Sign in to follow this  
SimonDM

Bruiser speed controller

I just received my second Bruiser, a step up from my first which I sold, and I seem to have a speed controller problem. I am not sure whether I have a problem or not because I never ran my first one. It seems that there is only one speed position on the controller, full power, at full rotation. The contacts, and my experience with other controllers tells me that there should be a 2nd speed, but it is not working. I checked the wiring comparing it with a Bruiser manual and everything appears to be correct. Are these controllers only one speed, due to the 3 speed transmission? Does anyone have a properly working controller who can tell me?

No there is the typical Tamiya 3-step MSC there. Should have 3 spds.

Bruiser uses a twin-resistor setup, like Wild Willy. There are 2

separate ceramic resistors with 2 prongs each (later ones is a

single unit with 3 prongs). They sit just above the rear axle.

I think if you've plugged the 4 spade connectors wrongly across

the 2 resistors you could get a situation where they're just not

connected... so you only have 1 speed = full power.

Have a go swapping the spades around, you can't do any damage anyhow.

Thank you! I swapped the purple wires around on the resistors, and presto! I now have a properly working MSC! That was easy enough [:I]

I think the reason you don't have 1st or 2nd gear has nothing to do with your speed controller. To get 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear you need a servo which shift gear. I gathered your radio / receiver is 3 channel? If so are all the servos working especially for the tranny. If yes, check the linkage for any problem with the shifting. You may have to manually help shift the gears to see if all the gears work for 1st gear (all wheel drive), 2nd and 3rd gear. The gears could be worn and need replacement. You may want to open the tranny up by following one of the Brusier web-site which is not that difficult. If you have good digitial camera you may want to take pictures for each set and ball race it at the same time. Is not as difficult as you think.

Cheers