Sign in to follow this  
XV Pilot

Fleet themes - what is yours?

Does anyone else on here try to have a theme or themes to their fleets?

I don't always succeed, but over the last while I have been trying to plan additions to my fleet so that they somehow fit in with cars that are already present.

For example, all my rally cars depict fullsize vehicles that took part in the Monte Carlo rally. My non-vintage 4WD buggies all have touring car equivalents. And now with the forthcoming rerelease of the 911 GT2, I am working towards a Volkswagen AG theme with my touring cars, with a 911 GT3 shell planned for my race TT-01, a Golf shell for my FF-01 and a Cayenne shell for my offroad TL-01.

What themes do y'all have going on in your fleets?

I like to have a road version and a track/rally version of each of mine's. Saying that, i have a few Martini Racing themed cars, and would like a few Repsol WRC shells with sequential numbers

A lot of mine have scuffs and scratches, does that count? :D

• Like 5

I used to live in the U.S. (I'm a Brit) and at one point most of my cars had a union Jack on the body or spoiler, it started with my TA05 race car, one of my buddies did an awesome job and painted the flag over the entire shell, lots of masking! That inspired me to try. Since moving back to the UK it doesn't seem right to keep the theme up though, odd...

Honestly I don't really have one theme, except that I buy what I like the look of...

I seem to get stuck on a winter camo/moo cow theme sometimes...

20140101_172832_zpsj22tudw6.jpg

20121007_174022.jpg

• Like 1

I seem to focus almost exclusively on hard-bodies now.

Lancia 037

re-re Scorcher

Wild Willy M38

Wild Willy 2

Wild Willy Wheeler

GF-01 Martini Porsche with a hard body 935 waiting to go on it

non-Tamiya RC4WD Land Rover D90.

The only exception is my TB-01 chassis which has probably had 4 or 5 different rally bodies on it and is currently sporting a Martini Delta Integrale.

A re-re 959 would get me off-theme but other than that I just prefer the weight and detail of hard bodies vs lexan.

The only theme I have is that all my cars have 4 wheels, and they cost money.:)

I guess the "theme" I have going with my collection is that all must be sporting box art colours, have full bearings, ready to run with only futaba or tamiya radio gear. oh and tamiya brand hops ups are only allowed. My doctor calls this OCD but what does he know anyway.

I guess the "theme" I have going with my collection is that all must be sporting box art colours, have full bearings, ready to run with only futaba or tamiya radio gear. oh and tamiya brand hops ups are only allowed. My doctor calls this OCD but what does he know anyway.

I just found my Canadian clone ^_^

Except I allow Acoms vintage radio gear and Spektrum and Sanwa for TRF.

I also have this thing about having the top of the line of each chassis type. Prefer SuperShot, SuperChamp, Top Force Pro, Egress etc. But I've diversified so much that it can't be called a theme anymore.

• Like 1

Don't know if it counts as a theme (or just a worrying obsession!) but out of my 25 complete cars, Wild Willy is driving 23 of them.

I've got three other incomplete projects, and yes, he'll be driving them too!

I have a couple of themes going with my cars. One would be vehicles in various Rothmans liveries and vehicles in Miller genuine Draft Livery.

img34_04062003175606_5.jpg

Rothmans

1.jpg

112306005.jpg

image_zps2c6b7cce.jpg

Miller Genuine Draft

iphonepics1238.jpg

hotshot.jpg

image_zpsb39a495f.jpg

image_zpsd621bb88.jpg

2874DAB5-00A5-4169-8020-A01D6FE52A33_zps

• Like 2

My only theme is that everything gets run, even if it's only once. And I try to make sure I get an action shot of each car to prove it.

My theme is to collect all the models me and my brothers had in the 80's. I still need to get my hands on a Terra Scorcher, Monster Beetle and Grasshopper.

On a non-superficial level, my current theme is owning cars with original release or design dates preceding my year of birth (with the odd break). This is the more consistent theme in my small collection.

Colour-wise, I usually go either box-art or dark green; my most consistent one (read: applied to more than one car) is dark green with red and white:

23qzclv.jpg

25jipgk.jpg

That in turn started from a non-box-art Buggy Champ 2009 in TS-43 Racing Green:

k183mu.jpg

If I ever went legitimately racing, my rigs would probably sport this basic scheme or variations thereof.

• Like 2

Lovely cars, but no Kyosho bike? I know they had to replace the word 'Rothmans' with the word 'Racing', but the colors are still there.

kyosho_3021_2.jpg

Dorvack.

I have a few of those and one I can ride on

image_zps4b78c80d.jpg

I had a look at the link there, that's a lovely chassis - the carbon is a work of art.

Where did you get the body? Rusty Wallace is my favourite NASCAR driver of all time

My "theme" seems to be "broken".

Going back in time I usually went for black / purple with silver highlights, normally in some sort of slash effect.

I plan to revisit it for my new build.

I have a few different themes going on since I started collecting. The only car that doesn't fit the theme is my Dark Impact, which was the first RC in my collection

For my touring car shelfers, the theme is "Minerva Dragons" - which is a quasi-futuristic sci novel I started writing some time back, about a street racer who gets involved in a mafia turf war and ends up racing for his life. It's set a thousand years in the future, yet all the cars are 1990s vintage. I have a shelf dedicated to cars that represent those driven by characters in the story - they are mostly modified street versions of Japanese cars but there are some German cars, a ropey pick-up and a few others that are still in progress. None of them have race liveries but some do have signwriting advertising companies referenced in the novel.

It's become a bit of an obsession - while I was on holiday last week I was considering building a 1:10 version of the garage where the main characters store tune their cars, complete with 4-post ramps, jacks, axle stands, tools, wheels and tyres on racks and cars in various states of repair.

My off-road buggies are all non-boxart, apart from my Dark Impact. My main rule is that I never do box-art. I try to make sure that, where I use sponsor decals (either old-style genuine or re-re "fake sponsor" decals) they are all relevant to the car. They mostly have motorsport themes but not based on any 1:1 design.

My race cars (buggy, touring, Mini) tend to have my own motorsport-style theme which changes for each car. They usually have SCRAPSpeed race team decals, official sponsor decals (usually a fake company that I make up) and some generic motorsport decals.

My scalers all have stock-style paint schemes with sponsor decals to reflect the level of tune of the vehicle - i.e. a mostly-stock scaler has very few sponsor decals, a pro-comp scaler is covered with motorsport decals and may be painted with stripes or a motorsport scheme.

I decalled my Buggy Champ Gold Edition with some custom-made San Miguel / SCRAPSpeed decals and added a fake secondary sponsor. I liked it so much I had my touring car painted and decalled in the same livery, then I painted my CC01 Brat in the same colours and used it as a support truck. I had intended to make a scale trailer for it and drive my new touring car to its first race of the season on the back of the trailer, but I never got round to it. Maybe next year...

Recently I have a crazy plan to remove all the stock shells from my 2wd buggies and replace them with Scorcher / Kamtec Baja shells to make a fleet of baja beetles. They will all be painted and decalled in the boxart design of the chassis - i.e. the Kamtec Baja on the Frog will be in Frog colours / decals, the Sand Scorcher shell on the Buggy Champ will be in Buggy Champ colours / decals, Kamtec Baja on a Fox in Fox colours / decals etc... - I already have quite a collection of Scorcher and Baja shells to do this but I've yet to actually crack on and make it happen...

I really need to start getting pics of all the stuff I do ;)

It's not much of a theme per se but every car I currently have has one of these little smiling stars on the left-rear area of the body.

05.14.2015-16.21.png

I've got a thing with Jagermeister at mo.

Post some pics