Ritchie

Screws not tightening in plastic after reuse

Hi, i am currently restoring a chassis that was unfinished and renewing parts where i can, however, whenever i try to screw into the plastic, the screws will not tighten, has anybody got any suggestions please, thanks.

Thanks for that, would the use of threadlock do the same job guys?

No, anaerobic threadlock is for metal-2-metal bonding.

Plastic thread repair is best/easiest/fastest with superglue. If your hole needs more filler material, shave a sliver of wood/toothpick down the hole before applying glue.

It's also ok to use machinethread screws into plastic holes. Those selftappers are easy to overtighten until hole strips.

• Like 2

I've been using UHU Plast flüssig in the past, which is essentially a glue for plastic model kit building that melts the plastic parts together. I think similar plastic model glues are available from other brands too.

I use it by placing some drops on the screw or inside the hole, then tighten the screw into the hole 2 times, and then let the screw inside the hole for at least 24 hours. Worked well for me.

• Like 2

My repair method for stripped threads in plastic -

1) Superglue a piece of scrap parts tree into the screw hole, enlarge slightly if required using a drill and allow to set & trim as required.

2) Drill a new hole in the centre of the now filled hole to take the screw and cut a new thread.

• Like 2

My repair method for stripped threads in plastic -

1) Superglue a piece of scrap parts tree into the screw hole, enlarge slightly if required using a drill and allow to set & trim as required.

2) Drill a new hole in the centre of the now filled hole to take the screw and cut a new thread.

you can also powder up some scrap parts tree and make a paste using Plastic weld solvent . Fill the hole , allow it to set overnight and drill a hole to suit . Works well

• Like 3

Great advice, I'll try your suggestions next time I've got to struggle with threads. Many thanks!

you can also powder up some scrap parts tree and make a paste using Plastic weld solvent . Fill the hole , allow it to set overnight and drill a hole to suit . Works well

Smart! I think I need to start saving my sprues. They've gone from trash to resource :-)

• Like 1

Smart! I think I need to start saving my sprues. They've gone from trash to resource :-)

the big advantage is that your using the same material so in theory the repair will be as strong as the original part

• Like 2

This probably sounds crazy, but I've actually melted a small portion of a parts tree (with a heat gun) to fill the stripped out hole, let it cool, molded it to be flat and then drilled a new hole to set the screw in. Just don't melt it to the point it is burning

Sounds silly, but going on a year and still holding =)

• Like 2

That doesn't sound silly at all. Plastic welding is a recognised repair technique, used on everything from car bumpers to domestic appliances. Makes sense to use it on model cars too!

• Like 1

I have once used heat shrink tube to repair a stripped screw hole. Heat shrink the thread of the screw and superglue it in the stripped hole, after drying remove screw and you have a nice threaded hole.

• Like 1

great advice guys, i will try these at the weekend, work has prevented me doing my hobby for a few days, but we all have to earn a crust don't we LOL