IceBox

MK1 Sand Scorcher restoration CL find

Hi , I found this site while researching a MK1. Picked this up on CraigsList a few weeks ago. I had a Sand Scorcher as a kid in the early 80's which is long gone. After some research my plan to rebuild this with modern hop-ups changed. The plan is to restore it original as I can. I bought a new re-re for the modern build !

image.jpg3.jpg

image.jpg4.jpg

image.jpg5.jpg

The body looks to be free of cracks ,,,

image.jpg6.jpg

I ran a test in the photo section and was able to share a link using PhotoBucket ,, I'll stop here with the pictures until I'm sure Its working correctly.

• Like 3

What a great project. Who doesn't love the lines of the one and only original Sand Scorcher VW body!

Great , The pictures seemed to go through.

I disassembled and cleaned the front end. Bought some replacments for the bent pins.

image.jpg2.jpg

Soaked in thinner and ran through the dishwasher ,, Still needs a light wire brushing or polishing.

image.jpg1.jpg

First item of concern. I'm in need of a right front upper trailing arm ,,, The thin type as pictured on the left.

I have a WTB ad posted with some luck but hope to find one locally to avoid some cost.

Thanks for looking ,, Steve (USA)

When it rains it pours. Scored this box of "parts" from a co worker.

image.jpg1_1.jpg

One looks to be a MK1 Rough Rider ,, mostly complete including the original box and broken body. It has a MK1 gear case, rear arms, and MK1 screw type front towers. Unfortunitly it has latter type thick MK2 front arms !

The second looks to be a MK2 Scorcher ,,, no motor or body but also close enough parts to build a roller.

Both these cars have been very well used and put away in pieces. I'll need to take a good look to the real condition of each.

I'm still in need of the MK1 right front upper arm ,, I might have other spare parts to trade now !

Thanks for looking , Steve (USA)

• Like 2

What a great find, I don't think I know anyone but me who are into Vintage Tamiya. It doesn't come up in conversation much, I'm still in the closet, lol

It’s been awhile ! I’m back on this ,, Completed the front end today ! Completely refurbished 

A6B64D79-27B4-4F4B-BE70-57E3E5C64BCA.jpeg

• Like 5

Rear section cleaned and assembled. Next step is to choose a motor, I have 3 originals to choose from . 

49CE0324-097B-4AD2-8747-BA032B6190AD.jpeg

• Like 5

This is very awesome!!! I am very envious, I constantly read posts about coworkers giving people vintage RCs. That NEVER happens to me!!!

Scorcher is looking great!  Looking forward to more updates... I'm looking for an mk1 gearbox to fix my broken one. In case your going to sell one let me know. 🙂 

Stripped the body. Planning alternative box art paint scheme but green and red instead of yellow and red. Re-Pop orignal decals from eBay. I have the original door handles. Taillight , second license plate , new glass from a re-re coming from Hong Kong. No mirrors as of now , I can always add them latter if I find a set. I did a little more to the chassis. Getting closer ! I’ll add more pictures latter , Thanks for looking. 

Id like to see the broken case you have . I might have something ,  Possably let go of a complete disassembled chassis depending on where you live. Anything outside the cont. US is a giant hassle for shipping.

8952C9D8-A151-4F6A-8838-6F5512A6D9E4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, IceBox said:

Stripped the body. Planning alternative box art paint scheme but green and red instead of yellow and red. Re-Pop orignal decals from eBay. I have the original door handles. Taillight , second license plate , new glass from a re-re coming from Hong Kong. No mirrors as of now , I can always add them latter if I find a set. I did a little more to the chassis. Getting closer ! I’ll add more pictures latter , Thanks for looking. 

Id like to see the broken case you have . I might have something ,  Possably let go of a complete disassembled chassis depending on where you live. Anything outside the cont. US is a giant hassle for shipping.

8952C9D8-A151-4F6A-8838-6F5512A6D9E4.jpeg

I just chucked it out the other day got frustrated with it. Should have taken a pic first it  was really in bad shape...☹ it won't even line up properly too.. In the 48 states😃

Back to this. Installed the motor wiring ends. The electronics box with front and rear assemblies installed on chassis plate. Tested , the original electronics seem operational. The body is sitting it’s first coat of primer. I decided on a  paint scheme . Hope to have this completed in a few weeks .

CA9CD2E9-1EEF-4553-A7D4-1E1C68A0AB3C.jpeg

• Like 5

Painted the body . Going to wait a month before detailing , polishing and clear coating . This is sitting on my MK1 chassis . The other three chassis from left to right , MK2 , MK1 rear with a MK2 front ( these two , I built from the pile of parts I posted earlier in this thread ) , and the far right in a 2010 re-re . I have enough parts to complete assembly on all. 

9BDC5FB4-4FBB-4F53-B596-426AC332DDFC.jpeg

635B44B6-9E93-422A-A1D4-4F01272A8B32.jpeg

• Like 1