I was running my old Monster Beetle just today after many years of disuse and I noticed something that got me thinking. When the vehicle was in a rough spot and really needed some torque on the wheels, I noticed the wheels (aluminum rims) were just 'slipping' inside the tires. That is, the tires were not spinning, but the motor, tranny, differential, axles, and rims were all moving. There is apparently not enough grip between the tire and rim to organically prevent this.

A long-standing question I also have, which I imagine relates in a round about way, is this: I can't figure out why my Monster Beetle has shocks. Every time I hit a bump that would normally actuate the shocks, the tires just compress. When running the car the shocks do not move even once. The tires just 'deflate' to absorb the shock. (To be clear, the re-inflate each time, too.)

Both of these seem to indicate a poor contact between tire and rim. How do you guys deal with this? Or do you at all? Should I be gluing my tires onto the rims? Should I buy slightly smaller tires? I'd love to hear feedback from the community.

Thanks!

First of all, welcome to TamiyaClub! :)

You need to use three small drops of loctite to glue the rim to the tire to keep those tires doing the job.

I understand what you say about the shocks. The original yellow shocks are way too stiff for this vehicle. You might want to find softer springs for them or a newer set of shocks for your Monster Beetle.

You have a good Friday! :)

• Like 1

Loctite? I use ca glue for glueing plastic rims to rubber tires, but I'm not sure about how to glue alloy rims.

By the way, welcome to TC! :)

Could always try the elastic band trick. 2 tight elastic bands on each wheel (inner tyre rim and outer tyre rim) and then slip the tyres onto the wheels. Shouldnt have much slip after that.

James

:)

I only ever use silicone sealant to fix a tyre to a wheel - much easier to clean off than super glue when the need arises.

• Like 1

^^^^^

What they said, elastic bands, if still slipping, bathroom silicone, if all all else fails CA-just a pig to replace tyres

Am I the only one using Shoe Goo to "glue" the tires to the rims?.

Not yet, but you sound as I should give it a try for my Monster Beetle and King Blackfoot builds.

Not yet, but you sound as I should give it a try for my Monster Beetle and King Blackfoot builds.

Best part is - it never "hardens" as opposed to CA or superglue, so very easy to remove and doesn't put extra width on the rim as rubberbands.

[Edit:] And yes - works equally well on plastic and alloys.

I was going to try PVA, sticky but easy peel

• Like 1