Sign in to follow this  
Nobbi1977

Wild Dagger

I got this box of bits from another user on here. About 90% complete plus about 5% extra bits included.

Most of a parts bag and one U clip was missing. The bag was expensive for the bits I needed so I used Hop-Ups where needed.

Being an old kit I have to build the gearboxes. One bit I could not get was the 34mm shafts so I had to make a pair out of longer ones

SAM_2158_zpsmnvfkgv7.jpg

SAM_2157_zpsuj601o8k.jpg

SAM_2159_zpstsp8whr4.jpg

SAM_2160_zpsv8mij8gi.jpg

SAM_2162_zpscdrkig9l.jpg

Building the gearboxes

SAM_2163_zpshazliki0.jpg

SAM_2164_zpshds3jzvt.jpg

Diff Putty again

SAM_2165_zpser1hgccg.jpg

SAM_2166_zpsehftvlck.jpg

Camera went flat here so we will have to skip too

SAM_2167_zpsqflb9am2.jpg

Much needed shock towers

SAM_2168_zpsiu4th3sq.jpg

SAM_2169_zpsyql2yse8.jpg

Diff Cups were missing so these looked about right

SAM_2170_zpscaiktt0z.jpg

O-rings found in the garage

SAM_2171_zpsigltndgt.jpg

I had these in stock

SAM_2172_zpskovh6imz.jpg

SAM_2173_zpsdskr2dnv.jpg

Outer cups were included, I have these hardened ones but have not fitted them yet.

SAM_2174_zpsagykjsv9.jpg

All ready to go

SAM_2175_zpshndwvbg9.jpg

WoooHoo LIDL special

SAM_2176_zpshjmrjiky.jpg

Hexes. They were cheaper in this colour

SAM_2177_zpssn4uqhkx.jpg

PLAN B

If i happen to not like this I had a plan B. Custom shortened chassis would be needed so I mocked something up.

SAM_2178_zps2ciofzaq.jpg

What do you think?

SAM_2179_zpskxx7u41r.jpg

SAM_2180_zpsqrgeukpt.jpg

SAM_2181_zps7gmamrqa.jpg

Back to Plan A

SAM_2182_zpsujfr9hid.jpg

Saver is a bit shorter but we will see if it all works OK

SAM_2183_zpsdeiqy0gc.jpg

Just because

SAM_2184_zpsfkwt90tf.jpg

At this point I should have stopped drinking or put the model down. I will need to fit the servo in the correct place in the morning

SAM_2185_zpse6rdbuft.jpg

SAM_2186_zpsyhr6yq54.jpg

SAM_2187_zpsuhenozgd.jpg

SAM_2188_zpsyvkg9dti.jpg

Body came painted. Not a bad job. The red is real nice but the black is the wrong type of paint so flaking off.

SAM_2189_zpsoqivejyj.jpg

Took it for a spin around the garden and it is fun. The Boom shocks are not great so I need to work on them

• Like 1

Interesting - have you gone for rear wheel steering? Or are the body mounts just switched around? Either way, looks like fun!

No rear wheel steering, I will check the mounts. I guess I should have printed the manual rather than doing it from memory.

With the chassis being basically symmetrical, there is no shame in getting things back-to-front, especially if working without a manual. :)

Looking forward to seeing some pics/vids of it running!

Looks good. My Mud Blaster is my favourite runner, it takes an absolute beating. I used the same hi-torque servo saver and it's fine - Obviously adjust the tie rods so you don't end up with too much toe-in though.

The servo posts are much more than just bling on this chassis - they're pretty essential as the stock plastic posts aren't beefy enough for the big wheels acting on them, introducing lots of flex.

Only thing I'm finding with mine is an incline for rolling over under anything but minimal throttle - partially my fault I'm sure for fitting the 11T brushless system, but I also run the widest stance setup and I'm considering adding some adjustable upper arms for some negative camber...

I did a couple of good rolls today and a forward flip when braking turned in to reverse. I need to get used to the quickrun ESC, it engages reverse a lot easier than the Tamiya ones. I have left the top deck clear as I was considering running 3s on the silver cans for a giggle.

I did find it does not jump as well as my Mud Blaster, with the extra gearbox at the front and the servo it is a bit nose heavy

I find my WR-01 comes into its own when asked to tackle really rough terrain at relatively low speeds. It can jump if it has to, but my WT-01 is far better at going fast, jumping high, etc. Horses for courses and all that...

I find my WR-01 comes into its own when asked to tackle really rough terrain at relatively low speeds. It can jump if it has to, but my WT-01 is far better at going fast, jumping high, etc. Horses for courses and all that...

Guess I need to find some fast rough terrain

Quick play tonight

Starting point

SAM_2191_zpsoughkgzh.jpg

Boom Racing shocks are awful as stock. I was going to swap them out but they were not cheap so I though I better fix them.

SAM_2193_zpswk9kxceq.jpg

SAM_2194_zpsfk6cleuf.jpg

Hard to see here but when I stripped this one the holes were blocked where they had not been drilled properly

SAM_2195_zpsid6lqry8.jpg

All the four shocks had different size holes in the pistons and the E clip covers a bit of the holes on all of them. One shock had different size holes in one shock.

All the holes were far to small to work properly so I re-drilled them all the same size. I picked a size close to the Tamiya pistons in CVAs.

The springs are weak in these as well, I am running the hardest but they are still soft. Because they are progressively wound they give a lot of sag, I think this is good for this chassis.

SAM_2197_zpspgfti4k0.jpg

Refitted and ready to go. I have moved the bottom mount in one hole, this should let the body roll a bit more in the turns.

SAM_2198_zpsaxlhvhzo.jpg

Next job. While I was playing with shocks I noticed the spacers on the sprue

SAM_2199_zps01uskitr.jpg

Perfect

SAM_2200_zps89t0160g.jpg

All ready to roll again

SAM_2203_zpskneqxn8f.jpg

I might have to play with the shocks on my WT-01 now...................

• Like 1

The stance looks good!

Is it my imagination, or is the back wheel mounted wrong way round relative to the tyre? I have a feeling it may belong on the other side of the vehicle, and one of the wheels from the other side might belong in its place. The tyres aren't glued I hope?

• Like 1

The stance looks good!

Is it my imagination, or is the back wheel mounted wrong way round relative to the tyre? I have a feeling it may belong on the other side of the vehicle, and one of the wheels from the other side might belong in its place. The tyres aren't glued I hope?

I had never thought about the wheels being directional....

... Just checked and you are correct.

Tyres are not glued but they need to be, I can hear them squeaking.

Just had a run around the garden and the shock set up is better but it is still easy to roll. I moved the shocks to the outer holes on the arms and I got a bit better.

I think these shocks need stronger springs for a model of this weight.

I built some turnbuckles for mine earlier, to try to prevent the whole rollover tendency.

I made them from some 5mm adjusters and a couple of spare tie-rods (I think originally from a TL01) and after test-fitting the front I set about making 2 more for the rear...only to realise that the rear upper arms are longer than the front. Bummer!

Will report back on whether it does anything toward preventing spills though.

• Like 1

I was looking at doing the same. I also thought about using front arms on the rear to give a wider track but this would need longer bones and I am not sure you can get any longer

I made some super beefy adjustable upper arms for my WR-01 using Traxxas rod ends and thick stainless steel threaded rod, but after much experimentation with different amounts of camber, found the stock length to be pretty much ideal. So when I built my WT-01, I just used the stock plastic upper arms. :)

Daggers seem to be coming back into fashion.

Looks like you've done pretty much the same mods I do on mine (have 3 between me and both kids.)

I found the stock driveshafts bent easily, especially the front ones. Thunder shot CVD's fit or if you want really heavy duty, dog ones from the Ofna Dominator fit too (and are about twice the thickness of the stock ones.

I found keeping the suspension lower stopped the traction roll, my lower arms are almost parallel to the ground. Lifting it too high causes the left hand steering arm to rub the gearbox and lift the wheel.

IMG_0535.jpg

6f57bc83.jpg

Daggers seem to be coming back into fashion.

Looks like you've done pretty much the same mods I do on mine (have 3 between me and both kids.)

I found the stock driveshafts bent easily, especially the front ones. Thunder shot CVD's fit or if you want really heavy duty, dog ones from the Ofna Dominator fit too (and are about twice the thickness of the stock ones.

I found keeping the suspension lower stopped the traction roll, my lower arms are almost parallel to the ground. Lifting it too high causes the left hand steering arm to rub the gearbox and lift the

I still have a lot of experimenting to do. What shocks are you running?

I think part of my roll problem is the LiPo pack is so much lighter than the old batteries

Two are running CVA's from a TB01 in the stock locations (drilled through the gearbox mountings and fitted an M3 bolt, washers and nylocs as the stock self tappers cause stress cracks, the third runs GPM shock towers and the front shocks from an Axial Wraith.

Running it lower stopped most of my grip rolling.

pics look good, i am building/restoring a wild dagger with torque tuned motors, alloy suspension arms, ally camber arms, fullly ball raced, looking for new decals for the body, any advice guys would be appreciated.

Just be wary of the alloy suspension arms - where they attach to the chassis is quite a major part of the car, so adding rigidity to the arms increases the likelihood of damaging the mounting points. It's a royal pain having to dismantle an entire gearbox just to resolve a breakage in that area. The stock plastic items are very good at absorbing a lot of impact.

Straight out of the box they are strong enough - many recommend the alloy suspension towers as per this thread, which do look good, but to be honest I've never managed to break a stock plastic one yet - doing plenty of jumps!

As Chris said, the alloy arms look good but you will break the gearbox cases if you have a hard crash. The stock ones don't look very bling but they flex enough to absorb pretty much anything.

I made up some top arms with ball ends and threaded rod, simply because I had it spare from various Axial rig builds.

Just read the whole thread as I've being away for a while . Great build . I last built a modified Wild Dagger almost 2 years ago and its still going strong . I went a bit OTT - 4x4x4 and alloy everything . However it was well worth it as no matter how much abuse I give it nothing has broke . I think that may be down to the oversize Clod wheels and massive Kyosho tires I have on it . They seem to soak up a lot of the impacts lol

• Like 1

Looking at the participants in this discussion, and at their locations, it would appear that most of us who are interested in WR01/WT01s are based in or around Lincolnshire.

Lincs Dagger Meet anyone? :)

I just tried this on 3S, just a soft 1000mah pack. Without a normal battery in the bottom it just flips over backwards on power and rolls forward on brakes.

I think the quickrun swaps from brake to reverse a bit fast for my likeing