Grumpy pants

Correct Period Radio Gear For A M38 Wild Willy

I have 2 Acoms AS-2 Servos and a Techniplus 3 handset in my spares.

Is this produced a bit later than the M38 SWB Wild Willy or is the correct year/type model?

I don't plan to run my W.W, but I want it to be period correct, work and of course look the part!

Thank you.

Simon

There's always going to be some oddities and/or overlap, and nothing is set in stone, but in general, a Mk.III Techniplus TX & AS-2 servos are not a natural match for the Willy M38 - or even for each other, TBH.

Two AS-2 servos (as far as I can work out) were usually sold (along with a single AS-3) with the AP-427 TX & ARA-427 RX as a radio set for the Tamiya 3-speeds.

For a very early SWB Wild Willy M38, a Mk.1 set (AP-227 TX, ARA-227 RX, ASA-227 or AS-1 servos) might be appropriate, but for most (and all LWB M38s) a Mk.II set (AP-227 Mk.II (aka ATB-227) TX, ARB-227 RX & ASA-227 (or AS-1 or AS-1S) servos is going to be most "correct".

Mk.II sets are probably going to be more plentiful (and have a greater chance of still working) than Mk.I sets too.

If you want to go with Futaba instead, I think the "Medallion 2" set would probably be most period correct, I can probably find the servo/RX model #s if you really need them.

:)

• Like 1