Effigy3

TRF 201 Item #42167

39 minutes ago, Muecke2000 said:

Please show us a nice video of your car in action. :)

I've been keeping a thread in the Racing forums. Here's a link to the first video. There are more on page 2 of the thread.

On 8/4/2016 at 6:10 PM, Darat76 said:

Try going to -2.5/-3 on the camber, and dial in 1 to 2 degrees of toe in. That will make it a little more edgy on the straights, but should give better then in response on the corners.

Oh, it will also change the wear pattern on the tyres a lot.

I just wanted to say that I wasn't ignoring your suggestion.  Last race day the mains got rained out and the next race isn't for another 2 weeks still.  I'm going to run my current set-up to get a feel for it then if I need more turn-in apply your suggestions.  Right now I'm waiting for Hobbico to return my servo.  I sent it out for repair.  It'd only turn left.  :o  That's fine for NASCAR or an oval racer I suppose but is one big can of fail on an off-road track.  ;)

• Like 1

Last race during the 2nd of 3 qualifier rounds my servo decided to only turn left.  Obviously this is a problem so I bought a replacement servo at the track.  Note to self: always bring a spare servo in the race case.  The choices were slim, especially if I wanted to keep the cost under $100.  I settled on a Savox SC-1267SG Black Edition.  While I loved the performance and looks I didn't love how thick the wire was.  Especially the plug.  It was so large that it didn't fit well between the standard sized ESC plug and the glitch buster capacitor plug.  So...  I submitted the Futaba under warranty even though it was technically out of the warranty time frame by a few months.  To my pleasant surprise, they agreed to replace it under warranty!  The whole process took about 3 weeks from start to finish.  I was tickled when it arrived a week before the races.  I became less thrilled when I connected it up to my LRP Pulse charger to center up.  The thing went into spasms, and even at no input it just quivered and shook like a nervous dog during a fire works show.  I emailed Futaba and they said to send it back in.  With less than a week before race day, and now no longer trustful of Futaba, I ordered up a new Savox SV-1273TG servo.  One that uses standard sized wire and plugs.  I still need to ship the Futaba back but tonight the new Savox is installed and ready to race!

09.09.2016-20.48.png

Centering up the servo:

09.09.2016-20.49.png

I never have been able to get this servo horn perfectly centered without using trim controls on the transmitter.  The horn is either a bit to the left or a lot to the right.  :(

09.09.2016-20.50.png

Attaching the servo mounts.  Ensure that they're flush with the bottom of the servo and both sides are equal.  I think a set of aluminum hop-ups are in order, don't you?

09.09.2016-20.53.png

All installed!

09.09.2016-20.54.png

The plug fits nicely too.  :)

09.09.2016-20.55.png

09.09.2016-20.56.png

I'll report back after the races on how well this über fast servo worked on the track.

I didn't realize that I left this thread hanging for almost 2 years.  :o  I think this setup was probably my favorite.  The rear motor design held me back vs the mid-motor competition but not as much as my lack of driving skill.  I only got a few races in with this buggy and setup before my wife gave me a 211 for my birthday.  In many ways the 211 is a superior racer but I think the 201 is more fun.  At least I had more fun driving the 201 than I do driving my 211.  As far as the performance of this servo goes, it's top notch!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the update @Effigy3. Due to a fortuitous situation at work i might be in a position to grab one of these or a dn01 from tamiyausa. Was hanging my nose over the build to see what it was like. Saw you had moved to the 211, liked that you gave rear motor a go.

This is a really detailed thread! It convinced me to start my own TRF201 build. I am aware it is an outdated chassis according to today's standards. However, I was able to buy one for cheap on Amazon and I could not pass on the opportunity to build my first general bashing buggy. I will start a thread on here and hope to get some feedback!

• Like 2

Thanks, fellas.  I did transition to the TRF 211 in an attempt to keep up with all the mid-motor Losi, Associated and X-Ray buggies.  Honestly, I'm not strong enough of a driver to notice that much of a difference between the two.  Last place driving a 201 or last place driving a 211 is still last place.  ;)  The 211 didn't push as much and had much better front tire wear but, if I'm being honest, I prefer to drive the 201.

Coach_Rico Given the prices that we can pick up a 201 for here in the States, It might be the best money spent for a basher buggy!  Please send me a link to your build thread and I'll be sure to read it!

On 3/17/2018 at 11:25 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Saw you had moved to the 211, liked that you gave rear motor a go.

It was important to me that I learn to race 2WD stock buggy on a rear motor setup.  Even at that time no one was racing rear motor unless they brought out their beater or old race buggy from "back in the day".  All the regular racers were mid-motor setup.  IMHO racers get caught up in the newer is better and faster trap.  I personally don't think so.  A good racer with a solid setup can perform well regardless of the design of the buggy.  That's not to say on a high bite black-groove clay track or on a carpet track the mid-motor is without it's advantages.  I'm saying that those advantages aren't the thing keep most people out of the A main event.  ;)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

The 211 didn't push as much and had much better front tire wear but, if I'm being honest, I prefer to drive the 201

I hear you. I did pick up that DN01 and I love it. With a bit of spring swapping and damper oil it is so nice to drive. That was a springboard down a hole rabbit hole of race buggy though. I have a 211 with a 3 gear laydown transmission I designed. It's a total front end grip monster, but a lot less forgiving and narrower sweet spot (although it's entirely possible I simply haven't got it set up right yet!). 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 3:12 PM, Effigy3 said:

Thanks, fellas.  I did transition to the TRF 211 in an attempt to keep up with all the mid-motor Losi, Associated and X-Ray buggies.  Honestly, I'm not strong enough of a driver to notice that much of a difference between the two.  Last place driving a 201 or last place driving a 211 is still last place.  ;)  The 211 didn't push as much and had much better front tire wear but, if I'm being honest, I prefer to drive the 201.

Coach_Rico Given the prices that we can pick up a 201 for here in the States, It might be the best money spent for a basher buggy!  Please send me a link to your build thread and I'll be sure to read it!

No problem! here is the link: I am most likely going to start over the weekend but definitely will take my time since I really want to do this right considering my limited experience with RC.

The trickiest part for a newish builder is likely going to be the ball diff. Take you time with it and be on the look-out for the "flip it over" arrow in the manual. I missed it my first go at building it up.

• Thanks 1

I just picked up a TRF201 about a month ago. I was stoked to finally own a TRF as I have been wanting one since I was in my 20s (I'm in my late 40s now).
have run it at 4 events so far and I am known as Mike "The Tamiya" lol. I am the lone rear motor car and the weirdo running a Tamiya in a field of Team Associateds, TLRs and Yokomos.

I am having fun though and learning a bunch. Wish I would have picked this up sooner so I could get parts for it easier.
Thanks for the great write up and blog. 

• Like 3

Since this thread is a few years old, do you guys know what parts are needed to do a slipper eliminator in 2020?
Or who has success with a 77t spur? What size pinion can I use?

50 minutes ago, MikeLouieTKD said:

Since this thread is a few years old, do you guys know what parts are needed to do a slipper eliminator in 2020?
Or who has success with a 77t spur? What size pinion can I use?

Probably your best bet is putting a want ad on the Sales/Wanted forum for a DN01 Zahhak layshaft and spur mount. The DN01 is the mid-range version of the TRF201, and came without a slipper clutch. As for gearing, there are lots of options because the Associated B4 spurs are still available. Not sure what the biggest pinion you can use on a 77t is though. What motor are you running? 

Exotek -#1449 is the slipper eliminator you need. I sold mine last year cause i never used it. Good luck if you can find

On 10/5/2020 at 8:03 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Probably your best bet is putting a want ad on the Sales/Wanted forum for a DN01 Zahhak layshaft and spur mount. The DN01 is the mid-range version of the TRF201, and came without a slipper clutch. As for gearing, there are lots of options because the Associated B4 spurs are still available. Not sure what the biggest pinion you can use on a 77t is though. What motor are you running? 

I am running a Hobbywing 17.5T brushless, sensored.

16 hours ago, MikeLouieTKD said:

I am running a Hobbywing 17.5T brushless, sensored.

That was same as the OP. I would say you need to pick up an Associated 69t spur and a 30t pinion. You need gearing around 6 FDR for that motor. I used to run 72 spur with 28t on my 13.5 at it flew. 

On 10/5/2020 at 4:32 AM, MikeLouieTKD said:

I just picked up a TRF201 about a month ago. I was stoked to finally own a TRF as I have been wanting one since I was in my 20s (I'm in my late 40s now).
have run it at 4 events so far and I am known as Mike "The Tamiya" lol. I am the lone rear motor car and the weirdo running a Tamiya in a field of Team Associateds, TLRs and Yokomos.

I am having fun though and learning a bunch. Wish I would have picked this up sooner so I could get parts for it easier.
Thanks for the great write up and blog. 

Good to be different 😉