Klausen

Kyosho Tomahawk rere'd

If they are releasing it with these hop ups I bet there is demand for it somewhere.. Probably in Japan. They always have gatherings and classes for these cars.

I do however think they over did it .. They should have skipped the Beetle since it was never popular and gone straight to Tomahawk.

Then as an option they should have listed the beetle conversion kit.

As for the Turbo Scorpion... All we have left in parts are the white tub, body /decals and roof. The rest of the elements were either on the re-re or have now been released... Wheels being the latest

I can understand the Beetle being a bit of a damp squib as that body is a real Marmite affair, and the chassis is basically identical to the Scorpion. Not the Tomahawk though. It has enough chassis differences to make it interesting enough to potential buyers who already bought the Scorpion. More importantly though, it is a fantastic looking buggy and has the classic lines of all of the '80s icons such as the Optima and Mid.

I agree about the Japan sentiment though. It seems that there are lots of vintage enthusiasts over there and this merely reinforces the suspicion that it really is the home market that drives all of the re-releases.

As for the Turbo Scorpion... All we have left in parts are the white tub, body /decals and roof. The rest of the elements were either on the re-re or have now been released... Wheels being the latest

With the wheels now coming back I really hope that they are planning to re-release the Turbo to complete the Scorpion chassis quartet. A "hopped up to the max" affair with all of the old Turbo cosmetic details. It would be pricey but also be a must-have.

That's why I sold off my scrap Tomy conversion parts and bought the re-release. Have not had a chance to build it yet.. When I do.. It will be sporting:

1. Dwayne's HG towers

2. HG shocks

3. Universals

4. Futaba BLS451 servo

5. Novak Havoc Pro SCX ESC

6. Novak Ballistic 17.5 motor

Then I plan on showing up to the local off road track

I do except to be laughed at initially since they all think their hideously neon painted buggies with space alien designed bodies are so cool.

Once I do put down some decent laps and they see it's as capable as their hideous buggies .. Maybe a class can be born

It's just a shame that the Tomahawk doesn't seem to have excited many people. And I really don't know why either.

I just hope that if it is a sales flop this doesn't deter Kyosho from doing more re-releases.

I just won a NIB Tomahawk on eBay for less than I could get it from Tower Hobbies, so I'm now doing my part now. :)

So you paid less than $214.99? I'm envious

Yeah, $205 w/free shipping from rpphobby. I can't believe nobody bid it higher.

I skipped the Scorpion, and went straight to the Beetle, and it is the best build I have had in many years, and I think it looks awesome. So until now, this is Kyoshos greatest rere. I will get a Tomahawk when it comes to Europe though, but so far haven't seen it anywhere.

• Like 1

My LHS has all three in stock (usually we take a long time to see a new release from kyosho), after pouring over them to be honest I think I prefer the beetle with its odd headlights and long chassis/short body, then the scorpion, then the tomahawk, personally.

Downside is they are $380nzd for the scorpion, $450nzd for the beetle, and $475nzd for the tommy, so I'll pass lol.

My LHS has all three in stock (usually we take a long time to see a new release from kyosho), after pouring over them to be honest I think I prefer the beetle with its odd headlights and long chassis/short body, then the scorpion, then the tomahawk, personally.

Downside is they are $380nzd for the scorpion, $450nzd for the beetle, and $475nzd for the tommy, so I'll pass lol.

Ouch, haven't seen it in Oz yet, I'm keen on it, will depend on price though

• Like 1

I skipped the Scorpion, and went straight to the Beetle, and it is the best build I have had in many years, and I think it looks awesome. So until now, this is Kyoshos greatest rere. I will get a Tomahawk when it comes to Europe though, but so far haven't seen it anywhere.

Well I like all three.....and the Beetle arrives in the post on Monday. :)

I can see why some people don't like the Beetle though. The body has a bug-eyed look and is not very scale looking, but to me it has a certain charm of it's own. I haven't always thought this way though as, years before it ever got re-released, I used to think that it was an ugly looking thing. Like many other RC body designs though, it has really grown on me.

• Like 2

Ouch, haven't seen it in Oz yet, I'm keen on it, will depend on price though

Heh, after my post I decided to weight up buying one online from hk and since the nzd has taken a bit of a hit a 215usd Kyosho incl shipping will cost me 410 nzd, so not too bad at all at the mo. I will still barter with my lhs though ;)

If you ask most vintage Kyosho collectors which cars they would most like to see re-released- I imagine the majority would say Optima/Optima Mid etc...

So, why would Kyosho NOT re-release these kits? It's a no-brainer. It's just a matter of WHEN they will, not WILL they.

I can't wait.

• Like 1

If we are lucky, we will see the Optima for Christmas. If we are unlucky.. the will re-release the Sidewinder LOL

Just about finished mine, these are fantastic kits to throw together, a real joy

Hi all.

I've got my Tomahawk sitting at my LHS (AU$379) on lay-by and I'm starting to plan out the build. I was just wondering if anyone who's already done a box art build had any ideas on what shade of red I should be using? Tamiya have the PS-2 red and PS-34 bright red. I was thinking it should be PS-34 as the PS-2 looks to be a bit dark.

Any ideas/opinions?

I just put 34 on mine, it is a very bright red, more so than the box art but it is a colour I like

I'm in the middle of my build as well.

Regarding paint, you can also first do a light coat of PS34 and then darken it with PS2

Thanks gents,

Looks like the vote is pretty evenly split. Blood red or arterial red. I wound up layering colours to get the Scorpion yellow correct, so I think Raman's suggestion is the go.

Thanks for mentioning that they addressed the binding issues, my Scorpion build was great fun, right up until I spent just as long again, dicking around trying to sort out suspension issues.

Actually I believe I found my own error that was causing my Scorpions rear suspension to bind.

As you know there is a tall and short suspension shaft holders. They are tapered on one end. On the tomahawk, I installed the taller one with taper side up and the shorter one taper side down, as the instructions state. This is what made me think they addressed it by revising the shorter one.

I later took a look at my Scorpion and both taper sides were facing up. So I opened that Scorpion manual and it too states that the taller one should be with taper side up and the shorter one taper side down. It never dawned on me that I might hand installed it wrong because I have owned many of these chassis and the originals were always installed in the same direction.

• Like 1

Juch picked one up a couple of weeks ago

Though it cost $170 more than the Scorpion.......................it hurt to buy but I had you have one

$370 in AUS at the moment.... our $ has taken a dive again and even Ebay postage costs hurt :(

I finished mine with most of the carbon upgrades. It is a sweet thing to work on and look at, goes well too. Now to get the bug version assembled