Sign in to follow this  
Gravel Wolf

Fighter Buggy RX steering tie rods too long?

Has anyone else encountered this issue? It seems like the steering rods on the RX are about 5mm too long on each side so that even with the suspension under no compression the front wheels point inwards. Is there a suitable upgrade available that is adjustable or a way of shortening them without weakening them?

I'd also like to know if there is a way to make the link between the servo and capstan more rigid as it introduces a lot of "flop" into the steering. Thanks in advance for any ideas! :)

The Fighter Buggy RX is based on the DT-01 chassis, same as the Mad Bull. Do a search for Mad Bull steering fixes - many forum posts have been made on the subject, and they will apply to your buggy too. Most involve replacing the stock links with ball connectors and threaded rod or turnbuckles.

The mad bull seems to use different arms made of what looks like a harder plastic with little cutouts and to me the front wheels don't seem to have the same issue of pointing inwards. I would just get some mad bull arms if I thought they would fix the issue but adjustability would be nice.

As for the sloppy steering linkage I can see what you mean with the ball connectors - I will have to see how easy it is to put something together.

The Mad Bull and Fighter Buggy RX plastic tie rods are the same length, just different thicknesses. They had to be reinforced for the Mad Bull to be able to withstand the extra stresses imposed by the bigger wheels and tyres.

It is not just the little wire steering link that can be replaced with ball connectors and threaded rod or turnbuckles. The plastic tie rods can benefit from the same treatment. I use a set of adjustable tie rods from a Wild Dagger on mine.