080&hash=item1edf97b026:g:VeUAAOSwFWda4zXF

The one MMM one i found was 120 bucks...lol

The MMM is very similar to the V3, so if you can't find one at a reasonable price, you are unlikely to notice much difference between that and a V3.

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The MMM is very similar to the V3, so if you can't find one at a reasonable price, you are unlikely to notice much difference between that and a V3.

Awesome, let me ask you one last question (sorry i know some stuff but i need to learn a lot more.} Is the XV-01 more capable than the MF-01x? I only ask because i see posts where people compare them and like the TA07 (which is way out of budget) and i just want to make sure i am not making the wrong choice. I love the Beetle but i also love Lancia so it's a toss up body wise. And while i have the bearings already for the MF, its a 20 dollar loss if i get a XV but the XV is like 100 more for just the kit, does it have oil shocks and bearings already?

Maybe i am getting ahead of my self, i am sure i am gonna have fun building either way. 

The xv01 is a whole another ball game. If I had to choose between my xv01 and mf01x the mf01x would be on eBay in a few seconds. If your honestly looking for a true rally experience the xv01 is what you should be looking at. Don’t get me wrong the mf01x in beetle guise is very attractive but it’s not much use off road. Wheels are just too small. The rear motor design while being realistic to the VW isn’t that much fun to drive, it’s difficukt to drift well and doesnt feel responsive (which is probably realistic) the xv01 however is easily the best handling RC rally car on the market, the car pivots on its nose and can be drifted like no other TC chassis. 

Yes the xv01 comes with oil shocks, bearings, oil filled diffs, fully adjustable suspension (with a ton more settings too). 

It is however more complicated, and a more challenging build, there is a lot of fiddly bits that are to do with the various additional suspension adjustments. It is a upper level kit, with higher level of handling and adjustability. 

I think you need both honestly... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

The xv01 is a whole another ball game. If I had to choose between my xv01 and mf01x the mf01x would be on eBay in a few seconds. If your honestly looking for a true rally experience the xv01 is what you should be looking at. Don’t get me wrong the mf01x in beetle guise is very attractive but it’s not much use off road. Wheels are just too small. The rear motor design while being realistic to the VW isn’t that much fun to drive, it’s difficukt to drift well and doesnt feel responsive (which is probably realistic) the xv01 however is easily the best handling RC rally car on the market, the car pivots on its nose and can be drifted like no other TC chassis. 

Yes the xv01 comes with oil shocks, bearings, oil filled diffs, fully adjustable suspension (with a ton more settings too). 

It is however more complicated, and a more challenging build, there is a lot of fiddly bits that are to do with the various additional suspension adjustments. It is a upper level kit, with higher level of handling and adjustability. 

I think you need both honestly... 

I felt this coming at the start of your post...lol I think you are right, but i am gonna start with the MF to get my feet wet, it has been a long time and even though i built a lunchbox like 4 days ago it's no where as complicated as the MF or as you have shown the XV. So i'll use the MF as a learning car and graduate to the XV once i feel more confident :D thanks for your input Juls1!

6 hours ago, Scipunk said:

So i'll use the MF as a learning car and graduate to the XV once i feel more confident :D 

That is a wise move. Both cars have their place, the MF as a fun little thing, more advanced and complex than a CW, but nowhere near as serious or intense as the XV which is will suited to rally competition use. 

That is a wise move. Both cars have their place, the MF as a fun little thing, more advanced and complex than a CW, but nowhere near as serious or intense as the XV which is will suited to rally competition use. 

Good cause my LHS owner is able to get the kit for me :D also he ordered my TRF shocks for the MF and might be able to get my yeah racing set faster than from overseas, so fingers crossed!

OK so i noticed on the instructions the front out-drives only have o-rings on the inner cup and not the outer one where the dog bone sits? Is this a misprint or does it really not use them like everywhere else. I have 4 spare o-rings so i can add them if need be. 

Thanks!

Edited by Scipunk
typos

9 minutes ago, Scipunk said:

OK so i noticed on the instructions the front out-drives only have o-rings on the inner cup and not the outer one where the dog bone sits? Is this a misprint or does it really not use them like everywhere else. I have 4 spare o-rings so i can add them if need be. 

Thanks!

I wondered the same, and just left them as the instructions stated. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scipunk said:

Thanks!

That is correct. The front outer dogbones ends need to operate at greater angles than the inner ones because of the movement of the steering, so the o-rings are omitted, otherwise they would cause the dogbones to bind when full steering is applied at the same time as full suspension extension or compression. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dc-arena said:

I wondered the same, and just left them as the instructions stated. 

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

That is correct. The front outer dogbones ends need to operate at greater angles than the inner ones because of the movement of the steering, so the o-rings are omitted, otherwise they would cause the dogbones to bind when full steering is applied at the same time as full suspension extension or compression. 

Thanks guys, makes total sense. This has been a  fun build so far other than taking apart the frame extension like 5 times cause they didn't fit right only to be because I made them backwards...lol also had to pull the driveshaft out again to re-add shims and had to pull the front trans apart because the right front axle would not go in just needed to adjust the gear (i think i added a touch too much grease) and for the life of me i can barely see the the pinion mesh...lol all is good now except i don't have a tamiya plug battery...lol gonna get the esc plug changed over today and have the guys at the LHS show me how to make sure the mesh is solid before i run it :)

So i just ordered the Yeah racing suspension kit, and Tamiya aluminum servo mount (scored both for $45 bucks as i had Amazon credit points...lol). It should arrive by February so I will post a build thread then with the upgrades :) My TRF shocks should be in Wed and my aluminum driveshaft should be here today.

I was wondering how big/tall of a wheel/tire can i go on this without messing up the suspension, to be honest I am not a huge fan of the stock rims it comes with. Something either more close to VW wheels or really any ones that give me a bit more ground clearance would be nice. 

Thanks!

Beetle body can fit standard TC discs with rally tires. Here's how it looks on M04

safari-cup-remote-controlled-rally-racin

• Like 2