donut_v2

M-02L VW Beetle resurrection (rally conversion)

I modeled everything except the bumpers. I did modify them though to accommodate the foglights.

progress02.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome detail. You could sell those parts, the bonnet/hood latches would be especially popular I would think.

I would like to get an M-02 beetle, don't think I would take it this far, not to say I am not jealous of yours though! 😊

4 hours ago, berman said:

Awesome detail. You could sell those parts

Very true! - I'm in need of a pair of headlight lenses that would fit on the Kamtec (oval window) Beetle body :)

Thanks berman & colda.

It would be nice to sell them but probably only on a made to order basis. Maybe I should put them on Shapeways? :D

Anyway, had some time to work on a couple more parts.

Here are the new wheels printed using clear resin. Tried a quick shot of flat black to see how they turn out.

wheelsTires01.jpg

Here's a failed print of the ver. 1 tire...

wheelsTires02.jpg

Ver. 2 has a tighter tread pattern that looks a bit more to scale. Both tires haven't been fully washed and cured yet so they look a bit rough and grimy. 

wheelsTires03.jpg

Flexible resin!

wheelsTires04.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The question is, do you think that ninjaflex will

A. Actually grip to surfaces

B. Have some kind of reasonable wear rate.

or do you think they are display only jobs?

I think NinjaFlex should be durable enough to withstand normal running and have reasonable grip. 

The tires shown in the previous post were printed using an SLA printer. An FDM printer using NinjaFlex just can't give me the level of detail I'm looking for. My latest tires were printed using flexible resin which is much softer and, based on feel,  has the same amount of grip a standard Tamiya rubber tire has.

I modeled a new tire and will test run it to see how it holds up.

tirerender.jpg.82ffa666f57dde895108333613df02d8.jpg

• Like 2

Great Scott! That is beyond belief! What software did you use?

20 hours ago, _oliK said:

Great Scott! That is beyond belief! What software did you use?

CorelDraw and 3ds Max

WOW! Have you got two, so you can try driving? Or is it just a shelf queen, anyway?

6 hours ago, _oliK said:

WOW! Have you got two, so you can try driving? Or is it just a shelf queen, anyway?

Yes, I printed two sets (wheels and tires) of the latest version to test. I plan to try them on a DF-03Ra since the Beetle chassis has no electronics. I'll be travelling for a week though so the test will have to wait :(.

I'll be testing the wheels and tires tomorrow if I have time. I have them on the front and the old FDM printed ones in the rear.

VWtirestest.jpg

Finally got the time to test run the 3d printed tires. Everything worked out. The tires survived 30 minutes of bashing on a cement road. I did full speed turns, brakes, zigzags, etc.. The tires and wheels stayed in one piece. I tried to drive and take a video at the same time to show the tires in action. It wasn't easy so I couldn't really show the punishment I put the tires through.

tirerun1.jpg

tirerun2.jpg

[media]

[/media]

• Like 3

Excellent! I am happy to see the tires held up to that punishment. They look great with a bit of weathering ;)